Sign in to follow this  

bought some flexx bars

well i made the mistake of riding a buds cr with flexx bars and i had to have a pair. i sold a bunch of old ktm stuff i had lying around and picked up some flexx bars for the yz. all i can say is these things are awesome!! they are pricey but really well made. also they are made in the us 100%. for any of you guys converting stock yz to woods weapons these bars will make a huge difference. they may even allow you to run stock mx suspension more effectively rather than revalving for the woods. this way when you do an occasional track day all you have to do is put on the stiffer elastomers on the flexx bars. they are extremely tunable and really soak up the trail trash. well worth the dough:thumbsup:

I just installed mine, and rode Sunday. (kept the stock red bumpers, haven't tried the softer ones)

I like the bend/height/etc compared to stock bars, and I did notice a bit less fatigue and less tingling/numbness in my clutch hand with them . . . just what the doctor ordered.;-)

Which color elastomers are you running?

i acutally tried all three. right now i have the soft blue ones on with 4 threads showing. i love the extra cushion for the woods. we are going to ride a track next weekend so i'll probably throw the yellow or reds one on.

They're not bad are they rodgini!

I've had my suspension revalved for off-road riding (Smart Performance Inc setup) and whilst I'm very happy with the results, its nice to take the last little bit of edge off all the small trail chop.

Used in conjunction with good suspension they bring the bike one step closer to 'magic carpet' status.

I run the hard elastomers in all conditions - hardpack, rock, sand. I find going too soft hinders the 'feedback' through the bars particularly when riding tight singletrail and looking for traction up front.

Overall I'm stoked with the product and highly recommend it for off-road riders.

Furthermore they work brillianty when used in conjunction with the purpose built probend handguards. Finally, a set of guards which bolt to the bars and cannot physically spin on the bar after a stack.

Berg

They're not bad are they rodgini!

I've had my suspension revalved for off-road riding (Smart Performance Inc setup) and whilst I'm very happy with the results, its nice to take the last little bit of edge off all the small trail chop.

Used in conjunction with good suspension they bring the bike one step closer to 'magic carpet' status.

I run the hard elastomers in all conditions - hardpack, rock, sand. I find going too soft hinders the 'feedback' through the bars particularly when riding tight singletrail and looking for traction up front.

Overall I'm stoked with the product and highly recommend it for off-road riders.

Furthermore they work brillianty when used in conjunction with the purpose built probend handguards. Finally, a set of guards which bolt to the bars and cannot physically spin on the bar after a stack.

Berg

yeah i am still going to mess around with the setup. i noticed you can really fine tune the setup with the torque you apply to the lock nuts. i am running the enduro 12 degree BTW and i put my cycra probends on with the brp handguard mounts. i also tapped the bars end and installed helicoil inserts. trick setup all around. also want to note that besides soaking up the trail trash they also pretty much eliminate vibration. great product.

heres a pic from my phone

IMG00017-20110402-1903.jpg

yeah i am still going to mess around with the setup. i noticed you can really fine tune the setup with the torque you apply to the lock nuts. i am running the enduro 12 degree BTW and i put my cycra probends on with the brp handguard mounts. i also tapped the bars end and installed helicoil inserts. trick setup all around. also want to note that besides soaking up the trail trash they also pretty much eliminate vibration. great product.

heres a pic from my phone

IMG00017-20110402-1903.jpg

Damm, you sure are getting into the fine tuning. I notice your mixing the elastomers too... nice work. Might have to experiment a little more myself too. Incidentally, I think the first incarnation of the product only ever had damping in one direction, for compression not rebound - so they only ran the one elastomer.

I'm also running the Cycra probends. Love the idea of tapping the bar end with a helicoil - your an ideas man, I like it :cheers:

I opted for the 12 degree moto bend. I figured that if I wanted to convert them to the enduro bar I could just cut the bar ends down a little. The moto bend is a little wide for woods, but I've gotten used to it. The extra width pays dividends when I switch to flat out whoopy sand terrain.

From what I gather Virginia's got some pretty sweet woods riding, so the enduro bend fits the bill nicely?

That's not a bad collection of bikes you've got there either... though that poor suzuki in the background is looking a little left out amongst all the blue :ride:

I would like to get a set but I bend/break bars to often to spend that much. I think im just gonna get some rg3's instead.

bolted mine on over the weekend, but wont have a chance to use them for 3 more weeks :cheers:

good to hear other people are liking them!

chris<pixelmonkey>:ride:

Damm, you sure are getting into the fine tuning. I notice your mixing the elastomers too... nice work. Might have to experiment a little more myself too. Incidentally, I think the first incarnation of the product only ever had damping in one direction, for compression not rebound - so they only ran the one elastomer.

I'm also running the Cycra probends. Love the idea of tapping the bar end with a helicoil - your an ideas man, I like it :cheers:

I opted for the 12 degree moto bend. I figured that if I wanted to convert them to the enduro bar I could just cut the bar ends down a little. The moto bend is a little wide for woods, but I've gotten used to it. The extra width pays dividends when I switch to flat out whoopy sand terrain.

From what I gather Virginia's got some pretty sweet woods riding, so the enduro bend fits the bill nicely?

That's not a bad collection of bikes you've got there either... though that poor suzuki in the background is looking a little left out amongst all the blue :ride:

the flexx bars are meant to be fine tuned by turning the locknut in and out. you can also adjust ride height that way. basically the more threads you have showing the stiffer they will be. they said to run them between 3-5 threads showing.

the helicoil is a popular mod and lots of guys sell kits that come with the proper tap, helicoil and bolts for $20. awesome mod and gets rid of the lame wedges.

the only bike in my garage thats mine is the yz in the pic. "if you build it they will come" i have a back yard mx track and the bikes just seem to keep showing up and not leaving. that rm250 was the most recent. that bike is tits!! other wise we have a cr250, ktm 200exc, ktm200sx, rt100, another yz250 and a chinese pit bike (which is the only 4-stroke i might add). if my bike is torn down i have no problem finding one to ride- it's part of the storage fee. :p

Rode a practice day at a hare scramble track.

1st lap

- ran the bars the way they were delivered. red on inside and out. no adjustments to the bolts, so i didnt know what to expect.

couldn't tell a difference between the flexx bars and the pro tapers they replaced, other than being a bit taller *Which was NICE!*

After lap 1

- a blister of my own fault. didnt add powder to my gloves before the ride. doh!

- felt the same fatigue and numbness in my arms and hands as i've always felt.

- swapped the cushion spacers with Yellow on the inside and Blue on the outside. 3 threads showing. I wanted to feel a difference!

Lap 2

- powder was not found in the gear bag, double doh!

- enter the first turn into the trees and thats when it hit me... WOW!

- 1/2 mile into the course and i'm sold! these bars were a great investment!

- forks aren't as harsh

- vibration from the bike is still present, but isnt noticed

- no finger/hand numbness

it's likely going to be another 4-7 years before another MFG can legally sell some type of a knock-off bar that mimics the look and function of these bars. I know flexx has, or is working on a patent number, so it's going to take some time.

if you're thinking about going with these bars, but cant justify the price, re-consider! They are worth the riding pleasure they provide.

I spoke with a few other riders that have the flexx bars, and they have all said that running the installed "Red" cushions is almost equal to having no cushions.

The cushion from pulling back on the bars to lift the front or get over an obstacle is noticeable the first couple times pulling back, but the learning curve is almost nill! nada, absent!

Thank you Fasst!

chris<pixelmonkey>:thumbsup:

Considering a set, and wondering if anyone has feedback on 10 degree sweep vs. 12 or 14 degree sweep?

Considering a set, and wondering if anyone has feedback on 10 degree sweep vs. 12 or 14 degree sweep?

depends what bar you usually run? i ran a protaper cr high and Flexx recommended the 12 degree. if you call flexx they will tell you the model that mtches your preffered bar. super cool guys!