Stonyford information/suggestions

California

I'm trying to plan for a trip to Stonyford on this year's Memorial Day weekend, it will be my first visit there. It's supposed to be a 3-day riding trip(3 days, 2 nights), camping with tents. For those who know the place, what's the best way to get there?(coming from the south through I-5). I hear there's two different entrances. If I'm sleeping in a tent, where are the better camping spots for that? I'd say I'm sort of an intermediate rider and I love woods riding, prefer narrow trails rather than "fire roads", and some hill climbing in between is nice too, not afraid of challenging areas. Also, how far out is it to "town" or some area with gas/snacks/food/drinks? I'd welcome some suggestions/advice on riding and camping there.

Heading north on 5, you will want to exit at Maxwell which is just North of Williams. Head west until the "town" of Ladoga. Take a right on Ladoga-Stonyford road. Follow that for a few miles and then there's Goat Mountain Rd on the left which holds the campground that I would recommend for tent camping. Otherwise, don't turn on Goat Mountain and keep heading down the road till the town of Stonyford itself. Then head west on Fouts Springs road. Far enough down that you will hit Davis flat, which is where everyone takes their toy haulers and what have you.

Closest town for supplies reliably would be Maxwell/Williams. Stonyford may have some stuff at the general store but I wouldn't count on their supply or their hours.

The campground at the Lil' Stony staging area (off Goat Mountain) is pretty small so you'll want to make sure you get there early. I don't know if you can lock up those spots ahead of time, but it may be worth looking into.

Depending on the snow load, you may get some good single track, or you may not. The lower elevation stuff there will surely be challenging enough for you, but it's more of the quad track sized trail. However, the elevation changes and difficulty of the terrain will keep you busy. By Memorial day, the snow should be high enough that you'll be able to get into the majority of the upper elevation riding which is much more tight, wooded kind of stuff. That is assuming we don't get another big storm by then.

Driving from Stonyford the town to either staging area is like 10 minutes, to get to Maxwell is like 30. Add another 10 for Williams.

Feel free to PM me with questions or post em here.

thanks for the information! I'm hoping the snow does go down by the end of May, heck, it will be almost June at that point! Are there any more camping spots besides Lil' Stony and Davis Flat? My dad might want to stay away from the crowds a bit. How about bathrooms? Any porta-potties out there? Water, any wells with hand pumps or maybe a stream where one can get water? And how about firewood/grills? Is it possible to gather up some dried firewood? Any grills like this: maui_grill.jpg I'm trying to get a picture of what to expect there and what to bring with me. Thanks!

I've never camped at either so I'm not real knowledgeable on that part. I know the Lil Stony campground has bathrooms, but no water and no grills. Just fire pits. I'm assuming that over at Davis Flat/Fouts Springs it's the same scenario, but one of the guys on here would probably know more than me about that.

There are some additional campgrounds up in the mountains, adds quite a bit of drive time for you though. I can't quite remember the name of those campgrounds. Someone else would have to provide that info.

I've never camped at either so I'm not real knowledgeable on that part. I know the Lil Stony campground has bathrooms, but no water and no grills. Just fire pits. I'm assuming that over at Davis Flat/Fouts Springs it's the same scenario, but one of the guys on here would probably know more than me about that.

There are some additional campgrounds up in the mountains, adds quite a bit of drive time for you though. I can't quite remember the name of those campgrounds. Someone else would have to provide that info.

Great, thanks! So it looks like I'll be needing to bring extra water and a portable gas grill.

You could always call the Stonyford Ranger Station 530.963.3128

They would probably answer all your questions. Make sure you get a map as well. It can

get pretty confusing around there. I don't know how people go w/o a map.

You could always call the Stonyford Ranger Station 530.963.3128

They would probably answer all your questions. Make sure you get a map as well. It can

get pretty confusing around there. I don't know how people go w/o a map.

Thanks for the number, I'll give them a call for sure. Maps can be pretty handy, huh? The GPS unit is coming with me, that's for sure, I'll try to get the map too.

Thanks for the number, I'll give them a call for sure. Maps can be pretty handy, huh? The GPS unit is coming with me, that's for sure, I'll try to get the map too.

Ya honestly I hate using maps, but it's a must for that place. Search around the

CA forum and there are some stories about guys spending the night out there. lol

I don't go to Stony very often, but when I do, I usually just haul ass from trail to

trail, not really knowing where I'm going. When my tank is about halfway gone, I'll

bust out the map, locate myself and start working my way back to camp. Other-

wise I'll be pulling the map out every 2-3 intersections. That sucks.

Look at the MC/Stoney maps on line.

In the middle and they are joined as one big ass place

is some smaller stuff. I think it is Mace Mill or I would

go to Deer Valley at MC and make runs in all directions

and your camping ride options double.

Little Stoney will probably be full, but there is only like 5 campspots, so the crowds wont be a problem for camping. Davis flats has maybe 10 tent sites and then the open area (separated from "the flats") which would give you enough space to not have to deal with all the riff raff. Now "the flats" will be packed with trailers, and it is just that, flat. You might get lucky and get a spot with a table or a fire pit, but maybe not.

Going in on Fouts Springs road you can take M5 about 7-mi to Old Mill CG wich is under trees and has maybe another 5 spots to camp. Fire rings and pit toilets. This will be your least crowded spot because it is 7-mi of dirt to get there. There are two more CG up on the hill. One at Letts Lake (not sure if snow will be a prob), but you have to trailer the bikes 1/2 mile to entrance. One more CG on the hill, but I forget the name. Best bet for wooded camping, but it is deep. 10+ miles of dirt road after the 10-mi of pavement.

If you have kids that struggle on hills stay away from lil Stony.

Little Stoney will probably be full, but there is only like 5 campspots, so the crowds wont be a problem for camping. Davis flats has maybe 10 tent sites and then the open area (separated from "the flats") which would give you enough space to not have to deal with all the riff raff. Now "the flats" will be packed with trailers, and it is just that, flat. You might get lucky and get a spot with a table or a fire pit, but maybe not.

Going in on Fouts Springs road you can take M5 about 7-mi to Old Mill CG wich is under trees and has maybe another 5 spots to camp. Fire rings and pit toilets. This will be your least crowded spot because it is 7-mi of dirt to get there. There are two more CG up on the hill. One at Letts Lake (not sure if snow will be a prob), but you have to trailer the bikes 1/2 mile to entrance. One more CG on the hill, but I forget the name. Best bet for wooded camping, but it is deep. 10+ miles of dirt road after the 10-mi of pavement.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like camping spots might be VERY limited, almost zero chance of finding a spot if I'm going on Memorial Day weekend probably.:cheers: I usually prefer not to drive too far through dirt roads, 10 mi of pavement + 7 miles of dirt sounds a bit overkill for my taste, so I think I'll try for Li' Stony first and if that doesn't work out I'll try Davis Flat.

If you have kids that struggle on hills stay away from lil Stony.

No kids coming with us, maybe one new rider, but most likely it will just be my dad and myself. We LOVE hills, so that shouldn't be a problem. With some hard work I managed to print myself some maps of the area, printed out maps of the whole general area with Davis Flat and Lil' Stony on one page and then two legal size pages for each section, also printed out a map with Middle Creek and Penny Pines, as well as two pages with those separate in more detail. The map issue should be taken care of now. From just looking at the map it seems it wouldn't be hard to connect all four riding spots (Davis Flat, Lil' Stony, Penny Pines, Middle Creek). For someone who loves riding wooded tight trails and hills, which area should I focus on? I'd hate to spend most of my time on quad trails if there's better stuff to ride.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like camping spots might be VERY limited, almost zero chance of finding a spot if I'm going on Memorial Day weekend probably.:cheers: I usually prefer not to drive too far through dirt roads, 10 mi of pavement + 7 miles of dirt sounds a bit overkill for my taste, so I think I'll try for Li' Stony first and if that doesn't work out I'll try Davis Flat.

No kids coming with us, maybe one new rider, but most likely it will just be my dad and myself. We LOVE hills, so that shouldn't be a problem. With some hard work I managed to print myself some maps of the area, printed out maps of the whole general area with Davis Flat and Lil' Stony on one page and then two legal size pages for each section, also printed out a map with Middle Creek and Penny Pines, as well as two pages with those separate in more detail. The map issue should be taken care of now. From just looking at the map it seems it wouldn't be hard to connect all four riding spots (Davis Flat, Lil' Stony, Penny Pines, Middle Creek). For someone who loves riding wooded tight trails and hills, which area should I focus on? I'd hate to spend most of my time on quad trails if there's better stuff to ride.

Basically all trails west of 28 are going to be more tight. Generally 28 and east are wider trails. Go ahead and stay away from everything up by Wolf Creek staging and Davis Flat as well. You really want to get over south and west more. The teens, 6 and trails in that vicinity. These are all going to be subject to snow though.

Basically all trails west of 28 are going to be more tight. Generally 28 and east are wider trails. Go ahead and stay away from everything up by Wolf Creek staging and Davis Flat as well. You really want to get over south and west more. The teens, 6 and trails in that vicinity. These are all going to be subject to snow though.

ok, I'll try to stay on the southwest side of things. How's the area by Middle Creek and Penny Pines?

ok, I'll try to stay on the southwest side of things. How's the area by Middle Creek and Penny Pines?

Much more of what you're looking for in terms of trails

Much more of what you're looking for in terms of trails

Great! I'll definitely check it out. How long would you say it takes to connect from Lil' Stony to Penny Pines on the bike?

Great! I'll definitely check it out. How long would you say it takes to connect from Lil' Stony to Penny Pines on the bike?

~50 miles. Couple of hours. You're not doing it this time of year though thanks to the snow drifts at the top of the mountain. If you're really lucky you can by memorial day, I wouldn't count on it though.

~50 miles. Couple of hours. You're not doing it this time of year though thanks to the snow drifts at the top of the mountain. If you're really lucky you can by memorial day, I wouldn't count on it though.

oh crap, that's a LONG ride, it might call for a whole different riding trip at a later time. My bike's gas range is not all that great(yz450f), maybe 45 miles on a tank of gas. Looks like I'll have plenty of trails for 3 days.

Call the work center and have them send you maps of both places. The Upper Lake map has Pilsbury on it also. They are killer maps that are plasticized so they dont get f'ed in rain.

530-963-3128

snow wont be a problem in May.

Lil stony will be good for a spot on Memorial day if you get there Friday.

Call the work center and have them send you maps of both places. The Upper Lake map has Pilsbury on it also. They are killer maps that are plasticized so they dont get f'ed in rain.

530-963-3128

snow wont be a problem in May.

Lil stony will be good for a spot on Memorial day if you get there Friday.

thanks, I'll give them a call. The plan is to get there late thursday or early friday, so hopefully it works out.