Sign in to follow this  

Wide ratio trans???

Im just wondering if there is anyway to make my 07 Yz250 2st have a wide ratio trans like the Ktm xcw. I love my bike but im switching gears all the time. Just wondering if there is anyway or kits or something to make this happen?

Yes there is a way to make a wide ratio for your YZ! Search tool is your friend.

Check out the FAQ sticky at the top, probably 3rd thread down. Links to a how-to, part numbers, discussions, etc.

The short version is you can use gears from the wr400, 426, or 450. You can do the full 1st-5th, 3rd-5th, or 5th only. I did 5th only, I think I'd spring for 1-5 if doing it again. The gap from yz 4th to wr 5th is very large.

Pm me your email and I can send an excel sheet that breaks down all the gearing options and lets you play with sprocket ratio, tire size, peak rpm, etc and compares the effects of it all. All things equal a wr gearbox gives about 9 mph more top speed on a stock bike. Spreadsheet will come tomorrow, only have my phone at home right now.

i put a 15 on the front of mine and now i do very little shifting, i use mine for woods riding although, 52 on the rear, mainly because it was there and good ! think i could go to a 48 or 9 as a next step higher, i wanted to change the gear box but with the rekluse and those gears for me i don't really see any reason now unless one just fell in my lap of coarse. for trails unless you have some super fast ones those gears will carry you along at a very brisk pace ..............

i put a 15 on the front of mine and now i do very little shifting, i use mine for woods riding although, 52 on the rear, mainly because it was there and good ! think i could go to a 48 or 9 as a next step higher, i wanted to change the gear box but with the rekluse and those gears for me i don't really see any reason now unless one just fell in my lap of coarse. for trails unless you have some super fast ones those gears will carry you along at a very brisk pace ..............

I think it depends a lot on what the trails you ride consist of.

In Arizona we had a certian "hike-a-bike" trail that was brutal. I typically ran 15/51 gearing, but for this trail I'd go 13/51 and still feel like it was too high in 1st half the time. Lots of huge rocks, waterfall climbs, etc. My first time out there 4 out of 10 guys quit early, saying it was too stupid hard, and a 5th got hurt and cut out early. All were solid B or better harescramble riders. There were some sections that you were doing very well if you didn't need someone to help lift/pull/push/catch as you came up and through.

On this same loop we'd often hit old mining roads to connect sections where you can easily cruise 60 mph for miles. Want to see where the YZ transmission sucks? Range. You can gear it to go fast or gear it to go slow, not both. I missed my old KDX transmission, very low 1st (2nd is even lower than the YZ 1st), then nicely spaced through the rest, with a 6th gear considerably higher than the YZ's 5th. Creep like a tractor and still pull over 80 mph (mine was dual sported and geared down).

Now back in Michigan I've had no problem running 15/51 anywhere I've gone so far, and hardly use 1st, so a WR transmission would fall much further down my "wants" list here.

yea but wouldn't a 6 spd be nice too ? that way you could tractor up the worst of stuff and hit 90 + on top end for those wide open sections.

i just ride enduro's here, lots of tough rocky up hill stuff too, not for the faint of heart either, sometimes a trails bike would be nice in those sections too. i don't really like the x country stuff just mainly due to the speed on the open sections. but with my rekluse i can conquer those hills with e-z that use to seem harder also, in 2 more weeks we head into mo. for an enduro and last year it was tough, but i was on a 4 t then and i could hardly ride it on flat land too , this year will be much easier on the yz, hated it last year and look forward to the challenge this year back on a 2 t again. i say bring on the hills and rocks ...........................

Is the ye olde WR250's gearbox a viable candidate for a swap?

In a word, No! As mentioned before, check the sticky out! Look for a WR400 or WR426 for a donor transmission, you do not need the shift forks just the shafts and gears or you can buy new, but I think some of the parts are on backorder at this time. This will give you everything gearing wise that the KTM wide ratio offers plus better power(in my humble opinion):cheers:

If you are talking about the old 2-stroke WR gearbox, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. There are people that have swapped those into older ('96-'98?) YZs.

Not sure what I have(I bought the bike with the WR gearset) but it works very well.I can normally get away with running 14/48 in the tight stuff,and swap to a 15 for more open riding.But IMO the WR gears rock!