Sign in to follow this  

Basic DRZ250 questions

Hey, guys just picked up a 2001 Drz 250 for a killer deal. I have some basic questions about the bike.

Does anyone know of a free shop manual for this bike online? If I can find one, I won't need any of these questions answered.

First, what oil does this bike take? 10W40??

and how much.

Second, I've never had a bike with an oil cooler before, are their any additional steps during oil change? such as draining the oil radiator?

Any tips for setting tappets?

Thanks in advance!

Oil should be 1.1 quarts (with filter change) of 10W-40 motorcycle specific oil. No extra steps with cooler as it will drain with crankcase.

Thanks GlennF.

I've only ever had "old school" 4-strokes with removeable tappet covers. Do I just take off the cylinder head cover to adjust the tappets?

The bike is making a very light tapping noise from the head, I'm hoping that's all I need to do to shut it up.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would get a shop service manual before you attempt to adjust valve clearances. The DRZ250 uses "shim & bucket" tappets. To change clearances, you have to change the shims in the tappet bodies. It is a much more tedious procedure than the screw and locknut systems, but stays in spec longer. How many miles are on your bike?

It may be a cam chain tensioner making the noise, or the chain itself. To get at the valves, you must remove the seat and gas tank.

Thanks again.

A manual is on it's way.

The noise is sounds like a metal on metal smacking or tapping. The engine starts, idles, and runs fine. But this noise concerns me. Do you think a cam chain/tensioner is most likely the problem?

Does the noise increase or go away when you increase throttle opening? Use the old trick of putting a plastic or wood screwdriver handle to your ear and move the blade around against the engine until you can isolate the noise, much like a stethoscope. Usually, valves will lose tappet clearance as the valves seat in the head rather than getting loose, especially with shim & bucket systems. The cam chain tensioner is a plastic type device tensioned by the spring loaded adjuster. I only bring that up because your bike is 10 years old.

The head noise is always there. Any RPM any Temperature. It seems to be more obvious at high RPM. I will give that screwdriver trick a try, But I think it's coming from the front left exhaust valve (the one closest to the header).

I'm starting to doubt It's the cam chain/tenisioner, I would think that would make a more steady "racket" rather then a clear smack or tap. But maybe not?

What other problems could be making this sound? I'm only guessing tappets because the engine still runs good. could I be possibly looking at new valves?

At least I've got plenty of time to figure it out. I won't have any trails open around here for at least another month. Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I got a DRZ 250 early in the winter which was plated in another state. I was able to register it in my state and got the plates last week. The bike has a baja kit, I just need to hook up the rear blinkers.

1. I have only one beam working in the headlight. The Baja kit has two sockets one for a single beam light and another socket for a high/low beam light. But the high/low beam socket does not fit in the headlamp assembly. Do I need both the high and low beam to work to pass inspection?

2. I have a plastic tank.

3. I do not have a chain guard.

4. My speedo meter cable is broken ( and I am not able to figure out the correct cable as this was a dirt bike converted for road use and the speedometer has been updated from the original trip meter)

5. The license plate lamp is not working.

6. Will bar end mirrors suffice for the inspection?

Now for the inspection...

I can somehow take care of #4 & #5 if needed, but are any of the above issues a problem in a regular bike inspection? Does anybody know?

Anything else I need to know?

IMAG0168.jpg

I'm confused, If you have plates, or even if the bike was already titled, Why are you worried about inspection?

I'm confused, If you have plates, or even if the bike was already titled, Why are you worried about inspection?

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I had bought this bike from another person a couple months ago and I registered it only last week. This bike was originally a dirt bike that was converted for road use.

In my state (Massachusetts) you need to get the bike inspected within one week of registration and once every year.

Hope this helps

Wow, to solve your problems, just move to Colorado.

Just kidding,

about your speedo cable, just look on the parts diagram here at TT. They have a replacement odo cable for just under $20. Most aftermarket speedo's will work with this cable.

In colorado, you only need one mirror and bar end mirrors are fine, but check your local laws or call local DMV/law enforcement to be sure.

Again, where I live, Hi/Low beam headlights are not required, but double check.

It sounds like the laws are more strict In MA, here all you need is a working brake light, headlight, horn and one mirror to be legal.

speedo, chain guard, license plate light, hi/low beams and metal tanks are not needed.

Just find out who preforms the inspection (state patrol, DMV) and ask them what's needed.

I would also suggest starting a new forum. You would target more people and people on the right subject.

Hope this helps.

Wow, to solve your problems, just move to Colorado.

Just kidding,

about your speedo cable, just look on the parts diagram here at TT. They have a replacement odo cable for just under $20. Most aftermarket speedo's will work with this cable.

In colorado, you only need one mirror and bar end mirrors are fine, but check your local laws or call local DMV/law enforcement to be sure.

:thumbsup:Thanks for the suggestions. I will check TT for the Speedo cable.

Seems like a move to Colorado would be good, just need to find somebody to buy my house for a bit more than the market price. :cheers: