How durable are Lifan engines?

I put a Lifan 125cc engine on my 1974 Honda XL70, I recently bought a used honda carb that looked like my original. I put my jets into it and for some reason it`s has twice the power now. I dont have enough road in my nieghborhood streets to top it out but I was around highway speed today.

What is the maximum rpm`s the engine can take?

I`m exceeding the factory specs.

It gets like 2 miles per gallon now lol.

It`s freaking scarey.

The engines are very reliable, how ever the assembly line isn't- locktite and torque specs are frequently missing. It's a 50/50 crap shoot on whether any given engine (or bike) was assembled correctly. The recommended way to make a Lifan last is to take it apart and re- assemble it making sure everything is tightened down properly.

There a quite a few Lifan forums out there and this seems to be the one constant on all of them- good engines, just bad production line workers.

The engines are very reliable, how ever the assembly line isn't- locktite and torque specs are frequently missing. It's a 50/50 crap shoot on whether any given engine (or bike) was assembled correctly. The recommended way to make a Lifan last is to take it apart and re- assemble it making sure everything is tightened down properly.

There a quite a few Lifan forums out there and this seems to be the one constant on all of them- good engines, just bad production line workers.

I should have bought it from HooperImports.com

The problem now is my transmission seems to be going out, when I down shift from 3rd it goes into neutral and I have to upshift then down shift again.

Can you point me to a lifan forum? Hooper imports wont answer my emails, when I ask for tech info.

Lifan engines in general are pretty durable but it sounds like yours has been abused. Time to pull the transmission apart and see what's going on. I own 3 of them. The 200 has over 24,000 miles with zero problems.

Lifan engines in general are pretty durable but it sounds like yours has been abused. Time to pull the transmission apart and see what's going on. I own 3 of them. The 200 has over 24,000 miles with zero problems.

Yea I do run it hard though. The gear ratios kinda suck. First gear it does like 3 or 4 mph. it hits high rpm`s on all the gears pretty quick.

Do they make different sized gears for these transmissions. this engine was in sketchy shape they day I got it. The were even nice enough to drop it off upside down in the box on my porch lol.

I`m trying for high speed, it has enough torque.

Best you can do is change the sprocket sizes to whatever is optimum for your use. A single tooth larger on the front sprocket can make a big difference. Horizontal Lifan engines do have a very low 1st gear. My theory is they're made for everyday transportation on small motorcycles and designed to start off in second gear using first as a granny gear for steep low speed hills with heavy loads.

Yea I do run it hard though. The gear ratios kinda suck. First gear it does like 3 or 4 mph. it hits high rpm`s on all the gears pretty quick.

Do they make different sized gears for these transmissions. this engine was in sketchy shape they day I got it. The were even nice enough to drop it off upside down in the box on my porch lol.

I`m trying for high speed, it has enough torque.

Best you can do is change the sprocket sizes to whatever is optimum for your use. A single tooth larger on the front sprocket can make a big difference. Horizontal Lifan engines do have a very low 1st gear. My theory is they're made for everyday transportation on small motorcycles and designed to start off in second gear using first as a granny gear for steep low speed hills with heavy loads.

I hope this helps and not hijacks....

What size chain does the 200 have?

If you put a bigger cs sprocket on it, what size chain would then be best?

Is there a beefier chain you could put on it that is still on the cheap side?

oops just seen op has a 125 and I guess being on a honda makes a difference also..

• 2 years later...

I put a Lifan 125cc engine on my 1974 Honda XL70, I recently bought a used honda carb that looked like my original. I put my jets into it and for some reason it`s has twice the power now. I dont have enough road in my nieghborhood streets to top it out but I was around highway speed today.

What is the maximum rpm`s the engine can take?

I`m exceeding the factory specs.

It gets like 2 miles per gallon now lol.

It`s freaking scarey.

What was the Honda carb off, I'd been keen to do this to mine ?

i had one. beat the piss out of it. keeped it pined to the tits all the time. broke the frame. it sat outside for 2 years. water got into it somehow. hydro locked. rings rusted shut. drained the water and oil. put new oil in. sprayed 1/4 of a bottle of wd-40 into the cylinder. let it sit...kicked it over, got most of the oil out. kicke dit over till it started. cranked on it..the rings came loose....

now its in a buddies go-kart and still going. being reamed out even worse.

id say they are pretty indestructible.

HOWEVER, i did take it apart and locktight the hole motor and torque everything down the day i got it.

• 3 weeks later...