Sign in to follow this  

BETA's boiling fuel

Is the BETA known for boiling the fuel. I have a 2011 400rr and I think I boiled the fuel yesterday. About 45 minutes into a ride the bike started sputtering and then shut off. Gas was pouring out of the over flow tube. I opened the gas cap and fuel spewed out around the cap. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is the BETA known for boiling the fuel. I have a 2011 400rr and I think I boiled the fuel yesterday. About 45 minutes into a ride the bike started sputtering and then shut off. Gas was pouring out of the over flow tube. I opened the gas cap and fuel spewed out around the cap. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scary... I never heard of that happening on any bike. It sure hasn't happened on my Beta. Hows where the radiators or other hot areas come in close contact with the tank.. ..Did you take off the tank yet?... I saw one of those at our local dealer....Nice Nice Nice.. of course it would be nicer for you without the boiling fuel. weird one .....I would think you would probably need some kind of barrier tape to insulate the tank from wherever heat is affecting it. .. or some kind of adjustment anyway.. You should see after taking off your tank.:cheers:

A few years ago a friend and I were riding tough singletrack on a hot summer day. My XR and his KTM both boiled the gas on a very steep hill climb. It's a big inconvenience when riding and sounds scary but researching it afterwards I found that gasoline has a very broad range of boiling temperatures. It's all related to the grade, quality and additives in the gasoline and crude oil that it was refined from.

Your problem is likely the heat from the engine. Do you have a radiator fan? That would be a big help. Also like Hawaiirider said, some insulating tape on the underside of the tank won't hurt.

It is odd that it happened so quickly on your ride, what terrain were you riding? Steep technical or faster dirt roads? Temps that day? If you were over 15mph at all I don't think you should've boiled the gas. Especially in April, unless you were in the southwest where it is already been 100 degrees.

This is nothing related with engine heat. If it was so easy to heat fuel with engine heat, you would be flying by now (not to mention that there are other 'warmer' engines around....).

Check - clean - replace or cancel your 1-way breather valve on the tube attached to your gas cap and this will never happen again.

:cheers:

This is nothing related with engine heat. If it was so easy to heat fuel with engine heat, you would be flying by now (not to mention that there are other 'warmer' engines around....).

Check - clean - replace or cancel your 1-way breather valve on the tube attached to your gas cap and this will never happen again.

:cheers:

Ok ... sounds good... I never heard of this and your remedy but I will try to remember this in case this ever happens to me...:ride::p

I knew there were problems with dirty gas cap vents and fuel flow.... I never knew boiling fuel was one of them. By the way... I love your avatar!!!

Ok ... sounds good... I never heard of this and your remedy but I will try to remember this in case this ever happens to me...:cheers::ride:

I knew there were problems with dirty gas cap vents and fuel flow.... I never knew boiling fuel was one of them. By the way... I love your avatar!!!

The engine is the only source of heat that can cause this. Of course it is related to that.

If it isn't an issue why does every Factory bike in offroad have the underside of the tank insulated? Colder fuel has performance advantages for sure. But I have had boiling fuel on long hot rides.

You are correct that you need to makes sure that the cap is vented properly. If you have one of those one-way vents in the vent line or a cap that has built in one THROW IT AWAY! Those ball check one ways are notorious for failure. I have experienced it myself and it is frustrating. But the fuel can boil regardless of this issue even on a vented tank with no restrictions.

I had almost the exact same problem on my new 2011 400rr . I dont now if it was boiling , I do have the fan kit and the bike seemed to be running cool all day . but I did have a problem with the bike cutting out and being really hard to start and seeming to be out of gas. opened the cap and whoooosh. Chucked the check valve and bike ran way better. Still seems to get very low fuel range compared to my buddies on 400 xcw's

they were at 60miles and hadn't evven hit reserve and I was completly out.

047.jpg

92 chevron w/techtron is what I was using freshly filled. Like I said ditching the check valve definately made a difference, also plan to do some tweaking with the jets and see what kind of results I get. It's funny when I was ridding . I kept getting the feeling that the bike could benifit from the RD powerbowl. Gonna tweak first cause on a scale of 1 - 100 the bike was a solid 90 . I saw somewhere in another post where someone said the only thing the new 520 needed was to have the carb sent to the shop for tunning. I would have say the same for the 400. Definately have to wring more range out of Her , my buddies made me bow down to their KTMs before they would give me any gas.

The new Husabergs do this, as does the new backwards engine YZ450. Suggest adding a fan, lining the underside of the tank with reflective heat tape. Some stock exhausts are very restrictive (Husaberg comes with a ridiculous cork in the end cap) that increases the temp. Uncorking your exhaust if it is stock and has any kind of "cork" in the end cap to pass noise regs. It does not have to be loud and obnoxious - just breathe better than it does with a tiny tip on the exhaust. Make sure your tank can vent. You don't want the boiling fuel to pressurize your tank - it is not a pressure vessel.

Fuel boils at 130F or so. It is not that hard for this to happen on modern densely packaged bikes.

Sounds like the poor quality gas sloshed around in your tank during some warmer weather riding and it pressurized your tank and also overpressurized the float needle valve which probably tried to flood your engine---time to vent the tank better!

PM sent.

Have you contacted your dealer? Have you contacted the distributor? Those are the first guys to talk to and the ones that would handle your problem. I have had excellent service with Joe at Tiki Cycle and Americanbeta ...:cheers:

most of the new 4 strokes do it if they sit and get hot, heat shielding only does so much

Went to Tiki Cycle today. I guess you already took out the valve on the gas cap and your mileage improved too along with the problem fixed ? Reports seem to be you are loving the bike according to Joe....:cheers::ride: I rode his 2010 520 just around the parking lot... feels good. He put the 2011 red frame on and made it street legal. I have my steering damper on and my heavier duty rear shock spring installed. I still have to redo my rad guards and rad. overflow tank. I'm itching to ride my Beta 09 525 RS !!!!!! The grass is growing wild and it's been storming rain so I added some foam moose racing hand guards to go over my cycra guards. I can protect my hands a little better and not get it muddy.

Here's my Honda this past week and another time when I'm riding with a friend and his ktm. I got the 2 stroke fix. I need the Beta fix now!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S73nr9kWvCU

Aloha" H.D.R. " ,Its actually me that got the bike form Big Joe @ Tiki Cycles.

What a great guy , definately goes all out to get you what you want. Anyway yes removing valve did improve performance , I'm not sure it completely fixed the problem . I think a combination of things need attention , 1) tweaking jets/fuel mixture 2) I realized now where that extra 3'' they cut off the hight of the bike went , everything is Really close together , I am definately going to use the heat tape on the underside of the tank and also the exhaust rap. I hear from Joe that the new larger tanks should be available soon , but as I said before, I think the range even with the 2.1 tank should be much better. But yes other than that , I LOVE my bike. When the tank is full it runs fantastic So fast and so nimble ,and when i say fast , i dont mean running away from you , its more like ooozzinig with power if ya know what I mean. I told Joe I'm faster in the trail and making alot of things I struggled with in the past. Of course this may be do to the lack of engine braking. Man I almost Shit myself comming down my first really steep down hill then I remembered reading somewhere that the new engines lack the engine braking . No more going slow down hills. Also who says BLING doesn't make you abetter rider? I was so worried about scuffing my pretty highwaydirtbike hand guards or scratching my sweet red anodized parts, that I refused to go down.:cheers:

Thanks for the vids, man your bars look small do you cut them down? and does the steering stabalizer help much in the tight stuff . I only really noiced the high speed woble , on road at about 60 or with low tire pressure on road Around 45mph, . Oh I'm also wondering how or if changing the ignitoion mapping will effect the range , I see where the new 350 comes with the on the fly switch and in the Beta accesories you can get the switch for the 400All in All Great Bike can't imagine anyone possibly being unhappy with it I think every bikes gonna need some tweaking out of the box, except my next one . It's gonna be the one that when you sit on it , it automaticly adapts to your riding style and to the conditions:ride:. The Betas is almost there.

Gas isn't what it used to be. The problem from hot gas is a vapor lock if the gasoline is heated to the point where it vaporizes before it reaches the intake, it can often lead to studdard while on the throttle. I read this article where someone suggested using fuel line with braided stainless-steel sheathing to protect the rubber hose from heat.

Aloha" H.D.R. " ,Its actually me that got the bike form Big Joe @ Tiki Cycles.

What a great guy , definately goes all out to get you what you want. Anyway yes removing valve did improve performance , I'm not sure it completely fixed the problem . I think a combination of things need attention , 1) tweaking jets/fuel mixture 2) I realized now where that extra 3'' they cut off the hight of the bike went , everything is Really close together , I am definately going to use the heat tape on the underside of the tank and also the exhaust rap. I hear from Joe that the new larger tanks should be available soon , but as I said before, I think the range even with the 2.1 tank should be much better. But yes other than that , I LOVE my bike. When the tank is full it runs fantastic So fast and so nimble ,and when i say fast , i dont mean running away from you , its more like ooozzinig with power if ya know what I mean. I told Joe I'm faster in the trail and making alot of things I struggled with in the past. Of course this may be do to the lack of engine braking. Man I almost Shit myself comming down my first really steep down hill then I remembered reading somewhere that the new engines lack the engine braking . No more going slow down hills. Also who says BLING doesn't make you abetter rider? I was so worried about scuffing my pretty highwaydirtbike hand guards or scratching my sweet red anodized parts, that I refused to go down.:cheers:

Thanks for the vids, man your bars look small do you cut them down? and does the steering stabalizer help much in the tight stuff . I only really noiced the high speed woble , on road at about 60 or with low tire pressure on road Around 45mph, . Oh I'm also wondering how or if changing the ignitoion mapping will effect the range , I see where the new 350 comes with the on the fly switch and in the Beta accesories you can get the switch for the 400All in All Great Bike can't imagine anyone possibly being unhappy with it I think every bikes gonna need some tweaking out of the box, except my next one . It's gonna be the one that when you sit on it , it automaticly adapts to your riding style and to the conditions:ride:. The Betas is almost there.

Yea Joe is a good straight up guy and a great mechanic as well as rider. I saw your bike before it was shipped to you. Man that's a nice ride. I wish I had em all...Beta's that is. That's how it is with toys and it's never ending. .. As far as my Bars go for my cr in the vid I have some woods hi pro tapers that I did not cut. I think it comes out to 31" plus the handguards so maybe an inch more. Maybe the view looks off because I have a wide angle lens on the Gopro. It's weird as I am dropping down some steep drops but you can't tell with that lens and camera. For my Beta I have the stock width and the cycra composite handguards so it's pretty wide..for sure wider than the woods hi on my cr for sure. I may cut it in the future but just have been riding with it. Through the tight vaivee guava's trails it gets a bit harder . When it gets too irritating I'll trim. I am itching to ride my Beta tommorrow. Hopefully I can get some decent video footage to post later. I gotta get some Beta footage!!!!!!