Sign in to follow this  

Idaho NEW STATE LAW??? what the

I was reading the Washington Nickel's Worth and found a add it says

Attention dirt bike and atv riders NEW STATE LAW

Mandatory OHV Rider Training

You can't ride on public lands...and could get ticketed unless you take a mandatory rider training class!

Then it gives a phone number what is all this crap about I am pretty sure after 20 years of riding single track there isn't a hole lot they can teach me what do you guys think of this crap.:cheers:

Oregon started doing this last year. It was manditory for under 30. This year it's under 40. Next year will be under 50, and soon will be manditory for all and you have to carry this card around.

My friend took it last year (I haven't taken it yet, oops!) and said it was mostly ATV (quad) safety and stated the reason for these cards was increased accidents with Quads.

I ride OR from time to time...took the test, got the card. Flipped it over and wrote in permanent ink "also certified to tie shoes"

:cheers:

Your papers please?

I was reading the Washington Nickel's Worth and found a add it says

Attention dirt bike and atv riders NEW STATE LAW

Mandatory OHV Rider Training

You can't ride on public lands...and could get ticketed unless you take a mandatory rider training class!

Not true

I ride OR from time to time...took the test, got the card. Flipped it over and wrote in permanent ink "also certified to tie shoes"

:cheers:

Your papers please?

Loving the certified to tie shoes lol

Not true

Just stating what the add had said and if it is that way with Oregon I am sure good old Washington State is very close to follow. I really hope not cause I ride in both Idaho and Washington it just another way for them to get more money out of us.:cheers:

Just a way for the government to make money like a regular driver license. Money hungry bastards

I took the Oregon test a few months back, was geared towards the ATV rider at the 4th grade level, only reason I got the card is the slim chance that I might ride qwads on the beach in Florence sometime in the next 20 years.

I have to have multiple certification cards for my job and have to carry a seperate wallet just to have a place to put all the cards so adding one more cert cards isn't a big deal.

Just stating what the add had said and if it is that way with Oregon I am sure good old Washington State is very close to follow. I really hope not cause I ride in both Idaho and Washington it just another way for them to get more money out of us.:cheers:

No worries, thank for passing along the info.

In 2009 now retired WA State Senator Ken Jacobsen sponsored SB5586.

It would have required comprehensive off-road vehicle safety education and training.

I testified against it at the Senate Natural Resources Committee hearing.

It was easy to show that mandatory training has not made the freeways safer so why would it affect trails any differently?

Thanks to that effort, the NMA and the TT'ers that made a big stink the committee chairman had to kill a bill in his own committee where he was the prime sponsor. That rarely happens in Olympia.

I believe you are talking about a new law in Idaho, since that is the title of the thread. Oregon has required ATV training for years.

When Idaho created our "Restricted Use" license plate, not only does it allow OHV's on all street and roads EXCEPT state highways, it allows licensed riders to let kids under 16 ride public roads as long as they are under the supervision of a licensed rider.

The Forest Service freaked out over this idea, and even seriously considered closing ALL FS roads to ALL OHV's. They backed down from this idea if we could require training for underage riders who want to ride on Forest Service roads while accompanied by a licensed rider. This bill has passed the Idaho House and it's first committee hearing in the Senate, and will be voted on by the full Senate today.

This law is VERY specific, only requiring this training for riders under 16 to ride on Forest Service roads ONLY. All trails and all other public roads (city streets, county roads and BLM roads do not require anything additional.

This bill was developed by the Idaho OHV community via the Idaho Recreation Council (IRC), the same group who created the Restricted Use license plate, and just about every piece of legislation on OHV's for many years. IRC is made up primarily of motorized recreation folks, (M/C, ATV, 4WD, SnoMos) as well as equestrians, mt bikers, and back country pilots.

i was on a trip last week to the sand dunes at christmas valley, and a sheriff pulled into our camp and wanted to see our cards.

it is free, kind of a PITA, i just put it in my tool bag that i always have with me when riding.

it's kinda retarded, but i guess if it influences 1 quadtard it's worth it?

in case this gets lost in the shuffle, this addresses the original post, regarding idaho law.

a) it's not a law yet.

:cheers: it only applies to under 16 and only on fs roads.

c) it originated within the ohv community.

imho, it will be a good law, but it's stupid that we have to jump through these hoops to fix a problem largely created by the FS. It bears no resemblance to oregon's law, which is truly stupid beyond belief, but at least is free. (i got my oregon card a year early, but it's easier for me to just travel to less stupid places and spend my money there).

When Idaho created our "Restricted Use" license plate, not only does it allow OHV's on all street and roads EXCEPT state highways, it allows licensed riders to let kids under 16 ride public roads as long as they are under the supervision of a licensed rider.

The Forest Service freaked out over this idea, and even seriously considered closing ALL FS roads to ALL OHV's. They backed down from this idea if we could require training for underage riders who want to ride on Forest Service roads while accompanied by a licensed rider. This bill has passed the Idaho House and it's first committee hearing in the Senate, and will be voted on by the full Senate today.

This law is VERY specific, only requiring this training for riders under 16 to ride on Forest Service roads ONLY. All trails and all other public roads (city streets, county roads and BLM roads do not require anything additional.

This bill was developed by the Idaho OHV community via the Idaho Recreation Council (IRC), the same group who created the Restricted Use license plate, and just about every piece of legislation on OHV's for many years. IRC is made up primarily of motorized recreation folks, (M/C, ATV, 4WD, SnoMos) as well as equestrians, mt bikers, and back country pilots.