Sign in to follow this  

Buell Headlight Mod - How To

Latest Part numbers needed are:

Y0721.6AC - HEADLAMP ASSY, WORLD, LEFT & RIGHT

M1600.1ACMW - WINDSCREEN KIT W/DECAL, MIDNIGHT BLACK

M0023.1AJAYT - HEADLIGHT GRILLE (Optional)

M0645.1ADA - MOUNT, HEADLAMP

Additional parts/bolts I supplied from Home Depot, including 2 bonded sealing washers, and 2 rubber washers. For the headlight assy connector, I cut out a 4 wire o2 connector from an old wiring harness.

-----------------------------------

When fabricating mounts, i'd recommend using rubber grommets between every mounting point between the headlight assembly and the bike to avoid premature bulb failure from vibrations.

1. The stock headlight assembly as a relay attached to it. I cut the mount off, drilled a hole, and attached it to the bike.

IMG_0064.jpg

2. Create a "U" bracket for the upper mount. I used 1" x 1/8th thick flat bar galvenized steel stock. Making sure to leave enough length on the "ears" to attach to a second hole created in the back on the stock mounts.

IMG_0062.jpgIMG_0088.jpg

3. For the bottom mount, create an "L" shape bracket with a slight curve where it attaches to the headlight, slotted for headlight aiming adjustments. Another option is to just add washers where the bracket attaches to the bike, instead of slotting the bracket.

IMG_0071.jpg

4. For wiring, use a probe light. For my '07, yellow is high beam, white low, and black ground. The buell headlight has a parking light which I soldered to the brown wire on the ignition switch to allow it to stay on at all times unless in the off position. You can solder the wires directly, or use a connector as I did. All joints were soldered with shrink tubing, then I used electrical tape to create the stock wire "loom" look.

IMG_0075.jpg

5. Lastly, attach the windscreen. The mounting hardware didn't seat flush, so I used bonded sealing washers for the bottom mounting points, and rubber washers for the upper mounting points. This allowed me to tighten it down without warping the windscreen, keeping it's original shape.

IMG_0074.jpgIMG_0082.jpg

Final thoughts.

A TON more light, DOT approved, and looks OEM when done this way.

Hope this helps others, and i'll try to answer any questions that arise.

Edited by kcasner

I found that one earlier, unfortunately all the pics he hosted are down :cheers:

Looks like I will go ahead and engineer brackets. I'll take pictures as I do the install and post them up when done.

I printed out a copy of the how-to when I came across it years ago. I'll try to dig it out when I get home from work, scan it and post it.

Edited first post.

Full how to, including pictures of finished project. Best mod i've done yet. Amazing difference all-around!

Edited first post.

Full how to, including pictures of finished project. Best mod i've done yet. Amazing difference all-around!

G'day kcasner,

You pic links aren't working - is this temporary, or can you reinstate them?

Cheers

G'day kcasner,

You pic links aren't working - is this temporary, or can you reinstate them?

Cheers

BUmp!

I like mine after 6 years but to take it to the next level use the high output LED bulbs. Wow! They perform like landing lights!