Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone had problems with Wiseco.

Two things I have run into.

1) I recently put a forged Wiseco piston in my 02 YZ250. The piston instantly cold scuffed on start up. Anyone else had this?

2) I have been running a Wiseco crank for over a year now and just found out they may be 4 degrees retarded from OEM. True or false? Im going to check timing regardless once the top end comes back.

Wiseco had an issue with sourcing out crankshafts couple of years ago. The tin on the webs had a radius problem and the tin would tear. May have been other issues also. Since then they have been building them in house. As far as the piston goes a Forged piston must be clearanced properly and also warmed up properly.

Thats what my contact @ Wiseco told us after my friend torn the tin off his 250r crankshaft. At the time they didnt have any of the newer versions so we went back with OEM. Then like the OEM crank before the Wiseco it also broke on the left bearing journal. Replaced it with the updated Wiseco and no problems since.

I just inspected my new cylinder\wiseco piston set up. Iv'e ran about 8 tanks through it. It still looks like new. But i'm VERY anal about warming it up,even after a short stop. I always found the key to make a forged piston live is warm the cylinder till you almost can't touch the fat part of the pipe.

Two things I have run into.

1) I recently put a forged Wiseco piston in my 02 YZ250. The piston instantly cold scuffed on start up. Anyone else had this?

alot of people have had that. because they didnt know what they were doing :ride:. no offense brotha. source it out to a qaulified mechanic next time. measure twice, cut once.... or so the old saying goes :cheers:

If wiseco pistons seized the instant a bike was started, they would all do this right? If you search wiseco, you can see many people complaining because the wisecos are one size. A size too small, they say, and the pistons rattle. So, its too tight this time?

Look deeper for the real problem. As nice as it is to blame parts, its often not the part that was the issue.

I have never had an issue with wiseco pistons. I dont warm my bike up, leave them in for 100 hours, no scuff marks. They are very noisy pistons tho.

However if he installed a standard YZ250 wiseco piston in a standard YZ250 cylinder and had seizure issues, thats a bit odd. I'd be looking for things like incorrect jetting or air leaks.

I have always used Wiseco pistons in two strokes with no issues. You can leave them in as long as you want and all they will do is get louder, however I have had a cast piston fall apart on a bike I just bought. A forged piston won't do that.

What was your piston/cylinder clearance at assembly?

Ring end gap?

How did you determine it instantly cold scuffed?

As for timing, there seems to be a lot of threads about timing possibly being off, but as far as I recall no one claims to have one of these cranks with improper timing. Check it, adjust the stator if necessary.

As for timing, there seems to be a lot of threads about timing possibly being off, but as far as I recall no one claims to have one of these cranks with improper timing. Check it, adjust the stator if necessary.

I do. I put one of these cranks in over the winter and finally got around to checking it. Sure enough 4 degrees off. I don't think that there stuff is all that bad though. It's easy enough to fix by moving the stator.

If wiseco pistons seized the instant a bike was started, they would all do this right? If you search wiseco, you can see many people complaining because the wisecos are one size. A size too small, they say, and the pistons rattle. So, its too tight this time?

Look deeper for the real problem. As nice as it is to blame parts, its often not the part that was the issue.

I always know that I'm the problem. Always. Its very difficult to have any self esteem knowing this.

Thats what my contact @ Wiseco told us after my friend torn the tin off his 250r crankshaft. At the time they didnt have any of the newer versions so we went back with OEM. Then like the OEM crank before the Wiseco it also broke on the left bearing journal. Replaced it with the updated Wiseco and no problems since.

when was that? the last one I got from them was made in china

when was that? the last one I got from them was made in china

Last year late spring, early summer.

Timely post I had the worst experience with Wiseco recently.

I sent them my cylinder and the provided a new piston and bored out my little 80. all up a hectic cost of $300. I put it back together and ran it for not even an hr and when I pulled the top end out to change a leaky gasket, I noticed my cylinder wall and piston had been scoured due to them not chamfering my ports. Thanks Wiseco!

Timely post I had the worst experience with Wiseco recently.

I sent them my cylinder and the provided a new piston and bored out my little 80. all up a hectic cost of $300. I put it back together and ran it for not even an hr and when I pulled the top end out to change a leaky gasket, I noticed my cylinder wall and piston had been scoured due to them not chamfering my ports. Thanks Wiseco!

Who did you send it to? Im guessing Serco?

This has nothing to do with wiseco, they are a USA based parts manufacturer. They did not bore your cylinder in Australia.

Yes that is them, SERCO. In my opinion a bad representation of Wiseco which is what they are known as here. To clarify I am not faulting the part but the workmanship of the Licensed Australian Distributer and workshop. My posts in this forum are mostly constructive but I found their service really annoying. My bike mechanic said he would have blown up at them if they sent the part back to his shop.

Edited by Chrisnorman
Spelling