Sign in to follow this  

650R, anybody put a rack for camping on the back

I saw a few racks on ebay? anybody had any luck anywhere? I want something that can hold tent sleeping bag clothes food for a weekend, usually unload before getting into anything tuff.

Forget the racks, go with the giant loop bags. You can't beat em for adventure riding, its the toughest, simplest system just like the big red pig, it ain't the coolest or prettiest but it does what it does best without frills.

And the plus side is they're unnoticeable when empty but always on the bike when ya wanna grab a six pack or some eats on the way back home from riding, just throw it in the bag. A bit spendy though, but look at it this way, there's a good chance they outlast your bike.

is giant loop on 650R? no subframe. can u fit a full weekend of gear? and when they are empty do they get in your way when banching and crashing? Do set them up by drilling plastics? looks like a great way to go!

not sure if my pic upload will work? but there is a home made alu. rack that work perfect and looks good (to me). when i go for a trip i use a medium size travel backpack and lay it on the seat behind me, i also use it as a back rest, it works perfect. I put the buttom part of the bag agains my back and the narrow top part ends up at the end of the rack, all secure with good quality bungee cords. I had a side bags set up before but found it really hard to ride in the tight stuff with the weight on the sides...

also home made skid plate and vapor bracket... if you want something done right do it yourself:ride:

hope this help in your quest of the right set up

DSCF0076Rsolutiondelcran.jpgDSCF0082Rsolutiondelcran.jpgDSCF0083Rsolutiondelcran.jpgDSCF0081Rsolutiondelcran.jpg

They strap on, they aren't in the way and work well, comes off in a couple minutes. I do have the subframe from a rack on mine, going to try it with the rack next trip.

Pic loaded up.

100_2650.jpg

Pic out riding with all the camping gear removed, the straps just cinch down on it. Don't notice it at all.

100_2665.jpg

is giant loop on 650R? no subframe. can u fit a full weekend of gear? and when they are empty do they get in your way when banching and crashing? Do set them up by drilling plastics? looks like a great way to go!

We did two weeks on the bikes in Baja with GL bags. Worked really well.

A few bikes were crash tested without issue. I dumped mine twice in the snow without issue and flipped it over a couple times for fuel.

Bags hold tight without any drilling or modifications. They will wreck your plastics, but I don't care.

With sealed seams they are relatively water resistant except the rear zipper.

Good investment IMO. You do notice the bags a bit on the first ride, but get comfy quick and don't notice them after that.

Stock subframe without issue. Just try to keep it as far forward as possible too and the heavy items down low. They ride very well, I was hitting whoops and get some mild air without issue.

not sure if my pic upload will work? but there is a home made alu. rack that work perfect and looks good (to me). when i go for a trip i use a medium size travel backpack and lay it on the seat behind me, i also use it as a back rest, it works perfect. I put the buttom part of the bag agains my back and the narrow top part ends up at the end of the rack, all secure with good quality bungee cords. I had a side bags set up before but found it really hard to ride in the tight stuff with the weight on the sides...

also home made skid plate and vapor bracket... if you want something done right do it yourself:cheers:

hope this help in your quest of the right set up

DSCF0076Rsolutiondelcran.jpgDSCF0082Rsolutiondelcran.jpgDSCF0083Rsolutiondelcran.jpgDSCF0081Rsolutiondelcran.jpg

I like the way you think. Very nice looking rack. Did you add anything under the fender for the rear mounting points?

I like the way you think. Very nice looking rack. Did you add anything under the fender for the rear mounting points?

Thanks, yes i did some brackets and a metal reinforcement sub frame extension all the way to the rear of fender. Even if most the weight is right behind me on the seat, the fender metal structure gave the hole thing a very solid feeling, and so far nothing as moved even taking small air and gnarly thigh tracks.

Thanks, yes i did some brackets and a metal reinforcement sub frame extension all the way to the rear of fender. Even if most the weight is right behind me on the seat, the fender metal structure gave the hole thing a very solid feeling, and so far nothing as moved even taking small air and gnarly thigh tracks.

Sounds very solid. Any chance I could get you to snap a couple pics of the under side of the fender?

I bolted a Pro Moto billet rack/pannier on my XR. I'm coming up to the states in May. If you are interested, I will sell it to you (less the rear fender support).

This part not included:

XR650R004.jpg

XR650R001.jpg

Oversized Rack:

XR650R005.jpg

I routinely carried as much as 80 lbs on the rear for 7 to 10 days at a time without problems.

If interested PM me,

captain please post pics. when done. I all ways like to see your stuff!

beef up the sub frame

DSCN3531.jpg