Sign in to follow this  

Project ballin on a budget broke motard sportsman style

I recently bought a 1987 honda xr250r with plans to have it as a dirt bike but also convert it to a street bike as well for fun in the twisty's. I had originally wanted to go with 17 inch wheels but that's too rich for a ballin on a budget broke budget so I decided to go with street tires on an extra set of street wheels. I bought parts as cheap as I could find them and tried to buy quality stuff as well. Looked all over ebay.

Parts bought:

stock set of wheels $230 shipped

Bridgestone bt-45's: $140

Michelin tubes: $40

trail tech endurance: $55 ebay find

eibach rear spring on a good stock shock: $40 shipped ebay special, gonna sell my stock shock for probably the same or more

uni filter: already on it when I got it

uncork the exhaust: already done

ebc red pads: $30

New Dunlop 752 dirt tires: free in a trade

42 tooth sprocket $20

cleaned the carb: free

brake light socket: free

tusk brake switch: $12

misc maintenance items $30

Headlight: free from chris

1987 honda xr250r with a fresh engine $650

I'll basically have a bike that is perfectly capable on the trail as well as the tight roads for around $1200 to $1300. I just started working on it but can't wait to be done it's gonna be a blast.

SL370473.jpg

SL370497.jpg

how it looks right now, just started working on it

SL370498.jpg

truck all loaded up to take the wheels in to get the tires put on

Looks good. Another option wheel-wise would be to lace-up a 19" back rim to the front hub. Am running a set of 19/18" Distanzias on my 650's street wheelset. Makes a great combo; cheaper and more versatile than SM wheels.

Dual sporting a bike is awesome. I've got a set of shinko 244's on my bike, decent balance for off road and road and they ride well. Plus only need the one set of rims. Haven't done any hard off road though so can't say how they do in that department yet. The idea for the 19 inch laced to the front hub is not a bad idea. Might consider that for my next build.

One thing that I will mention is that you ought to get the title and everything done before you dump money into it. It's a slightly larger pain that you might think, especially if your state says no. Took me a couple of weeks to get it done actually. You need a bill of sale (dated within 30 days or they will charge you) and a police inspection for the title. They will have to do a title search to find out if it has been titled before. Then you're good to start work. Those are nice rims by the way, like them a lot.

I had considered just going with a dual sport tire but I wanted something that would be soft and good for trails as well. I plan on trying a hare scramble this year too. I started the paper work on the title but in Kentucky you have to have all the work done before the inspection, kind of a pain.

The black wheels pictured are excels laced to cr hubs I got them and the dunlops in a trade for an old scooter I had. The wheels won't fit so I'm selling them, I bought an extra set of stock wheels off of ebay.

I just went with two separate bikes :cheers: an '86 XL250R with full on street rubber (below) and an '85 XR250R for the dirt. This way I don't have to switch wheels and sprockets.

I also like the idea of lacing the rear wheel onto a front hub (for on-road use). The Shinko Challenger tires I have for the street are great (and stupid cheap), tons of fun carving up the twisty's :ride:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=86241

What size tires are you running? I just went with the stock size. I was gonna run shinkos but I had a set on my z1000 and didn't care for them too much, really square profile.

I just went with two separate bikes :cheers: an '86 XL250R with full on street rubber (below) and an '85 XR250R for the dirt. This way I don't have to switch wheels and sprockets.

I also like the idea of lacing the rear wheel onto a front hub (for on-road use). The Shinko Challenger tires I have for the street are great (and stupid cheap), tons of fun carving up the twisty's :ride:

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=86241

36 spokes rear

32 spokes front

36 spokes rear

32 spokes front

so an XR250R front hub cannot be used with an XR250R rear rim?

I just want to get an 18" or 19" front wheel on my bike with a street tire as cheaply as possible. Any other ideas?

Pictures from last saturday/sunday, I installed the rear shock and put the new dirt tires on, tried to go dirt riding but was way too muddy. The eibach spring did make a big difference in what little riding I did. I'm going to put the street stuff on this weekend and order new wheel bearings for the dirt wheels.

Old shock blue spring vs 95 shock with eibach spring:

SL370500-1.jpg

What all you have to take off to get to get the shock out, need a buddy to hold up the swing arm, the tie strap wouldn't hold it up enough to get the bottom shock bolt out, I had L.A. help

SL370496.jpg

SL370501-1.jpg

L.A. Excited we have it back together, Chris stopped by for a bit with his kids too but did not pose for a picture.

SL370504.jpg

SL370502.jpg

Loaded up in the truck

SL370505.jpg

Start of the day

SL370508.jpg

End of the day, maybe rode 5 miles, we pushed my bike out of the trails, it wasn't good

SL370510.jpg

Derek trying to wash the mud off

SL370513.jpg

Very nice!!

I also have a 1987 XR250R. My buddy thinks of it as a throw away bike.

But, I love it.

Mounted the street wheels, wired in the head light thanks Chris, and mounted a black xr400 rear fender and tail light, thanks again Chris. Cleaned it up

Things left to do:

recover the seat in black vinyl, already have the vinyl just gotta do it

Ordered a late model xr400 caliper and master cylinder, need to mount it up and put on the trail tech

Get street title

Get wheel bearings for dirt wheels

Things I may do:

New handlebars

black front motard fender

SL370515.jpg

SL370519.jpg

SL370518.jpg

SL370516.jpg

It's complete, I get my plate on Monday!

Stuff added since last pictures:

accrebis front super moto fender

2000 xr400 caliber, master cylinder and line

trail tech endurance

wired everything into the regulator

new kill switch

recovered seat in black vinyl

tusk aluminum handlebars cr mid bend

scott grips

dual sport mirror

SL370520.jpg

SL370523.jpg

SL370525.jpg

SL370521.jpg

SL370526.jpg

That's the next thing I plan on doing after I take it to the dragon this weekend

That's the next thing I plan on doing after I take it to the dragon this weekend

This thing would be a blast on the dragon. Always great when a 250 can kill the Busas. :thumbsup:

CaveMike think build turn out good. CaveMike also think not good take picture of xr next to yz. That be like take picture of Rosie O'Donnel with Megan Fox in background. Not prudent.