Sign in to follow this  

help with fuel valve

Ok. My stock petcock sprang a leak so I replaced it with one from a WR and, despite all the warnings from this site, I left the fuel on and now have to change the oil. My question is, has anyone found a good way to remember to shut off the valve (sticker on odo, tag on key chain, ect..)?

Warnings from this site?.. What warning? It's a manual fuel valve, like on any dirt bike... It's just a matter of routine.. How long did it take you to learn to put your socks on before your shoes?// :ride: .. Should not take any longer to learn to sit on bike, reach down turn on fuel.. pull choke if needed, start.. go ride.. Stop..turn off fuel.. It's not really a trick,, just have to get the routine down. Many years ago there were "Turn The Gas On Dummy" stickers to be found at most any bike shop..lol.. have not seen one of those in awhile. :cheers:

You'll remember now that you have had an issue and had to change the oil.

Wow Marquez, what insight! As I stood helplessly by with my finger in my nose trying to figure out how to stop the flow of fuel, I never considered turning it off. I am not looking for a "trick" to turn off the gas. I am a forgetful person who has a legitimate question on how to remember to turn it off. Maybe when you have some time you can help me with that sock thing. Sounds interesting. I have seen this concern raised many times on this very site and you just insulted the intelligence of all of us. As for those who wish to help, a human who is apt to forget from time-to-time. I have spent 6000 miles with the stock valve which does not have to be turned off. I put the manual one on and forgot it had to be turned off. Just looking for a way to catch my eye as a reminder until it becomes second nature. Sundog, I hope your right, but my guess is this won't be the last time.

How about a little rhyme or song that you say when you turn the ignition off? It worked for me when I kept leaving my lights on in my 91 jetta that did not have idiot horns to tell me I left them on? Or before I lock the doors to my minivan (the vw was many years and 3 kids ago) I always say "keys in hand all is grand" so I don't lock them in the van. Make fun if you want but it saved my bacon a few times.

I'm guessing you missed the smiles in the post.. Oh well.. .

Sorry I do not have a great suggesting as to how to remind or train your self to reach down and turn off the fuel. \From what you posted, it sounds like your likely to forget what the reminder on your speedo, grip, or bars is for. .

As for insulting the entire group at large... No sir, neither intended or reality. If you took what I said as an insult, Id say your wound a bit too tight. :cheers:

Best of luck, hope you find your answer .

When I rode an RM (many years ago), I never forgot to turn the fuel off. Now, like you, I am sure that I would because of the "assistance" of the stoke petcock. I turn it off, and walk away without a second thought.

Good habits seem to go away easily, but bad habits take much longer.:cheers:

Wow Marquez, what insight! As I stood helplessly by with my finger in my nose trying to figure out how to stop the flow of fuel, I never considered turning it off. I am not looking for a "trick" to turn off the gas. I am a forgetful person who has a legitimate question on how to remember to turn it off. Maybe when you have some time you can help me with that sock thing. Sounds interesting. I have seen this concern raised many times on this very site and you just insulted the intelligence of all of us. As for those who wish to help, a human who is apt to forget from time-to-time. I have spent 6000 miles with the stock valve which does not have to be turned off. I put the manual one on and forgot it had to be turned off. Just looking for a way to catch my eye as a reminder until it becomes second nature. Sundog, I hope your right, but my guess is this won't be the last time.

How about a little rhyme or song that you say when you turn the ignition off? It worked for me when I kept leaving my lights on in my 91 jetta that did not have idiot horns to tell me I left them on? Or before I lock the doors to my minivan (the vw was many years and 3 kids ago) I always say "keys in hand all is grand" so I don't lock them in the van. Make fun if you want but it saved my bacon a few times.

Make fun? Heck, I'm using it. How about "gas not on I'll get back home"? Can't hurt to try.

C120 is right about bad habits. Believe it or not, I never leave my fuel on when I ride my WR250f. After 6000 miles on the DRZ without touching the valve it might be hard to train the brain to turn it off when I am on yellow. We'll see.

C120 is right about bad habits. Believe it or not, I never leave my fuel on when I ride my WR250f. After 6000 miles on the DRZ without touching the valve it might be hard to train the brain to turn it off when I am on yellow. We'll see.

Gas off on yellow all is mellow?? :cheers:

Jettaron91vx, you need a job creating mnemonic devices. I like yours better than mine. Thanks for the help. I will definately use it. But wait, I am wanting to change to white. Gas off on white, I'll be alright?

Jettaron91vx, you need a job creating mnemonic devices. I like yours better than mine. Thanks for the help. I will definately use it. But wait, I am wanting to change to white. Gas off on white, I'll be alright?

Hey man you got it!! Just don't change to orange. That'll be a tough one to rhyme. Hahaha. :cheers:

I had the same problem. Took a little while but i eventually started to remember. Never forget now.

I left the fuel on and now have to change the oil.

I can't believe that everyone missed this. Replace the needle and seat and on the rare occasion that you forget, this will help alot. :cheers:

How about clear fuel hose? Actually seeing the gas below the petcock might twig your brain. Or maybe a toy oil tanker on your key ring.

Hey teacherman I am also a teacherman of the K variety. How about (sung to Mary Had a Little Lamb) Now I must turn off the gas, turn off the gas, turn off the gas, now I must turn off the gas so next time I can ride. It's about 15 miles to my classroom and I can do it 99% dirt - sweet! I just put on a manual valve - hope I remember!

Get a label maker (or borrow one). Print what you want to address it and stick it on the speedometer window somewhere.

i can see some embarrassing moments comming at the first junction when it stalls because you have forgotten to turn it back on lol