Sign in to follow this  

Leasons Learned - Eng rebuild

There is nothing like doing a full engine rebuild and the F'ing thing leaks coolant:bonk:

My two leasons learned

1. ALWAYS BUY OEM GASKETS.

2. Fill your coolant after head is torqued and not when the bike is fully built and ready to start. Check for leaks early.

I am blaming my problem on the ATHENA gaskets. Sealing surfaces where clean and head was torqued to 29 ft-lbs. Fully assemled the bike and then filled the rad. Then before I know it, coolant came out of the base and head. Boy did I get a :cheers: in the :p:ride:

• Like 1

I just put a trans in a 4x4 pickup and realize after I got the new one in I forgot to put the dipstick tube in. What a nightmare to put in after.

aint nothing like doing the same job more than once for something stupid... i feel your pain man

+1 on the gaskets. I had an athena base gasket rip on me before i even installed it. OEM gaskets for sure at least for the head, base, and center case.

+1 on the gaskets. I had an athena base gasket rip on me before i even installed it. OEM gaskets for sure at least for the head, base, and center case.

yeah same thing with my friends quad Athena gasket was leaking had to buy oem

Well, it was the Fricken gaskets. The Athena kit came with two head gaskets (a two ply and a three ply). I contacted ATHENA USA and they were unaware of which gasket to use. They had to make a call to Spain to tell me that I should have used the three ply head gasket. OF coarse I already at it assembled. Why in the frick would they have that two ply in the kit:foul:

The bike is back together. Wow, what a difference. Between the high comp piston, Racer ER head Mod, and loud mouth intake, the thing has a deep 450 tone to it. It is harder to kick, now that it has compression. The 22 mm offset clamp and damper make a huge difference on this 07. the damper makes it feel like it pulls the bars to the center. of coarse I havn't had time to take it to the track. Still putting aroung the yard and heat cycling the motor. The titanium megabomb header glows cherry red. :cheers:

Now hoefulyl that POS athena center case gasket holds up and does not leak.

This bike is making me nervious, it feels new again with motor work, Race Tech valves front and rear, IMS Pro Series Pegs, 2008 Protaper clamps, 2008 damper with MX Bonz mount kit. now it is time to adjust the sag and clickers. The suspension seems alot stiffer, since I am a fat VET rider. One of these days my kid will be faster than me, but not on the 65.:ride: