Sign in to follow this  

What do you carry?

I was just sitting here thinking of what I am going to need for a long ride. So far ive come up with...

Camelback Backpack

Knife

assorted small hand tools

Small first aid kit

Maybe extra spark plug

Snack

What do y'all carry for a long ride?

I carry my 2L camelbak (not enough for me), tyre levers, tyre patches and a small fold up saw in my bag.

In my rear guard toolbag i carry a spare plug (which im thinking of taking out), plug spanner, 8 10 & 12mm combination spanners, a tbar with a 1/4 inch socket drive with 8 10 &12mm sockets, short front & rear axle spanners, spare chain master link, electrical tape, phillips head and flat screwdrivers, assorted bolts and nuts, a range of zipties and a pair of pliers and sidecutters,

It all fits in my standard sized toolbag

:cheers:

I was thinking of linking the same thread. It really can't get any more comprehensive than that!

Usually I have a back pack and a small fender bag I made from an old fanny pack.

Back Pack-

extra jacket/goggles

water

snack (package of peanuts or power bar)

Registration/Insurance cards

Trail maps

Personal stuff, keys, phone etc.

Fender bag-

Tools (I refined what I carry by doing all basic maint. straight from the pack, nothing un-needed in there)

1) Pistol

2) Whiskey

3) Machette

In that order...

[Private Land]

advice from an old guy: there are hundreds of "what do you take" threads in here if you do a search.

Go through them and make yourself a list of things that look good to you. Have several "levels" of "what you take" depending on how long and how many are with you. Example, if just you, you need a minimum of first aid gear because you cannot do much to fix yourself. If a group, you want to take more stuff along.

When you have different "levels" of stuff, ie, several different fender packs of things, when you go on a group ride, there is always the guy who carries nothing but water. No snacks, no tools, no anything. You tell him, "you ride with us, you carry this" and hand him fender pack or a first aid pack to stick on his bike or in his camelbak or whatever.

For tools, start getting together the tools you use to work on your bike. You can replace fasteners with allen head bolts so you can carry small allen wrenches to take stuff apart. Having done that, I can take most of my bike apart with the motion pro tool at this link.http://www.mxmegastore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Motion-Pro-MP-Tool&gclid=CODgl-bVhqgCFUa8Kgod9CkltQ

As you work on your bike, gather those tools together to take in your tool pack. NOW HERE COMES THE FUN PART. Spend the REST OF YOUR LIFE, looking for smaller lighter versions of those same tools and swap them out with the heavier versions.

Example: aluminum tire irons like this :http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0287/

And then found this socket adapter that works with that so you have a very lightweight socket wrench that doubles as a tire iron http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0326/

I now carry a Spot 2 satelite tracker... its also road side assistance if I break down on my dual sport or in my car. It records tracks of where I ride, I can call for help from friends, and most important if I break a leg/rib etc I can push a button and search and rescue will find me.

I sure feel alot better since wearing this, hopefully I never use the emergency "sos" button but it feels good to know its there, and the other features are a nice bonus.

That spot 2 Tracker sounds like a nice toy that I just may have to had. I like the idea if it showing where you have ridden. Sounds like it would be hard to get lost using that thing.

Toy is the right word. If you want to use it to share your location with people for fun, then I think it's a great option. If you want to carry it for emergency use, then I think you'd be much better off with a real PLB.

That spot 2 Tracker sounds like a nice toy that I just may have to had. I like the idea if it showing where you have ridden. Sounds like it would be hard to get lost using that thing.

Yeah the tracks are cool to look at once you get home, it dosnt have a screen like a gps unit so its really not gonna keep you from getting lost, it will help you get found though!

Toy is the right word. If you want to use it to share your location with people for fun, then I think it's a great option. If you want to carry it for emergency use, then I think you'd be much better off with a real PLB.

Why is that, have you used the spot 2? It also comes with 50k in search and rescue insurance and there are a bunch of life saving rescues documented at there web sight. Seems like more than a toy to me.

It is a toy as much as my bike is a toy. You can send 3 different preprogrammable messages via satellite to multiple email accounts or as text messages. From almost anywhere. Maybe not in a cave. I have one message that states "arrived as planned or going well" a second one that says "plans changed but going well" and a third one that says "problems, not life threatening but will need outside assistance for extraction". The fourth button sends an SOS to emergency services. The fourth button also sends a message to people you program in.

Pretty nice toy.

Even if you are unable to send a emergency notice, the unit will continue sending position updates which could be given to emergency services by an at home assistance/wife/girlfriend/dog...etc. This makes solo rides a little safer.

That's a talented dog:worthy:

It is a toy as much as my bike is a toy. You can send 3 different preprogrammable messages via satellite to multiple email accounts or as text messages. From almost anywhere. Maybe not in a cave. I have one message that states "arrived as planned or going well" a second one that says "plans changed but going well" and a third one that says "problems, not life threatening but will need outside assistance for extraction". The fourth button sends an SOS to emergency services. The fourth button also sends a message to people you program in.

Pretty nice toy.

Even if you are unable to send a emergency notice, the unit will continue sending position updates which could be given to emergency services by an at home assistance/wife/girlfriend/dog...etc. This makes solo rides a little safer.

minus a couple things that are on bike...

P1030955.jpg

Nice GoPro.

This is a very helpful thread. I will be putting together a toolkit soon as well.

Don't mean to say that SPOT's are useless, just wouldn't trust my life to one. Google 'spot vs plb' if you want to read more about the differences between these devices.

how many of you carry a spare spark plug? I am debating on it...