Sign in to follow this  

'89 KX 125 build

I purchased this '89 KX 125 in November of last year. Here is the progress I have made so far. Only a few things left to do like install the clutch and throttle cables, chain, front sprocket and the front wheel.

untitled-3.jpg

Beginning the teardown

47b5022a.jpg

Newly powdercoated frame

9768e18b.jpg

Subframe, swingarm and triple trees

aee57e12.jpg

Rear caliper before my homemade soda blaster

07f28b7f.jpg

After - worked pretty well I think...

8e6e53e4.jpg

Reassembly begins

2a50c5a1.jpg

e11c013f.jpg

ab7a0828.jpg

5801937c.jpg

cbbafcbf.jpg

8e71657b.jpg

90b88a72.jpg

Steve,

The KX looks awesome!!!! Nice job for sure! Who made your numbers? Are you planning to race Highfly on the Sunday 4/10? Later

Keith

Steve,

The KX looks awesome!!!! Nice job for sure! Who made your numbers? Are you planning to race Highfly on the Sunday 4/10? Later

Keith

Thanks for the comments everyone. The picture quality isn't great, so hopefully I can get some better pics of it.

Hey Keith - the numbers are made by Racer Decal (www.racerdecal.com)

Unfortunately, I don't think I will make the race. I still haven't gotten the RM started after trying a couple a weeks back. I don't know if this one will be finished by then or if it would even be allowed to run since it has the rear disc...

Looks awesome!

Can't wait to ride it...after you lay it down first! Just don't want to be the first one to scratch the heck out of it! :cheers:

Nice! I've still got an 89 KX250 and had an 88 KX125...great series of bikes. Enjoy it!

I finished the bike this weekend, just need to decide on decals/graphics since the originals are no longer available. The bike runs and rides great, now I just need to get it dirty!

cc82b7ae.jpg

There are OEM reproduction decals available, although I don't remember the company. Think I saw it referred to on the Kawasaki 2 stroke forum. Not sure how to cross post, but you may want to try there...the decals ARE available. Wish my 89 looked so crisp!

Steve allowed me the pleasure of riding this KX at FMX Paradise back a couple months. Bike is a blast and is as nice riding as it looks. I used his KX125 as a gauge to how my 85 RM125 should be. Thanks again Steve!!!

P.S. When you going to sell me that garage art Rm400?? :bonk:

Steve allowed me the pleasure of riding this KX at FMX Paradise back a couple months. Bike is a blast and is as nice riding as it looks. I used his KX125 as a gauge to how my 85 RM125 should be. Thanks again Steve!!!

P.S. When you going to sell me that garage art Rm400?? :bonk:

Thanks for the compliments guys! The bike was fun to redo but even more fun to ride.

Haha I know it Keith. I'm getting a new stator for the RM400 soon so hopefully that'll help.

We're gonna be tearing down Eva's CR125 over the winter as last time we were at the Badlands (middle of November) something either seized in her bike or jammed the kickstarter as the bike won't kick over. And I forgot to mention this but same day at the Badlands, she got bucked off her quad and broke her upper right arm (humerus bone) completely in half and had to have a plate put in. So she's been on the mend for the last 5 weeks but she'll be back at it come spring!

You did a nice job. I always liked the style of model years a lot

Do you have a picture of your soda blaster?

Is it worth the money of a 100 dollars or so to buy a store bought one?

Here is a link to the write-up I used to make my soda blaster. It's basically identical to the one in the link. It worked okay but I'm sure not as well as a store bought one but my compressor isn't that powerful which may be part of the problem.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

I did find a place that remakes the original decals and have since purchased them.