Cramp in middle of inner left thigh

I woke in the middle of the night drenched in sweat and decided to place a few towels on the bed until morning when I'd wash my sheets. As I moved my left leg to get out of bed, my middle inner left thigh area cramped up and put me in pain like I have never felt. It was so bad I almost called 911.

I was able to stretch the muscle out a little bit but it took five solid minutes of massaging and stretching to get the cramping to stop. I'll occasionally have this happen with a calf muscle but it is much easier to force a heel down toes up stretch on the calf muscle than to stretch the inner thigh area.

Right now that area is sore to the touch. Just sitting here lifting my leg is painful as is lifting my leg as I walk upstairs. I was likely dehydrated a little bit, but have certainly gone to bed more so and not cramped up like this.

So my question for Dr. Mark or anyone who has had this happen is, what is the best stretch to relieve a cramped inner thigh? Is the soreness from actual tears to the muscle?

The pain was the worst I ever felt and I'd love to know how to more quickly alleviate the pain.

Greg

Any health issues? Just wondering, before I relate my experiences.

Oh yea, someone else feels my pain !!!! Mine happens the exact same way, after a race ill be lying bon the couch for a while and as I get up, I lift my leg off to the side and BAM !!!!!

Seriously, I get it in both legs! It is the most painfull thing ive experienced, and ive broken a lot of bones

I have had this for the last 5 years and have not found any stretch that takes it away, when it happens I have tried getting to the shower(takes a while) and run cold water over my leg, it shortens the cramp a bit

For prevention I have been drinking pickle juice before and after my race and it helps, its the only thing that helps,

good luck

• Like 1

Any health issues? Just wondering, before I relate my experiences.

No real health issues I am aware of. I know I dehydrate easily and try to watch that but no injuries to this area in the past.

Curious about your story . . .

Greg

No real health issues I am aware of. I know I dehydrate easily and try to watch that but no injuries to this area in the past.

Greg

I have a RARE type of diabetic neuropathy, I have full sensation as far as feel and touch go. BUT I only have 25% connectivity between my MAIN nerve branches and my muscles. I have lost all perriferal (sp?) nerve branches.

This manifests it's self in VIOLENT muscle spasms.... that are literally bone breaking, or can be.

I have found the following to be the best course of action.

1) Take an asprin in the AM and one in the PM

2) Ice packs wrapped/strapped to the thigh ICE on the adductors

3) Pressure/Weight/Stretching. Pressure meaning PUSH on the offending muscle... HARD Weight as in STAND

4) HYDRATE!!! PLUS Electrolytes/Salt Dehydration is one thing BUT electrolyte imbalance takes things to a whole new level... NOT a level anyone wants to visit.

5) FUEL, as in don't deplete your muscles of their much needed FUEL... Glycogen/Glucose/Sugar. If the muscles become depleted they can and will do all sorts of nasty things including spasm.

6) Marijuana, my pharmaceutical alternitives are Valuum (sp?) and Oxycontin neither of which I can function on, so I have a Medicinal card. And yes it REALLY does make a huge difference in my quality of life.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

• Like 1

I have a RARE type of diabetic neuropathy, I have full sensation as far as feel and touch go. BUT I only have 25% connectivity between my MAIN nerve branches and my muscles. I have lost all perriferal (sp?) nerve branches.

This manifests it's self in VIOLENT muscle spasms.... that are literally bone breaking, or can be.

I have found the following to be the best course of action.

1) Take an asprin in the AM and one in the PM

2) Ice packs wrapped/strapped to the thigh ICE on the adductors

3) Pressure/Weight/Stretching. Pressure meaning PUSH on the offending muscle... HARD Weight as in STAND

4) HYDRATE!!! PLUS Electrolytes/Salt Dehydration is one thing BUT electrolyte imbalance takes things to a whole new level... NOT a level anyone wants to visit.

5) FUEL, as in don't deplete your muscles of their much needed FUEL... Glycogen/Glucose/Sugar. If the muscles become depleted they can and will do all sorts of nasty things including spasm.

6) Marijuana, my pharmaceutical alternitives are Valuum (sp?) and Oxycontin neither of which I can function on, so I have a Medicinal card. And yes it REALLY does make a huge difference in my quality of life.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Wow Charlie I don't know what to say. It sounds like you have a good regimen for your situation. I don't know if my issue is more than just cramps but it certainly has happened easier over the past few years and more frequently. I'll visit a doc just to make sure.

Keep on riding!

:cheers:

Greg

you prob just nailed it on the head with what you just said. if you are dehydrated you can get what you got. make sure you hydrate and take and electrolyte or pottasium sup if you have to

Greg

Greg, I get them sooooooo bad. What do you do for a living and how old are you? If your a desk jockey, like me, that muscle is shortening due to your job. Stretch,stretch stretch. I always hydrate well but still get them. I just chalk it up to getting older and the job. I also find that sports drinks compound the problem. Plain water works the best. Exercise, hydrate and stretch................ Good luck!

I used to get severe cramps in my legs that would literally have me gasping for air they were so painful. I tried the pickle juice trick, although that helped, the only thing that completely cured it for me was endurolytes. They recommend 3 per hour for my bodyweight but I had to take 4 or 5 depending on how hot it is when I race. Good luck!

Sounds like your groin muscle is cramping i have the same problem. Mine comes from high blood pressure and the medicine i take for it is a diuretic and the only thing i found that helps is to take a potassium supplement. Since i started taking the potassium i have not had any cramping at all.

I'm taking supplemental magnesium. I got it at Trader Joes or you can get it at any vitamin store. Mag is what they give pregnant women to stop premature labor contractions.

Thigh pain can be caused by a variety of problems, including disease, broken bones, muscle pulls and strains, or an infection. Disc degeneration or pinched nerves in the spine can also cause pain to radiate into the leg and thigh. If thigh pain is persistent, consult a physician to rule out an underlying medical disorder.

Greg, I get them sooooooo bad. What do you do for a living and how old are you? If your a desk jockey, like me, that muscle is shortening due to your job. Stretch,stretch stretch. I always hydrate well but still get them. I just chalk it up to getting older and the job. I also find that sports drinks compound the problem. Plain water works the best. Exercise, hydrate and stretch................ Good luck!

I am a CPA and stare at a computer screen all day. I have also turned into a fat little hobbit at 200 pounds so needless to say gym time has been non existant the last few years.

Sounds like it is time to stretch, strengthen and lose weight.

Greg

I am a CPA and stare at a computer screen all day. I have also turned into a fat little hobbit at 200 pounds so needless to say gym time has been non existant the last few years.

Sounds like it is time to stretch, strengthen and lose weight.

Greg

Ha, ditto, welcome aboard!

I had similar leg cramps before. Once I was simply walking through the garage when it struck. It literally knocked me off my feet and was sore for the next week. I'm an active person, stay hydrated, and eat a balanced diet. I've got them on my upper leg before, but usually get them in my calf, but not nearly as bad as the ones in my upper leg.

Rode the exercise bike for 60 min. last night and felt one coming on, damn things!

Rode the exercise bike for 60 min. last night and felt one coming on, damn things!

I was getting up off the couch yesterday and thought I felt my right thigh cramping up the same way so I immediately stretched it out to prevent a full lockup. I am now paranoid when I go to sleep at night thinking I'll awaken to another cramping.

Greg

Edited by NumberCruncher

I don't get them at night unless I rode alot or exercised to much that day. I can still feel the pain from the bike ride today. My Dr. called them muscle knots at one time. I tink there is more to it.

I can answer to much of what is being discussed, hope the insight helps !

I get these cramps constantly and have to "walk" them off, which can take up to 5 minutes -

If I sit or flex my leg the pain becomes excruciating. During a free massage I mentioned this

and learned what these are and how to reduce the frequency & intensity.

The Gracilis Muscle is a long strap like muscle that passes from the pelvic bone to the tibia just below the knee.

It's function is to keep the knee, thight and hip aligned.

You can locate the muscle easily if cramping is an ongoing problem. Pressing firmly on the inside of your knee, you should find a tender spot. You can follow that tenderness all the way up your inner thigh where the muscle connects to your pelvic bone at the point where the (pubofemoral) ligament is attached. (It feels like a bone extending from your pelvis to your thigh.)

To alleviate the frequency of cramping, stretching the gracilis is the best remedy. From a standing position, slide your leg out to the side and lower your body without moving your other foot, keeping the bent knee pointed forward.

It will not be very comfortable, especially after a cramping episode, but continued stretching will eventually reduce or eliminate the spasms.

Cycling exercises the muscle, but doesn't really stretch it which may explain the cramping after a bike ride or gym routine. Arche supports, chiropractic alignments and lower back strenghtening exercises will also help. If you're gait is altered by minor back pain or worn out shoes, it affects the way your muscles work together to support you. Keep in mind that the knee and hip affect this muscle as well.

Magnesium, potassium and calcium supplements will also aid in eliminating muscle cramping. For magnesium I would recommend adding bran to your diet. (cereal is easiest) pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or dried soybeans. Potassium, one or two bananas per day. Calcium, an additional 8 to 16 oz of milk per day. Naturally available minerals are better absorbed and utilized by the body than pill form.

Hope this answers a few questions, alleviated concerns of a more serious problem and helps to remedy these painful attacks for at least a few.

I have to add - PLEASE print this and obtain confirmation and/or treatment from your physician if this condition concerns you further.

I am not a doctor and can only relay the information I have available to me.

Last year I noticed some ankle swelling and a neighbor gave me some pills to reduce water.  Took the required number for 3 nights and in the middle of the night both my inner thighs locked up with excruciating cramps.  Couldn't straighten up, walked around bent over like Quasimoto, took about 10 minutes of agony before it started to subside.  Just this morning when rising from bed I got one in the inner left thigh, same thing with having to try to stretch it, doing one legged deep knee bends until it too subsided.  There is residual pain in the area even 8 hours later. 

It seems my issue may be lack of water intake, since the past week I was doing lots of work outdoors in the heat and not drinking enough water.  Just thought that might be a helpful clue to some of you folks also experiencing this unique problem.  These cramps hurt far worse than when my bike wrecked at 60 MPH and I tried to keep from going down by putting my right foot out -- ankle smashed to ruin, wasn't designed to take a 500 lb bike and 2 aboard kind of abuse.