Aftermarket light

As awesome as the DR-Z looks I hate it's light. I'm thinking about which aftermarket light to get...

One of the top on my list is the acerbis led hp light:

LED%20HP.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=247160&stc=1&d=1296343433

Looks decent, wonder how it'll look on a black bike though. Anyone have one?

I'm also looking at the moose racing light:

moose-racing-headlights-species-headlight_1.jpg

Anyone try putting one of these on their bike? I wasn't able to find any pictures.

Either way, I'm hopping to install a HID kit in addition to the new light assembly. If you got any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate some input.

I like the look of the moose light, and the trail tech x2. I was gonna look at the x2 in halogen, and then get a hid conversion from flea bay.... Not sure if it's doable, but I can't get myself to drop $300 on tt's hid x2.

Do you need specific HID kits for lights? I was just gonna buy the equivalent HID bulb and kit on ebay. I figured it shouldn't have an issue fitting and they run pretty cheap.

Also, I'm leaning a bit more towards the moose but my only issue with it is that I feel like it wouldn't fill the gap the stock headlight fills and might look a bit weird.

Trail Tech X2 dual sport uses H3 bulbs, so if there's a HID in that format...

One thing to consider: the TT low beam is a fully contained housing with a focusing lens on the front and the bulb goes in vertically at the rear. If the HID is any longer than a standard H3 I don't know if it'll fit or not. I'd like to do the conversion myself but this little "If" is slowing me up. Need to see a pic of the H3 beside the equivalent HID size to know for sure.

FOUND ONE. Based on this pic (which was labeled "H3 Halogen vs H3 HID"), I'd say the HID will not work in the TT X2 dual sport low beam projector housing.

h3vsHID.jpg

Edited by Cuchara Red
added pix

I finally found a side by side picture of halogen H3 and HID H3 bulbs. Based on this one picture I don't see any way the HID bulb would fit vertically in the Trail Tech X2 dual sport low beam's projector housing. Dang! I was hoping it would work as that little 35 watt halogen needs some help. Guess I'll be upgrading it to a 55 watt halogen. I've already upgraded the hi beam to 55 watts and it made a ton of difference.

h3vsHID.jpg

In my homebrew, I'm running the hi/lo bulbs from the TTx2 dual sport plus the hi beam from the x2 off road. With the two hi beams on things are lit up very nicely. I apologize if I've already posted this pic in this thread.

IMG_0387.jpg

Okay. I found another headlight I'm very interested in. What headlight is this and where can I get it?

DSC00060.jpg

(I think it's acerbis diamond but I don't know if they're still sold...)

Also if I did choose to get that I'd have to find a way to put in 2 hids since the standard bulbs in similar headlights to that suck. Would it be too crazy to set up 2 hids on a drz? Is there room for both of the ballast?

The headlight is Acerbis Diamond Headlight ..Try these guys..http://www.newportcycleparts.com/cat...is_diamond.htm

I wouldn't recommend it if you do night riding..It's more for looks than anything...

The coloured lens covers can be quickly removed to give you white light....The light has 2x20w spread and 1x20w pencil beam..

They come in various colours....

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=88323

I'm also looking at the moose racing light:

moose-racing-headlights-species-headlight_1.jpg

Anyone try putting one of these on their bike? I wasn't able to find any pictures.

Either way, I'm hopping to install a HID kit in addition to the new light assembly. If you got any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate some input.

I have the moose light on my ZX7. With the stock bulbs it isn't the greatest. The projector isn't the highest quality and there are some darker spots in the light. But the cutoff is nice and sharp. I think a HID would work quite well in it.

With mine I put a Silverstar in the low beam and a 100w bulb in the high beam. I wired it to run both lights on high. It now works quite well. Comparable to stock lighting on my ZX7 and better than the DRZ light.

My ZX7 came factory with 2 dual beam headlights and has no trouble with the power draw. But I'm not sure how well the DRZ's electrical system could keep up with running 155w of light.

I have the moose light on my ZX7. With the stock bulbs it isn't the greatest. The projector isn't the highest quality and there are some darker spots in the light. But the cutoff is nice and sharp. I think a HID would work quite well in it.

What bulb sockets does it use?

And a photo on your bike will be great!?

Edited by sldxr250

What bulb sockets does it use?

And a photo on your bike will be great!?

H3

The bike: http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee251/zikrob/ZX7/d4d11132.jpg

Mine is actually a Polisport. It is the same light, just sold under a few different brands. I trimmed the numberplate down before installing on the ZX7.

http://www.polisport.com/motorbikes/produtos.php?ID=37

The reason I got it was cause it is one of the only decent looking ones I could find with 55w bulbs in it.

haha w a 200w stator Im pretty sure I know the answer....not to good ?

That's what I figured. Which is why there isn't one on my drz yet. My headlight has had a hole it in with a piece of tape over it for the past 2 years cause I can't make up my mind. lol

I couldn't agree more. The stock headlight on the DRZ is ugly. I bought myself a Acerbis Cyclops awhile back. Not that the Cyclops isn't ugly, I just thought it looked better than stock. It worked "ok".

A couple weeks ago I just did a dual HID upgrade on both lights using H3 bulbs in it. I guess a stock DRZ charging system can run dual HIDs with no problem, but I have the trail tech lightened flywheel so mine only runs one at a time. I will eventually post some pics of it, turned out super clean. I have some more mods I am doing to my bike so I don't want to take pics just yet. ?