Sign in to follow this  

Used 2000 CR250: What to Look for?

Going to look at a used 2000 CR250 tomorrow. One of those too good to be true deals. So what should I be looking for as signs of abuse and/or a bike to avoid?

TIA

If it's that good of a deal, and the bike runs, I would buy it! Hondas run forever.....the 1st gen AF is a great biuke with a monster motor.

Well I was thinking checking something along the lines of:

Fork Seals Leakage

Warped Rims

Case Halves (look for JB weld, signs of non-sealing, signs of bad split technique)

Swingarm Bolt (are these hard to remove on the 2000's? Do they sieze?)

Radiator Damage

Clutch and Flywheel covers (normally if they are beat to piss the bike has been used alot)

Frame/Sub-Frame

I guess I need to lower my expecations a little because the bike is probably 12 years old...

The bike is being offered in "great condition" with a desert tank, Scotts stabilizer, Gnarly pipe+FMF silencer, clean title, and good tires...for $1350 OBO.

Usually when something seems to good to be true it is but sometimes you find good deals.

I'm not familiar with the Scotts dampeners. Is there any way to check if it needs a rebuild or has issues?

Well I was thinking checking something along the lines of:

Fork Seals Leakage

Warped Rims

Case Halves (look for JB weld, signs of non-sealing, signs of bad split technique)

Swingarm Bolt (are these hard to remove on the 2000's? Do they sieze?)

Radiator Damage

Clutch and Flywheel covers (normally if they are beat to piss the bike has been used alot)

Frame/Sub-Frame

I guess I need to lower my expecations a little because the bike is probably 12 years old...

The bike is being offered in "great condition" with a desert tank, Scotts stabilizer, Gnarly pipe+FMF silencer, clean title, and good tires...for $1350 OBO.

Usually when something seems to good to be true it is but sometimes you find good deals.

I'm not familiar with the Scotts dampeners. Is there any way to check if it needs a rebuild or has issues?

Sounds like you know what to look for. The side cases are an indication of how much the bike has been ridden, but not necessarily abused. When you said good deali thought you meant ike a steal (i picked up my 02 CR250 for $350 with bad crank seals). Use common sense, ask questions.....is this the original owner? What maintenance has been done? when was the last top end rebuild? cases ever been split? Etc.

Wheels can be found pretty often on E-bay...CRF/CR wheels are interchangeable

Fork seals are easy, although my local shop charges $170 to replace them if you take the forks off the bike yourself! (OEM seals and dust caps are like $30)

Put the bike up on a stand and check to see if the swinger and linkage bearings are in good shape with no play in the swinger. If there is play, they will need to be replaced. While its not hard and pretty cheap ($60-$100 for all new swinger and linkage bearings) it is a time consuming process where you have to take damn near half the bike apart to do this......Can't comment on the steering damper............Hope this helps

Sounds like you know what to look for. The side cases are an indication of how much the bike has been ridden, but not necessarily abused. When you said good deali thought you meant ike a steal (i picked up my 02 CR250 for $350 with bad crank seals). Use common sense, ask questions.....is this the original owner? What maintenance has been done? when was the last top end rebuild? cases ever been split? Etc.

Wheels can be found pretty often on E-bay...CRF/CR wheels are interchangeable

Fork seals are easy, although my local shop charges $170 to replace them if you take the forks off the bike yourself! (OEM seals and dust caps are like $30)

Put the bike up on a stand and check to see if the swinger and linkage bearings are in good shape with no play in the swinger. If there is play, they will need to be replaced. While its not hard and pretty cheap ($60-$100 for all new swinger and linkage bearings) it is a time consuming process where you have to take damn near half the bike apart to do this......Can't comment on the steering damper............Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply! I assume swinger=swingarm? If so I never thought to check it like that...

Look at certain bolts to see if they've had a wrench taken to them.

Thanks for your reply! I assume swinger=swingarm? If so I never thought to check it like that...

Yup....swingarm. Also check the steering stem bearing by holding the front brake and rock the bike forward with your other hand on the steering tube part of the frame....If you feel play or clicking, the bearings probably need replaced.....again, not difficult, just time consuming.

it'll be wrenched on by now, no way a bike that old is on the factory piston

I always check oil drain bolts to make sure they have not been stripped

it'll be wrenched on by now, no way a bike that old is on the factory piston

I always check oil drain bolts to make sure they have not been stripped

My bike was still on factory piston when I bought it in March of 2010. The guy I bought it from never used it. :cheers:

If it's that good of a deal, and the bike runs, I would buy it! Hondas run forever.....the 1st gen AF is a great biuke with a monster motor.

2000 is 2nd gen. AF