Sign in to follow this  

Direct Injection 2 stroke?

Someone brings this up every few months. No, I don't think they will. Not for a few more years at least.

Does it matter? What's the benefit?

Ski-Doo / Rotax has direct injection on most of their 2-stroke snowmobiles and the result have been great:

- Clean Burning and EPA Compliant

- Easier to Start

- More Linear Power

- Almost No Smoke

- Almost DOUBLE the Fuel Economy

- Uses Little Injector Oil

Probably already is the pipeline, remember the Husaberg DI rumour. Anyway, it will propably not be launched until it needs to be launched. Shame really.

Ski-Doo / Rotax has direct injection on most of their 2-stroke snowmobiles and the result have been great:

- Clean Burning and EPA Compliant

- Easier to Start

- More Linear Power

- Almost No Smoke

- Almost DOUBLE the Fuel Economy

- Uses Little Injector Oil

yeah but when the little oil pump decide it stop working , you are looking at a couple thousand for engine rebuild.

My first dirtbike was a '74 KE125 and it had oil injection and it never had any issues. In fact, when I was growing up most of my buddies had 2t's with oil injection and they also never had issues....

I had an '89 RZ 350 two stroke with oil injection and never had a problem either, but I don't think that oil injection is the same as direct injection in terms of technology and sophistication.... just saying....

KTM has had a DI 2-stroke ready for production for a few years now. The issue is cost. Switching a smoker from carb to DI is much more complicated and costly than it is for a thumper do go from a carb to traditional EFI. On a smoker, not only are you ditching the carb, but you're also switching to oil injection. The DI system runs at 3000 PSI vs. 60PSI like you see on the thumpers, etc... I'm sure DI smoker is an easy $1000 more expensive

KTM has had a DI 2-stroke ready for production for a few years now. The issue is cost. Switching a smoker from carb to DI is much more complicated and costly than it is for a thumper do go from a carb to traditional EFI. On a smoker, not only are you ditching the carb, but you're also switching to oil injection. The DI system runs at 3000 PSI vs. 60PSI like you see on the thumpers, etc... I'm sure DI smoker is an easy $1000 more expensive

Where did you read that a direct injection 2 stroke was ready for production? I bet every mfg has something like this in their r&d fleet. But it takes quite a bit to go from an idea to production.

Nobody on a budget looks at buying a KTM. We pay more and we get a little more. A modest price increase would be inline with what they already do. But for $1000, I'll buy a ratio-rite cup.