Tools

What do you guys take to the track with you or bring along in your truck when you head for the trails? Tools, lubricants, oils, etc.? Lets here/see or setups!

I take a full compliment of fluids and a complete tool box in the truck and cary nothing with me at the track. We are never very far from the truck so it works fine. Might have to change that set up if I find some trails around here.

I have a soft sided tool bag that goes with me anytime the bike goes into the trailer. In the bag; any tool that ever touched my bike.

I also carry good used FR and RR tires, tubes, various fluids, coolant, oils, spare filters, levers, cables...Better to have it and not need it then to be out on a weekend ride and find you don't have the necessary parts, fluids... and have to drive an hour plus each way to the nearest dealer (if they happen to be open).

We take a full Craftsman socket set along with a standard set of wrenches. Inside the Craftsman box we keep a tire changing tool (yes, we've had to use it! LOL) spoke wrench, tire pressure gauge just in case...I always try to carry a Qt of oil with us to. Of course we leave all of this in the truck.

We're thinking about throwing a diamond plate truck toolbox on our trailer and we are looking for suggestions. The spare cables and levers are a tremendous idea!

I carry tire spoons, a wrench that fits both axles MSR I think), 10mm-12mm sockets and a 1/4" ratchet, phillips and flat head screwdrivers, a small air pump, a front tube and a patch kit. I also have a squeeze bottle (about the size of a mustard bottle) with a small tip filled with "fire extinguisher stuff" (sorry the name escapes me at the moment). Matches, a small knife, and a small first aid kit round out what I carry every ride more than 5 minutes from home. I have a valve core remover for a front valve stem cap, it's too small to keep track of in a tool bag.

I keep a 200(ish) piece tool set in the truck with a few added tools as needed to work on my bike, along with fluids.

i take every tool that ive ever had to use on my bike and about a gallon of water. usuallly bring my triangle stand for less weight and room, rather then the full stand. a knife on trails and a mealsworth of food. usually stuff thats not gonna suck after it gets too cold or too hot. like a sandwich or a couple granola bars

Yep, 5.00 Subway on ice and a pack of cheese crackers in the cooler!!! Always tastes great! LOL It's a tool you can't live without...

I take the LOT!

Allen keys, socket set, open ended wrenches, lubes, spares.

Especially handy on weekenders. If anything breaks on the first day I've got everything I need to get my steed running again.

Nothings worse than packing everything but that one tool you need, so I go the whole hog :cheers:

i carry a lil husky tool set with the accompaning wrenches allen keys and zip ties small and large{large for flat repair} an extra plug for my sons 2t and extra oiled air filter for my X{we ride with utvs some times and its crazy dusty}that all fits in my 2 liter camel pack backpack and 2 gatoraids in a small back pack my kid carries{never to much fluids in the desert{ohh yeah the cell phone wraped in a clean rag}

Edited by slaydirt
phonetick spelling lol

If you're going to put together a dedicated box to keep on the trailer, here's what I have in mine-

Full set of metric wrenches, from 5mm to 24mm.

A 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive socket set, metrics with shallow and deep well sockets.

Ratchets

Assortment of extensions.

Screw drivers of varying sizes.

3 hammers of varying size

Punches and chisels

Allen wrenches.

Ratio Rite

Bike stand of one sort or another (sucks to have to change a flat and no stand to work with)

Chain breaker and repair tools

Penetrating oil.

Spoke wrench.

Zip ties.

Crescent wrenches (large).

Box of misc bike bolts.

Blocks, air pump, tube repair kit, tire spoons and a 5 gallon bucket (makes for a cheap and simple tire changing stand....well, better than kneeling in the mud), any and all fluids that may be necessary, along with a self contained (sealable) drain pan.

I got tons of other junk in there too that I can't think of right now. Pretty much anything I need to take the bike apart short of splitting the cases. Not so much that I intend to install steering stem bearings at the trail head, but you never know when you might find a loose fastener.

If you're going to put together a dedicated box to keep on the trailer, here's what I have in mine-

Full set of metric wrenches, from 5mm to 24mm.

A 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive socket set, metrics with shallow and deep well sockets.

Ratchets

Assortment of extensions.

Screw drivers of varying sizes.

3 hammers of varying size

Punches and chisels

Allen wrenches.

Ratio Rite

Bike stand of one sort or another (sucks to have to change a flat and no stand to work with)

Chain breaker and repair tools

Penetrating oil.

Spoke wrench.

Zip ties.

Crescent wrenches (large).

Box of misc bike bolts.

Blocks, air pump, tube repair kit, tire spoons and a 5 gallon bucket (makes for a cheap and simple tire changing stand....well, better than kneeling in the mud), any and all fluids that may be necessary, along with a self contained (sealable) drain pan.

I got tons of other junk in there too that I can't think of right now. Pretty much anything I need to take the bike apart short of splitting the cases. Not so much that I intend to install steering stem bearings at the trail head, but you never know when you might find a loose fastener.

Nice list right there.

My problem is over the years I keep putting extra stuff in my toolbox that goes to the track, it weighs well over 100lbs now! You will be amazed at how many "friends" you will make riding when you have the right stuff to fix a bike.

Nice list right there.

My problem is over the years I keep putting extra stuff in my toolbox that goes to the track, it weighs well over 100lbs now! You will be amazed at how many "friends" you will make riding when you have the right stuff to fix a bike.

Oh yeah, I'm the guy that everyone goes looking for when something breaks....but, my tool chest doesn't leave the trailer, so it's weight isn't a big deal.