Sign in to follow this  

Dented 2T pipe + frozen water?

I KNOW this is discussed in many forums and sites, but I have yet to find the time to search through every single one and find my specific question.

Anyway, I have one large dent in my stock '86 CR250 pipe, some people have said it's causing a little problem I'm having, plus looks horrible..

I know the dangers of freezing it, but if I get a new one it's as good as junk anyway right? I looked into repairing it, but that costs $185 when a new pipe costs $200... Also, if I do split one of the welds, couldn't I just ask a friend to weld it back? What do you guys think? And any tips on how to do this procedure?

If a brand new one is only $15 more, try it. Check it every 15-20 mins and see what happens

If a brand new one is only $15 more, try it. Check it every 15-20 mins and see what happens

Yeah that's kinda what I thought, to keep an eye on it.

Who told you that? $60 plus shipping:

http://www.piperepair.com/

Yeah but it's $120 for "vintage" bikes plus shipping... Regardless, I still don't want to pay that much for something that might or might not be as good as a new pipe when it's done if you know what mean..:cheers:

Why not drill a hole and pull the dent out? A little more exacting than an attempt at freezing the pipe. If you can't weld, I bet you can find someone local that would weld up the hole for $20.

Why not drill a hole and pull the dent out? A little more exacting than an attempt at freezing the pipe. If you can't weld, I bet you can find someone local that would weld up the hole for $20.

I think thats making more work than need be, and will never look as good as a blown out pipe. I get my pipes blown out for $35, you could buy the hardware for blowing out your own pipes for around $20.

I think thats making more work than need be, and will never look as good as a blown out pipe. I get my pipes blown out for $35, you could buy the hardware for blowing out your own pipes for around $20.

Hey redlined that peaked my interest. By blowing out do you mean plug both ends and introduce air pressure? I have a pipe to do for my son and that seams like an easy way to do it. Can you list the parts needed for this? I assume that heat is used after you pump up the pipe with air to pop out the dents? Thanks

Hey redlined that peaked my interest. By blowing out do you mean plug both ends and introduce air pressure? I have a pipe to do for my son and that seams like an easy way to do it. Can you list the parts needed for this? I assume that heat is used after you pump up the pipe with air to pop out the dents? Thanks

Yes, you have the right idea. I have not done this myself, but I understand the process. I am however an expert at denting them!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875003&highlight=stroke+pipe+repair

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=11758153

Yes, you have the right idea. I have not done this myself, but I understand the process. I am however an expert at denting them!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=875003&highlight=stroke+pipe+repair

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=11758153

Thanks Redlined! I did a search after I wrote you and saw the first link. Looks really good! As you are we, (my son and I) are also experts at denting pipes and an inexpensive fix like this might do the trick.:cheers:

Fill the pipe up as full as you can get it w/o it spilling, leave the ends open and stick it in the freezer.

Let it freeze, pull it out and then run warm water over the outside of the pipe until the ice plug starts to get a little bit loose - doesn't take much. Refill it, freeze again.

By thawing it out just enough to get water between the ice block that's in it and the pipe wall, the freshly introduced water will freeze faster. Each cycle after the initial freeze only takes a fraction of the first time.

It will take a few cycles, but it works great. You'll see smaller results as you get farther into the cycling of freeze/thaw. Be patient.

I did this to a head pipe from a CRF450 (Ti FMF) last fall and was amazed at how well it worked and how simple it is. It just takes a while.

I wouldn't suggest freezing a two stroke pipe. That method works great on four stroke pipes, but two strokes have too large of a volume and the water expands too much. More often than not you end up splitting two stroke pipes when you try to freeze dents out of them. For two strokes I always blow dents out with compressed air and heat.

I wouldn't suggest freezing a two stroke pipe. That method works great on four stroke pipes, but two strokes have too large of a volume and the water expands too much. More often than not you end up splitting two stroke pipes when you try to freeze dents out of them. For two strokes I always blow dents out with compressed air and heat.

That would work, but I would have to go buy a blow torch and a new compressor... Making $185 per month, that's a little unrealistic.. Esp when I don't need it for anything else, it's like buying a very expensive special tool.

What are you guys using? deep freezers? My pipe was far too big to fit in my freezer.

Yeah I got a big-A freezer in my garage, never really use it except for deer, and bulk items i get some times.

Fill the pipe up as full as you can get it w/o it spilling, leave the ends open and stick it in the freezer.

Let it freeze, pull it out and then run warm water over the outside of the pipe until the ice plug starts to get a little bit loose - doesn't take much. Refill it, freeze again.

By thawing it out just enough to get water between the ice block that's in it and the pipe wall, the freshly introduced water will freeze faster. Each cycle after the initial freeze only takes a fraction of the first time.

It will take a few cycles, but it works great. You'll see smaller results as you get farther into the cycling of freeze/thaw. Be patient.

I did this to a head pipe from a CRF450 (Ti FMF) last fall and was amazed at how well it worked and how simple it is. It just takes a while.

Thanks for the tips, I wanna get a little more info before I start doing it, but what do you mean by "Each cycle after the initial freeze only takes a fraction of the first time."?

Are you talking about just blowing it out or heating it with compressed air inside the pipe?

Are you talking about just blowing it out or heating it with compressed air inside the pipe?

Check the links; add compressed air, then heat externally. The guy that does my pipes uses this method, usless I really bash the hell out of them, they come out like new. I even had him do an FMF pipe once, after some scotch briting, even the finish looked good again.

Who told you that? $60 plus shipping:

http://www.piperepair.com/

Who told you that? $40 plus shipping:

motocrosspiperepair

lol, just razzin ya, I'm sure they're both good, but my Fatty looked perfect for

$12 out + $40 + $12 back = $64 total.

I then picked up a couple good used pipes, will dent them all, then the shipping

will be about $10 round trip shipped together or $50 total per pipe.

Not bad.

Who told you that? $40 plus shipping:

motocrosspiperepair

lol, just razzin ya, I'm sure they're both good, but my Fatty looked perfect for

$12 out + $40 + $12 back = $64 total.

I then picked up a couple good used pipes, will dent them all, then the shipping

will be about $10 round trip shipped together or $50 total per pipe.

Not bad.

My pipe guy is Eric Waunch here in the NW (also runs an MX school), he charged me $35 the last time around. I thought about getting a rig together to fix them myself, but I have enough to do already.

I have also gathered spare pipes for all my smokers, I absolutely hate missing a ride.