Sign in to follow this  

Kelly Blue Book and Owner-Sales

Good grief, is it just me? Everyone thinks their barn-bike of yesteryear is worth well over high book.

Is KBB even worth using when looking at bikes? I've actually found dealerships so far to have more sane pricing on used bikes than ones sold by the owner. The worst so far have been bikes that are offroad only--playbikes, if you will, that have been made street legal. They're asking as much as double or better what they're valued at by KBB.

Help a brother out.

mule

KBB is a hit and miss.....dealers use NADA, as well as banks, auto dealers..so I always refrence NADA.com

Thanks, I'll check nada.com. I have a sense that with the gas prices, everyone is bumping their prices. Plus, it's selling and buying time. New bikes hit the floor shortly, everyone's got the fever from a winter of reading reviews on bikes they can't see yet but are sure they want.

I hope that's it.

Spring has a lot to do with it around here as "winter pricing discounts" go by the wayside. But still... some of the ads I've seen the past couple days locally are just delusional.

NADA was even harder on these guys than Kelly. The worst: a 2000 Honda XR 600 made street-legal and has lots of performance parts on it. He wants $3500, Kelly says $1715 high book. NADA: $837-1098. Neither of them take into account desert tanks or other hi-pro parts, granted, but that doesn't make up the difference. Not even close.

Here are some others:

2002 Honda XR650L: asking $2950.

Kelly----------------------- 2680 high.

NADA---------------------- 945-1200.

2007 Honda XR650L: asking $3990.

Kelly---------------------- $4030.

NADA--------------------- $2525-3325.

2003 BMW G750GS: asking $5500.

Kelly--------------------- $4425.

NADA-------------------- $2504-3308.

This bike does have a few more goodies: Brembo brakes, ceramic coated exhaust, Corbin seat.

See what I'm getting at? Something is in somebody's water. Maybe everyone is getting their prices from the same people that told them what their houses were worth? :cheers:

Technically, you add up what it costs to replace those aftermarket parts with OEM and subtract it from the value.

But yeah, people want a fortune for bikes, even non-running junk.

Technically, you add up what it costs to replace those aftermarket parts with OEM and subtract it from the value.

But yeah, people want a fortune for bikes, even non-running junk.

You mean, bikes with aftermarket stuff are worth LESS than if they were stock, not more??

You mean, bikes with aftermarket stuff are worth LESS than if they were stock, not more??

Technically, yes. If a bank was to estimate the value of a bike they need to compare aples to apples. Meaning oem to oem. They cant compare stock bike book values with modified bikes, so they subtract the replacement amount.

Same goes with cars.

Just because the parts is aftermarket and shiny doesn't mean anything. "But it's got Excel rims and a FMF pipe." So what, the bike is supposed to have rims and a pipe.

Yeah totally agreed. I've been looking into buying a 400ex and people want an arm and a leg for theres. Ive seen 2002 stock 400s and they want 3k for em. REDICOULOUS!!

The blue book doesn't have any relationship to what a bike really costs. Look on ebay and Craigslist and get an idea of asking prices.

The book is much lower than what you can actually buy a bike for, because there is such a wide variation in condition.

Look at boats on NADAguides.com. The listed book price is half of what a boat really costs.

The market will tell you when the price is right. In Denver, a city with 3.5 million people within an hour's drive, if your item doesn't sell in 2-3 days, it's the price. That doesn't count oddball items with less than mass market appeal.

well i believe that things such as triple clamps rims and chains and sprockets do increase the value, but any modifications to the engine or pipe are things i stay away from because they make it sound like a race bike that could possible be ran into the ground. i would take a stock bike over a race-looking bike any day

The blue book doesn't have any relationship to what a bike really costs. Look on ebay and Craigslist and get an idea of asking prices.

The book is much lower than what you can actually buy a bike for, because there is such a wide variation in condition.

Yup, I concur...take a handful of CL ads, toss out the whacked out one or two with through the roof pricing, deduct about 10%, and that's what the market value of a given item is.

A bone stock bike is the most valuable. Nice handlebars and wheels are cool, but the slightest sign of mods, and I lose interest.

In my case, it depends....a good skid plate, a set of bark busters, an oversize tank, a pipe guard, a good silencer, etc are all things that are a plus in my book. I'd pay a few hundred more for a bike equipped with these vs a bone stock bike in similar condition.

well i believe that things such as triple clamps rims and chains and sprockets do increase the value, but any modifications to the engine or pipe are things i stay away from because they make it sound like a race bike that could possible be ran into the ground. i would take a stock bike over a race-looking bike any day

Thats where alot of people are wrong!

Walk through the pits at your local mx race, the guys there are meticulously going over their bikes. Making sure all the bolts are tight, nothings leaking, etc. You barely see that on a bike that spent most of its time being flogged in a sand pit somewhere.

i know they are but i have also seen ALOT of racers run their race bikes into the ground

dealers won't give you $$ for extras....unless you have a dealer that will wor with you.

just found that out with my quad....who knows maybe he had a buyer in the grass waiting.

I found the asking price high but if you show with cash they will deal. CAse in point I am just looking for a new bike to have something difffernt. Called on a SV650 that had an asking price of $4k. I offered $3k over the phone and they said sure.

dealers won't give you $$ for extras....unless you have a dealer that will wor with you.

just found that out with my quad....who knows maybe he had a buyer in the grass waiting.

A dealer is going to give as little as he possibly can for any trade in, and then sell it for as much as possible.

He's going to tell you at trade in that the mods and extras are of no value, but come time to sell that same machine, he's going to point out all the aftermarket stuff, and how that makes it a better machine, thus making it worth more.

Dealers are in business to make a profit.