Sorting Through the Mess of UsedBikeLand

I'm 45, not a kid, and have some time on bikes--farm bikes as a kid, playing and working livestock, then an XT350 I rattled all around Holland on for a couple years while I was stationed there in the late '80s, and more recently a '79 CB750.

I miss my XT for commuting and playing. And the wife and I might like to go have some adventures. Not Africa, but we live in western Oregon. It's right out our back door.

I'm trying to stay under the $4000 range. Life ain't cheap, I can't blow it all on my bike. I'd like to, but. . .

On my radar so far have been: Suzuki DR650's, Honda XR650L's, Kawasaki KLR650's.

And even some old or odd stuff: 1984 XL500/250, 1991 XT350, and a 1994 Husqvarna WXC 610 made street-legal. Oh, and there was a 2003 BMW F650GS that was pushing us well past our budget. What a priddddy bike.:cheers:

I was real impressed by that guy Adam that rode his DL650 to the Arctic Circle from Michigan, then to Mexico, and home again. Saw his thread on another forum. Made the bike sound pretty good.

I'm 5'7"/250, so tall bikes, while not out, well. . ...oh, and did I mention my mom took thalidomide when she was pregnant with me? Short arms, bro. :ride:Flippers.

So, bike will commute to work primarily--but it's like twelve miles and I don't even need to take the freeway. I can and sometimes do run cross-town on surface streets. I actually prefer a more dirt ride to a bigger bike for the agility and lightness because of it. My XT was good there, and even it was a bit tubby for what I might have liked for city riding.

Weekends might be a ride out into the pucker-brush, forest roads, BLM stuff, or maybe a buzz on twisty two-lane to the coast, or down to mom n' dad's on similar two-lane. If the wife does keep asking for a dirt ride, we might turn into a two-bike off-road family as I don't think she'll be up for an endorsement.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

mule

KLR is probably a bit on the tall side for you, so maybe look at the DR650. BMW's cockpit feel cramped to me, but you might like them with shorter arms. Most of these types of issues can be fixed with lowering links or bar risers and such if you find an otherwise right bike at the right price.

If you haven't already, go to several dealers to throw a leg over a few bikes to see what fits you ergonomically.

KLR is probably a bit on the tall side for you, so maybe look at the DR650. BMW's cockpit feel cramped to me, but you might like them with shorter arms. Most of these types of issues can be fixed with lowering links or bar risers and such if you find an otherwise right bike at the right price.

If you haven't already, go to several dealers to throw a leg over a few bikes to see what fits you ergonomically.

Good tip, thanks!! :cheers: