Which 2 Stroke Oil?

I have a yz250, was told to use Motul 810 premix, can only find 800, is there any other oil premix that is cheaper, but wont sacrfice quality? and where to buy, seems that i need to order the motul premix.

No such thing as 810, they do make a 710 and its a better premix for 2stks (has lower flash point) meaning no spooge. I use amsoil dominator 50:1

Your going to get 20 people who respond and 40 answers from them.

I run Maxima Castor 927.

In short pick any brand name 2 stroke oil and stick with it. Make sure you always get the ratio perfect and you'll be fine.

walmart supertech

What kind of riding do you do, and what level rider are you?

For example - pro mx racer vs newbie mxer, high speed trail riding, putting behind your kid on a PW50, etc etc.

The oil that's ride for Rider-A might be completely wrong for Rider-B, and of course personal opinion / feelings comes into play for a lot of it too.

I've been doing a lot of research on 2 stroke oils lately.

Motul 800 is a very high viscosity oil (19.2 cSt @ 100C) with a very high flash point (525F). What's that mean? It provides great protection under extreme conditions, and will continue lubricating well at high engine temps. Also means that on a bike not being ridden hard it's going to pass a lot of that oil right out the exhaust as liquid spooge. Good oil for dunes, desert riding, or hard mx and deep sand. Lots of wide open throttle, high rpm, heavy engine loads that keep piston and cylinder temperatures up. Not the greatest choice for trail riding.

On the other end of things you have something like Motul 710. Lower viscosity (8.9 cSt @ 100C) and much lower flash point (190F). It's still a quality oil with good protection, but won't stand up to extreme constant high loads as well as the Motul 800. The lower flash point means more of the oil is turned to vapor in a cooler running engine, which lets it be swept out the exhaust without becoming a spooge filled mess. A good oil for trail riding, tight woods work, slower mx riders, etc. Anywhere that piston/cylinder temps are consistantly lower.

Now, Motul is just one of the zillion brands you can chose from, all of which have multiple oils to chose from. Just about anything CAN work, but chosing wisely can keep an engine healthy longer. One thing to look for is API-TC certification, which has to do with piston ring-land ash and carbon build up. Cheap TC-W3 outboard oils might not meet this certification, and that can lead to prematurely stuck rings and engine damage.

Myself - I've got over 56 hours with Pennzoil Multi-Purpose 2 Cycle oil from Walmart. Cheap, API-TC certified, 212F flash point (I ride trails), and things look great in the top end from what I can see through the exhaust port (I'll get pics when I tear it down, hopefully soon). A bit spoogier than I expected though, so I will probably try something different once I rebuild. I'm leaning right now towards Castrol PowerRS TTS, specs look good and it's ISO-EGD rated, which means it should be quite clean burning (little smoke or deposits).

So, should you not switch oils around? Should you wait to switch oil until you do a top end? Or if the tank and carb is empty are you safe to change Tia different brand oil?

I bought this yz250 used, the owner before me has always used motul, like duneslider said above, is it bad to keep changing premix oil around?

For the most part, no, it's not a problem. When I've changed in the past I'll drain the tank and burn the left over in the truck, so the gas/oil mix is all new. Still lots of residual oil in the crankcase though.

I believe the biggest problem when trying to switch it up is mixing synthetics and castor oils.

I switched to the Pennzoil after the last rebuild, and I just wanted to run it for an entire top end to see how things look without the variables of running multiple different oils through it's life.

I am in the same boat. I just bought a used yz and the previous owner was using an oil that isn't as easy for me.to get so I thought I would switch to yamalube 2r or mobile 1 since I can get them pretty easy.

X2 on Maxima Castor 927 I run that threw both my bikes and my banshee. It burns nice little to no spooge....o ya an it smells amazing..:cheers::banana:

Duneslider im just going to go into a local store and see what they have that isnt bad quality, if you find something that is cheap and good let me know =)

And i mostly ride Trails, or go to a friends house and ride his little MX track with some jumps and stuff

I am in the same boat. I just bought a used yz and the previous owner was using an oil that isn't as easy for me.to get so I thought I would switch to yamalube 2r or mobile 1 since I can get them pretty easy.

You sure about the Mobil 1? It hasn't been around for a while. From their website -

What happened to Mobil 1 Racing 2T?

Mobil 1 Racing 2T was discontinued in the fall of 2007, and there is no replacement for it in the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil product lineup.

Thanks for the info in the mobile 1. I just happened to be in a smaller shop and they has it on the shelf for a good price. Guess that's why it was priced good. I have several bottles of.the stuff the previous owner was running and it will probably get me into the fall, at that point I will probably do a too end.

I have no problem running good oil, price isn't really a concern for me since in reality you don't use that much. I am more concerned with availability.

Yamalube R2 I hear is the goods.

@ adam727 i have a 95 yz 125, currently getting a 144 eric gorr big bore kit, with fmf fatty gold series pipe and fmf shorty silencer, and the type of riding i do is, street riding ,street drag racing and i ride trails hards alot. so which type of 2troke oil i should use, cause all i know i benoil oil , castrol 2t oil and yamah lube.

At the moment I'm running motul in my yz 250 and yz 80. I had previously tried some yamalube in my yz80 and aprilia 2 stroke roadbike. Thing is I noticed improved power in the roadbike when I switched to yamalube, maybe the oil pump settings made the perfect mix for yamalube in the carby but that stuff boosted power by a noticeable amount.

@ adam727 i have a 95 yz 125, currently getting a 144 eric gorr big bore kit, with fmf fatty gold series pipe and fmf shorty silencer, and the type of riding i do is, street riding ,street drag racing and i ride trails hards alot. so which type of 2troke oil i should use, cause all i know i benoil oil , castrol 2t oil and yamah lube.

Attempting not to rant about street riding and the bad image it gives dirt bikes........ :cheers:

Ok, a 125 that's being rung hard is going to want lots of oil, a high flash point, and fairly high viscosity for max protection. Some oils that fit the bill:

• Klotz Super Techniplate (smells nice with the 20% BeNOL)
  • Klotz R50 Techniplate
  • Klotz BeNoil Racing Castor Oil (will require more frequent power valve cleaning due to the gumming of the castor oil)
  • Maxima Castor 927 (really popular here, smells great)
  • Motul 800
  • Silkolene Pro 2
  • Silkolene Pro KR2

And probably a whole lot more. I'm far from complete on the spreadsheet of oils and their properties I'm attempting to compile.

Talking to my local dealer they reccomended the maxima Castor927 which is what i run now. Very good oil and the smell is worth it to.

@adam728, imma use the maxima Castor927!

i use Motul 800 2T oil, and it is good.

get the motul 800 oil, and ratio at 32:1