Kickstart lever stripped? low compression?

Late last season I wasn't riding often and when I fired it up after a long time and under cold storing conditions it didn't fire up right away, more like 40 kicks later. I thought it was just cold but I discovered the bolt holding the kickstart lever was loose. I tightened it and the compression felt like it was normal like always. I went to fire it up for the first time and the kickstart is tight but it feels like low compression so I'm not sure if I stripped something or the topend is shot. Im not a mechanic by any means but I'm concerned. Any advice?

i meant i fired it up for the first time this season after putting it away when i discovered it felt soft to the kick even tho the bolt was tight

the kickstarter shaft is splined. So if the bolt is loose, the kickstart will fall off eventually when riding.

The engine does have an auto decompression system built into the cam. So you are not going to be able to tell compression by kicking it over or with a gauge. You need to measure the valve clearances, the decompressor clearance on the 02-06 models and then do a leak down test.

Also clean the carb. it will start a lot easier with a clean one than a dirty one. :cheers:

thanks, I should def clean the carb, I haven't since I bought the bike, and if the spline isn't stripped and the bolt is tight why do i feel like there's not much resistance when i kick it?

and im not sure what a leak down test is?

I gotchya! thanks

the kickstarter shaft is splined. So if the bolt is loose, the kickstart will fall off eventually when riding.

The engine does have an auto decompression system built into the cam. So you are not going to be able to tell compression by kicking it over or with a gauge. You need to measure the valve clearances, the decompressor clearance on the 02-06 models and then do a leak down test.

Also clean the carb. it will start a lot easier with a clean one than a dirty one. :cheers:

JJ,

not to bust balls, and you usually have great info.. but this is the 2nd time i have seen ya post info about not being able to do a comp test on a crf450.. THat simply isn't true. In the manual (for my 04crf450) it clearly states 78psi.. with the throttle wfo.. is the minimum service limit for a compression test. This accounts for the decomp. AND.. your not understanding how a leak test is done if you say you can do a leak test but can't do a comp test on this machine. It uses nearly the same principle to determine wear.

Now, will this determine what the OP's issue is? i don't know, but you CAN do a comp test on a crf450..