How to measure the float?

I have revalved my 2009 Honda CRF250R showa forks 3 times now and have a good setting, but I still want to improve on it.

What is the float and how do you measure it?

Is there another thread on thumpertalk or somewhere else that explains it well???

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Fishdog

2 feeler gauges is what i do, one each side and see if it goes in smoothly but not loose.

Now, is there any real issue with moving shims to the bottom of the stack when pulling shims to keep the height the same?

example:

20x.1

20x.1

20x.1

17x.1

17x.1

17x.1

9.5x.3 or whatever for deflection

to:

20x.1

20x.1

17x.1

17x.1

17x.1

20x.1

9.5x.3

yes in that stack the 20.1 is still a active shim, it needs to be under the 9.5

Ugh, I typed the wrong but you answered my question anyway with the 20.1 being at the bottom of the stack.

Thanks

so you measure the gap between the valve and first shim?

sorry I'm still learning :cheers:

what does the float do? and what effect does it have when its bigger or smaller?

Can you work it out without using feeler gauges?

Is it possible that when I calculate how much float it should have on paper and how much float I measure with the feeler gauges I always get .02-.03 smaller on the feeler gauge. What do i do wrong?

what does the float do? and what effect does it have when its bigger or smaller?

Can you work it out without using feeler gauges?

the float is like a bypass for the shim stack.

a smaller float makes a more stiff feeling, a bigger float makes it softer, but its easier that the forks bottom out.

there are a lot of threads here about float, just do a search...

:cheers:

Is it possible that when I calculate how much float it should have on paper and how much float I measure with the feeler gauges I always get .02-.03 smaller on the feeler gauge. What do i do wrong?

do you measure the shim stack or calculate? then maybe you calculate a KYB shim with 0.10mm instead of 0.115mm?

nevertheless I also get different results :ride:

ok I will do a search! there is so many threads on TT suspension forum tho.

Thank you for your help everyone

Anyway, 2009 CRF250 without mid float.

Babilon are you saying that a 2009 crf250 that comes with showa forks, doesn't have a mid valve float???

2009 CRF250R EU stock spec :

MV

18.08 (2) bleed shims

20.08 (5)

19,5x4,0 konus collar

I always calculate the showa floats.

Collar height= 2.0mm-

Mid piston recess= 1.0mm-

Active shims= - .8

Float =.2mm

KYB measure the distance between the 17.3 and the mids cupped base. that's how much it will move

KYB measure the distance between the 17.3 and the mids cupped base. that's how much it will move

Yep, that works for me too.:cheers: