Sign in to follow this  

New 2010 CRF 250 crank out with 9hrs!

My buddy just bought his son a brand new left over 2010 CRF 250. He was riding the bike in practice and the rear wheel started to tighten up like he was applying the brakes. The motor eventually locked up and after inspecting the bike it appears the crank went out.

I thought I read about CRF's leaking gas from the fuel injector into the crank causing them to go out. Is this the problem is there a fix?

Has anyone had this happen? With it being a race bike Honda isn't going to do anything.

This sucks in so many ways. His dad works in the construction business so needless to say money is tight. On top of that they are going to miss the LL qualifier.

What has happened to Honda? They used to be so reliable.

That really sucks! I have about 400 offroad miles on my 10 and everything is good so far. But everytime I read about a crank failure I think about getting rid of it. I don't read about bad cranks on other brands. Honda needs to step up and cure the issue.

I complained about valves on my 450's after 30 hours but a crank at 9hrs. That's just crazy!!!

There was a local A rider there who rides the crap out of his 2010 RMZ 250 and he said the only thing he has replaced is the clutch. He probably has 25+ races on the bike and many days of practice.

That really sucks! I have about 400 offroad miles on my 10 and everything is good so far. But everytime I read about a crank failure I think about getting rid of it. I don't read about bad cranks on other brands. Honda needs to step up and cure the issue.

It seems the crank failure is common with this bike and it must be relayed to the EFI leaking.

There were only valve issues until the EFI came out.

The question is how do you fix it?

I complained about valves on my 450's after 30 hours but a crank at 9hrs. That's just crazy!!!

There was a local A rider there who rides the crap out of his 2010 RMZ 250 and he said the only thing he has replaced is the clutch. He probably has 25+ races on the bike and many days of practice.

The 250f euro models hold up well also. Seems to be a Honda issue.

don't they usually get gold shavings in the oil when the crank goes?? Did he check for that??

Yeah tons of gold shavings and slop or side to side play in the bearings.

Even though t has nine hours he should try to contact Honda. I mean that is reall not much time. Pull all the threads on here that talk about peoples cranks going out With the 2010s and send it in. Atleast I would try that you never know.

i have a 2010 and im scared of the same thing happening. i also personally know 3 other people that this has happened to, one of witch was able to get honda to replace the motor. another guy i know got a 08 when they first came out and with less then 10 hours it blew the head gasket. he was able to get honda and the dealer to split the cost for the fix.

so im saying there is some hope.

My 2010 went the entire season on the OEM crank with no issues. My 09 450 had the leaking injector that was fixed by replacing it. If your injector is leaking you will know it when you pull the dip stick and it starts poring out. I would go to the dealer, with that little bit of time Honda should fix it.

Honda will not fix the bike but the shop is cutting him a break on the parts. The kid is part rockoffroadracing.org team and we are all going to pitch in some money to help him fix the bike.

Luckily the Cylinder is ok but the cases will need to be split and a new top-end installed.

For the future I guess he can just replace the motor oil after every ride and hope for the best.

My 2010 went the entire season on the OEM crank with no issues. My 09 450 had the leaking injector that was fixed by replacing it. If your injector is leaking you will know it when you pull the dip stick and it starts poring out. I would go to the dealer, with that little bit of time Honda should fix it.

You lost me a little. Do you mean when you pull the oil dipstick you will notice gasoline coming out?

How come Honda won't fix it?

It's a race bike and they are not obligated to. I mean I know (2) guys who dropped valves on their 450's at 15 hours and trashed the motor and Honda did nothing!

I know that's what Honda says but I just think it's the lamest excuse ever for them to say that. If a crank goes out or the bike has a major malfunction before the first oil change is even called for in the manual then clearly the company messed up and should cover some of it and not just say it's a race machine too bad.

If everyone that bought a lamborgini had it blow up after a week of driving it and spending 300 k on a car and all Lamborghini said was sorry tOo bad it's a race machine we won't help you then they would probably be out of business. That's jus how I feel about it. For what people pay for these bikes it would be nice for the company to step Up like ktm. I know of two 350s one with a blown tranny and one a blown motor and they covered it in some way.

Thats right the oil will come out of the dip stick hole if the injector is leaking. I change the oil after every 2 motos and have never had crank problems.

That is VERY lame of honda not to cover this case...totally makes me consider defecting to KTM's...they cover anything and everything with no problems involved!! (and YES I know that from experience not just word of mouth)...I have heard yam and kaw are good as well. SHAME ON YOU Honda!!

Yeah his dad is struggling financially and the kid even took a part-time job at Papa John's to help pay for the racing. The had a 2006 KXF 250 but there something little going wrong here and there so they decided to just finance a new bike.

We are all going to pitch in what we can and try and help pay for the repair. Luckily my son is racing a Metrakit 50 (Cobra inventor's new bike) and learning to ride his KTM 65. I dread the day when we have to ride/race 4-strokes. The maintenance cost may drive us out of the sport.

Thats right the oil will come out of the dip stick hole if the injector is leaking. I change the oil after every 2 motos and have never had crank problems.

Yeah I suggested they change the oil after every day or riding. I know on the racing 50's (Cobra, Metrakit, KTM) you should change the ATF oil after every tank of gas.