Drz400k 2000 wont start

Hi, might be some stupid questions in here but:

I can't get my bike started, it is a 2000 drz400k (pretty much stock). It ran perfect on friday when I last rode it but when i tried to start it monday morning I noticed that the choke was already out :cheers: (maybe some kids pulled it out over the weekend? it's parked in a trafficked area and maybe the petcock was on as well (don't remember, but the fuel tank is still full and the oil doesn't smell like gasoline).

It is dead, i tried draining the carb by giving full throttle and kicking it 10-20 times with the fuel off, and i tried "start-spray". I think it made one big "bang" once, or it was a gun going off close by. I think it was the bike.

I checked the valves 10 hours ago and they were in spec (15,15 and 25,25 ).

Spark is not confirmed, but the hour-meter starts blinking which means that there is at least voltage to the plug (ruling out kill-switch and other stuff)..

It is not parked at home so I don't have access to tools (have to put it on a trailer on friday and fix it at home)..

Is there anything I can try that doesn't involve taking everything apart? what should I do when have the opportunity to take everything apart?

and does it really matter if the choke is on when the bike is parked?

All help appreciated

Choke on when parked does not matter. Petcock on might be a problem.

Take the time to change the spark plug is about all I can suggest. Verify spark at the plug.

Got any hills in Norway? Coast it down a hill in 3rd gear.

ugh, yeah.. I tried down a hill, no luck.. except for the workout I got from pushing it up again. I read somewhere that taking a cap of motor-oil down the spark-plug hole might help. something about piston seals getting dry. might try that as well..

ugh, yeah.. I tried down a hill, no luck.. except for the workout I got from pushing it up again. I read somewhere that taking a cap of motor-oil down the spark-plug hole might help. something about piston seals getting dry. might try that as well..

Can't recommend this???

Can't recommend this???

Pushing it back up, or a cap of oil?

Edited by helledussen
spelling
Pushing it back up, or a cap of oil?

:cheers: Both - but I initially meant the oil in the cylinder trick. Good luck.

if you try the cap of oil down the spark plug hole, make sure you do not put too much in there (or, if you do, crank it with the plug still out before actually trying to start it). you do not want to hydrolock the engine with oil.

that is an old trick for getting compression up during a compression test (if the compression comes up after putting some oil in there, it could point to the poor compression being a result of worn rings...no change could point to bad valves).

i've never heard of it being used as a trick to get the engine to start, and can't really imagine it would do much for that, but i haven't heard of lots of things that actually work, so...

Since you found the choke out someone may have tried starting it and flooded it.

Try this:

Remove spark plug and turn engine over several times with key off to clear excess fuel out of cylinder. Connect spark plug, lay against cylinder and turn engine over with key on to check for spark. If spark good reinstall plug and try starting with choke off for the first couple of tries and then on. Good chance it will start!