Sign in to follow this  

Constantly buying fork fluid

I've been getting into my suspension on nearly a weekly basis, everytime I want to do something to my forks I have to dump the fluid. Do you guys reuse the fluid or always add fresh?

On twin chambers you shouldn't need to dump the outer fluid. I'd reuse the inner fluid if I was opening them up a couple of times a week to make adjustments.

I've been getting into my suspension on nearly a weekly basis, everytime I want to do something to my forks I have to dump the fluid. Do you guys reuse the fluid or always add fresh?

It will not hurt anything to reuse fluid for the purpose of testing.

As long as there isn't a bunch of time on the fluid. Once you get your desired settings then yes, go with the good or new fluids.

Here is the method I use on my TC forks . I remove the bottom base bolt obviously upside down . Then I remove the rebound adjuster from the damping rod . I then pull the fork apart just a bit maybe an inch or two . Then I screw the base reb adjust bolt back in . then Invert the fork remove the damper for any valving changes that are needed fairly slowly to allow oil to drip back in so I dont change the oil height cc by to much . I leave the spring in set that part of the fork aside . I remove the basevalve whether it be a spring type or bladder type then Invert the fork into my measuring cup drain the fluid etc . I have my cup marked at 200 cc which seems most inner cartrideges take and just top up the fluid to that level usually requires around 5 to 10cc .

i made a horizontal servicing cradle for my forks. I will try to post a pic later. it uses two pieces of tupperware under each tube end to catch residual drips.the cradle is just wooden and elevated a few inches so the tupperware can be placed under the forks. i used steel plate under the tupperware screwed to the wood. In the tupperware are magnets to hold the tupperware from getting tipped . the magnets also remove any ferrous material

what i do is give the fork a bath before dissasembly to avoid contamination. i pour out the fork oils through filters into clean & dry gatorade bottles. then i lay the tube into the cradle as i do valving, the tupperwares catch residual drips. I can pretty much re-claim all the oil this way. if i'm careful i don't even have to re-measure the oil volumes (tested)

i only do this if i am doing a lot of valving tests,not if the oil is old.

if its clean low hours then reuse it, low hour oil is not worth throwing away.

Thanks. Yeah, Ive been only putting maybe 1-3 hours on the oil between modifications. And the last time I ordered oil it took ALOT longer than I anticipated to receive. I'm learning alot so I want to keep digging in there. haha

I'll find some sort of dedicated container. Union7, do you have a photo of that setup? I get the jist of it, but a pic is worth 1000 words.