Are any yrs 250x green sticker?

Green sticker worthy means no "C" or "3" in 8th digit of VIN.

Hmmm...maybe I don't know what you mean by green sticker worthy? I thought you meant able to be ridden on trails in Cali.

Here is an example of a CA VIN: JH2ME111-6M200001

and a 49 state VIN: JH2ME110-6M200001

For all years the 250X has been made, 2004-2009, if the eighth digit is a 1 it is a CA version and has the smog pump. If its a 0 its a 40 state bike. There aren't any 2010 and 2011 Xs. All Xs have either a 0 or a 1 as eighth digit.

• Like 1

Watch for bikes missing the air pump. In Cali some OHV parks have a "No pump, no ride" policy.

Yeah...thats what I thought he meant by green sticker. In other words, must have the smog pump and they're only on CA bikes.

Stated differently, unless it is a track (where you can ride em without the smog pump) there are places where you must have a CA legal bike which to me meant smog pump which = green sticker. So only bikes with a 1 in eighth digit would be green sticker legal.

Do I have it right?

Watch for bikes missing the air pump. In Cali some OHV parks have a "No pump, no ride" policy.

Do you have personal knowledge? Did you hear this from a friend who knows a guy? BTW, I reinstalled my smog pump after I heard it from a guy who knows a guy. The backfiring drives me crazy so now I want to take it off. Guess I need to pretend...

Do you have personal knowledge? Did you hear this from a friend who knows a guy? BTW, I reinstalled my smog pump after I heard it from a guy who knows a guy. The backfiring drives me crazy so now I want to take it off. Guess I need to pretend...

Yes, I have been to several parks, Prarie City and Hollister and have been told that my riding buddy could not even enter due to no mounted pump.

He simply did the JB Weld Mod to the pump and remounted it. Looks correct but is not funtional. No problems since.

Yes I know for a fact Hollister is like that and I believe Gorman also.

Yeah...thats what I thought he meant by green sticker. In other words, must have the smog pump and they're only on CA bikes.

Stated differently, unless it is a track (where you can ride em without the smog pump) there are places where you must have a CA legal bike which to me meant smog pump which = green sticker. So only bikes with a 1 in eighth digit would be green sticker legal.

Do I have it right?

Not sure exactly what OP was after but there is also bikes that do not have pumps in Cali that are green sticker. Generaly the older 4 strokes made it into our wonderful state as green sticker bikes.

Yes, I have been to several parks, Prarie City and Hollister and have been told that my riding buddy could not even enter due to no mounted pump.

He simply did the JB Weld Mod to the pump and remounted it. Looks correct but is not funtional. No problems since.

Add Carnegie to that list. They were turning people around at the gate in summer '08.

Don't use JB weld, simply go the hardware store and buy a bag of assorted rubber hose end caps. Simply slide the stock hoses off the appropriate nipples. Place the proper sized rubber end cap on there and then slide the stock hose back over the top. Its a better method because...

.its invisible unless you remove the hose.

.it take 2 minutes to do.

.if you ever do get called on it all you need to do is pull the caps off and your back to legal, no tools required.

epdmrubbercaps_lg.jpg

What do you do on the metal hose that goes into the motor?

Just leave everything intact. all you need to do is plug the large rubber hose that comes from the airbox to the pump. Just pull off the hose at the pump end and plug it there. Anything cone shaped works good. This is great spot because it can be removed in seconds if needed. You just need to stop the flow of air into the pump and this is where it's drawn from.