Help with SPI Dell Taco Tuning

i have one of my SPI Dell Taco kits installed in my friends Bike(2009 CRF).

we use a limit in the blowoff mid to prevent blow throgth and only the 175Spring,

the stock DDT Design blows througth to easy so we have limited the Blowoff

the setting works well, very stable,the front rides high and only soft bottoming with 330ccm oil.

the bike feels good but it is just to stiff on the small to medium bumps.

what would be the best way to fix this?

Softer Base

Softer midstack

larger blowoff limit??

Setting

Base

32.11 3x

32.11 15

11x1.4 base

no bleedstack

mid

20.11 3x

11.25 2x

175 spring

6x8x7mm sleeve.

8x10x1mm 4x (Blow-off limit Shims)

spring-preload 1.25mm - 2.25 Newton

Blow-off limit 0.55mm

14Nmm EPNP kit in

Clover plate inst.

stock springs (4.6Nmm)

330 Oil (KYB 01)

Rider 75kg B level. 40+.

he like the stabylity but need just more comfort for the Races.

Opinions?

Edited by racerfmx450

Racer,

Imo, I would try addressing the Mv. Take a 20 out on the compression side.

Now are we talking Moto or offroad? If moto, I would go to the BV and remove

the crossover. From my personal experience, my ride was loads better with 1 20 removed from the MV and my crossover removed from the basevalve.

Hope this helps!:cheers:

jw

Racer,

Imo, I would try addressing the Mv. Take a 20 out on the compression side.

Now are we talking Moto or offroad? If moto, I would go to the BV and remove

the crossover. From my personal experience, my ride was loads better with 1 20 removed from the MV and my crossover removed from the basevalve.

Hope this helps!:cheers:

jw

Thanks!

its for MX.

so you think a softer mid and single stage Base?..?

sounds good,i will try it,

:ride:

Ah....do you have the smaller #62 spring as well?

If so, I'll post a set-up for you. If not, then we'll send a set to you.

Hi Dave!

Thanks!

i have the 62 Spring.

on this bike i have removed the 62 and limited the blowoff .

= less preload on the mid and a limit to prevent blow throught.

works good but its to stiff???

Thanks!

its for MX.

so you think a softer mid and single stage Base?..?

sounds good,i will try it,

:cheers:

yes , softer mid. During my testing I also had the crossover in the 3rd,5,and 8 position at various testing intervals.

Also, I removed some faceshims off the base valve, even though it helped to feel more planted and a little more plush, it blew through more than what I liked. So, I took out the 2 stage base and addressed the mid valve. With no side effects. Its all good. IMO, work with the MV until you get results you want. :ride:

If the low speed harshness is coming from the mid, and you can't introduce float due to the spring preloaded design used, then what about a crossover on the mid under one face shim?

Crossover in the mid might be too soft.. IMO that would be the next move that I would make after removing on of the 20's if that wasn't enough.:cheers:

Something like 20,18,20,16 and so on.

Or he can do a bleed shim setup 12,20,20,20 and so on.

But I found just removing 1 20 made loads difference for me on this setup.

Thanks all for the help!!

we will try at first one less 20.1 on the mid and 4 less 32.11 on the base.

also a single stage base.

for a softer inital feeling i think a 10mm base on the mid instead of the 11 will also work.

i will not change the blowoff-limit at time , we need stability on the whoops and ramps.:cheers:

On a sorta related note Ive tried a bleed face shim on my ktm and seemed to help alot on the mid . I tried the ddt in the past and wonder if this might have been the hot ticket to make it work as have an 09 crf 450 as well But I wasnt happy with the DDT at that time with the setup I tried. The main problem I had was getting the bike to corner it would push .

Thanks all for the help!!

we will try at first one less 20.1 on the mid and 4 less 32.11 on the base.

also a single stage base.

for a softer inital feeling i think a 10mm base on the mid instead of the 11 will also work.

i will not change the blowoff-limit at time , we need stability on the whoops and ramps.:cheers:

Racer,

You don't think taking 4 32's out might be too much? When I took only 2 faceshims off the BV, It blew threw too quick. I put the BV LS back to stock when I addressed the mid. Just clarifying what I did. :ride:

Since we're on the subject of the dell taco and crossover, what are people's opinions on a crossover on the base in sand and whoops? I was thinking about pulling mine and doing some testing.

Racer,

You don't think taking 4 32's out might be too much? When I took only 2 faceshims off the BV, It blew threw too quick. I put the BV LS back to stock when I addressed the mid. Just clarifying what I did. :cheers:

4 less 32.11 but single stage ,i think the overallstiffness of the Basestack will be the same or stiffer:thinking:

4 less 32.11 but single stage ,i think the overallstiffness of the Basestack will be the same or stiffer:thinking:

That is what I'm saying, I pulled my xover, then tested the BV with 2 shims removed and it blew threw. IMO, I think your turning too many "knobs" at once.:cheers:

If your removing shims, I dont see it being the same "stiffness" and not stiffer.

I see it being too soft for moto, in my mind anyway.:ride:

removing the 24.15 crossover?

it has a big influence at the entire damping curve. it makes LS a bit softer, but as its a OD 24 shim (not a 16mm), mid and HS will be stiffer. now that you remove it plus 4 face shims it will be much softer :cheers:

Since we're on the subject of the dell taco and crossover, what are people's opinions on a crossover on the base in sand and whoops? I was thinking about pulling mine and doing some testing.

Sand setups will require a stiffer setting. Having a xover makes a softer ride.

IMO, I would pull that xover. IMO I'm starting to think that a xover have no place in motocross. Offroad, harescrambles and enduros, I think would be good!

IMO. I'm referring to forks not shocks.