Sign in to follow this  

Trials tire comparo

So I am looking at getting a trials tire for my 09 KTM 200XC for competing in hare scrambles and I am trying to decide which one to get.

Michelin Trials Competition X11 is supposed to be excellent, but holy $$$ batman.

Dunlop D803 Decent price, Dunlop has a great name.

Pirelli MT43, seems maybe it's not a traditional trials tire, more suited to XC?????

Anybody have any experience comparing them?

I have read repeatedly that they do not like to be spun up. That will go well with my 11oz FWW I got then.

How are they in the mud?

Sand?

I have a 19" wheel for my 200 that I will bring along with a knobby mounted, what conditions should I ditch the trials tire, and throw on the knobby?

FYI our XC races are typically pretty slow, rooty, some times rocky, sometimes muddy, and sometimes a thin layer of mud over rock.

Thanks

Bergey

TT needs a gear forum, for riding gear and generic stuff like tires

I would look hard at the MT43 for what you describe, with a nuetech and run around 5psi, I like mine in the mud too

I would look hard at the MT43 for what you describe, with a nuetech and run around 5psi, I like mine in the mud too

We have one. It's called General Dirt Bike Discussion.

general has sooo much "general" traffic that hardware/upgrade posts like this are buried in hours, like this one will be

When I rode trials in the NW, I ran Michelins and they were outstanding on rocks and in the mud. They are stickier than any other tires I've seen. I have a friend who runs a Pirelli on the back of his 200xc and swears by it here in the hardpack, sand and rocks of AZ. It seems one of the mags ran a comparison of the different trials tires somewhat recently. Maybe someone remembers which mag it was, and hopefully that will help. Good luck making the right choice.

Pick one...see how it goes. If I were you, on a 200cc bike, I'd choose the Michelin or IRC...they're the softest...if ya flat too much, go Dunlop...Pirelli Mt43 for higher speeds, a big bore or decent dual sportable

My $.02

Good luck

general has sooo much "general" traffic that hardware/upgrade posts like this are buried in hours, like this one will be

Sorry if I got the wrong area, but above is the exact reason I put it here. Plus I find these types of forum areas tend to attract much more analytical, and helpful responses.

Thanks so far guys.

I have noticed online that there is a large descrepancy in price between the michelin tube type, and tubeless. What is the difference in the tire (other than the blatantly obvious of one being for a tube and one not), carcass, performance??

I will be using it with a tube.

I know of one guy whouses it on the front as well? I wondered about that, if it works great on the back why would it not work well on the front? Although he is def the first person I have heard of running it on the front.

Has anybody else tried it on the front?

I was totally set on getting the Pirelli, but thought I would check in here first. Is there anything the P does better than the M or D, beisides last longer, and run flat?

I will be doing no road riding, only harescrambles (cross country is what we call it up here), and trails riding for training. "eastern woods, slower, muddy, rounded rocky, rooty trails" This sound like a good description of our typical riding style.

+10 just do it!

Thanks so far guys.

I have noticed online that there is a large descrepancy in price between the michelin tube type, and tubeless. What is the difference in the tire (other than the blatantly obvious of one being for a tube and one not), carcass, performance??

I will be using it with a tube.

I know of one guy whouses it on the front as well? I wondered about that, if it works great on the back why would it not work well on the front? Although he is def the first person I have heard of running it on the front.

Has anybody else tried it on the front?

I was totally set on getting the Pirelli, but thought I would check in here first. Is there anything the P does better than the M or D, beisides last longer, and run flat?

I will be doing no road riding, only harescrambles (cross country is what we call it up here), and trails riding for training. "eastern woods, slower, muddy, rounded rocky, rooty trails" This sound like a good description of our typical riding style.

the pirelli handles closest to a knobby, it's a tougher tire and because of this it wont flex/grip quite as good, but if your gonna do harescrambles I would definitely try the mt43 first

I ride similar stuff here, and i've done harescrambles with mine and it works well, the only time the tire handles bad, is wet downhills, it'll pack up and slide too easy

If it's your first trials tire then the Perelli would be the best choice. It's bias ply, has stiffer sidewalls and will run fast without being squirly. Thats just like a knobby so getting used to it will be a bit easier. The thing sticks like glue even with 1/4" tread. I cut a groove in them with a die grinder and run them to 1/8". They still stick. For raceing? No way. A trials tire won't stop like a knobby and I know from riding with really good ex racer freinds I would need to be able to break slide a lot better to keep up. On everything else I'm just as fast but in the twistys a knobby bike will run off and leave you. Especially the guy is running the auto clutch. They break slide almost every turn because they don't stall. Blip, skid, blip, skid ect. A knobby smokes me. That said I use trials tires anyway because I love how smooth they are and how they stick when you are hooked up. They are physically worn out in 20 miles of our rocky single track and I'm ready to do the loop backwards. They buy new tires every month and I'm still on the same worn out Perelli. It's an amazing tire on a dirt bike but it is a debate.