stupid question choke open or closed

Lift the choke lever up to close the choke, push it down to open the choke.

I took my carb off and opened it up to change the needle setting. After getting everything back together the bike wouldn't run for crap unless the choke was on. I took it a part again to see what I had screwed up. Damn if I hadn't got the choke position mixed up.

:cheers:

ok know i am confused again... i am hearing contradictions: front is open and back is closed. up is on and down is off. and finally up closed and down is open????

I have an 01 650R with a 4.7 clark tank. I reach up under the tank to get to the choke. it feels as though i am pushing the lever back to front and front to back. when i am riding the bike and assuming the choke is closed its towards me or the seat (is this actually down). Cold start I push the choke lever forward half way, no click just a smooth range of motion. the bike starts and warms up i pull it back to the start position no problems. If i push the choke all the way to the front of the bike to what i think is full choke, the bike wont start and would stall if i went to that position from idleing in half choke. again when i go from back to front its a smooth push. when i push from full choke to half choke there is a click, then from half choke to no choke another click.

I am asking because this is a new bike to me and the previous owner did jetting so i want to be sure the carb isnt tweeked and i am driving around with the choke open.

okay sorry guys, i read the service manual and it dosnt say...probably cuz its obvious. did a google search and couldnt find the answer. hopefully i have it right.

ok know i am confused again... i am hearing contradictions: front is open and back is closed. up is on and down is off. and finally up closed and down is open????

I have an 01 650R with a 4.7 clark tank. I reach up under the tank to get to the choke. it feels as though i am pushing the lever back to front and front to back. when i am riding the bike and assuming the choke is closed its towards me or the seat (is this actually down). Cold start I push the choke lever forward half way, no click just a smooth range of motion. the bike starts and warms up i pull it back to the start position no problems. If i push the choke all the way to the front of the bike to what i think is full choke, the bike wont start and would stall if i went to that position from idleing in half choke. again when i go from back to front its a smooth push. when i push from full choke to half choke there is a click, then from half choke to no choke another click.

I am asking because this is a new bike to me and the previous owner did jetting so i want to be sure the carb isnt tweeked and i am driving around with the choke open.

okay sorry guys, i read the service manual and it dosnt say...probably cuz its obvious. did a google search and couldnt find the answer. hopefully i have it right.

Maybe actually go out to the bike and have a look under the seat at what your trying to feel and then you will see it has an upper position which means the choke is on, a middle position which means the choke and semi on and lower position which means the choke is off.

Its not rocket science and also grab a manual asap :cheers:

So your riding with the choke on trying to cover up another problem? :cheers:

now your just being a joker. i am riding with the choke lever down...aka closed! which is all i was trying confirm. the very first person to comment made that very clear. but thanks, i wont ever refer to choke open as forward...its up.