Sign in to follow this  

Washington Desert 100 2011 stories, pictures, video footage

First year to do the 100. All I can say is that it was crazy!

Finished both laps, blew out my forks about 20 mi into the second lap.

My body is ravaged so is the bike! All in all a cool experience!

Apparently I missed the sign up for pit racing. Do we need to register for pit racing or is the gate fee good enough?

Sunday's race was gnarly, loved it. :cheers:

Great weekend! Anybody know how the kid in the second wave is doing that got airlifted?

He was VERY lucky. His home with no major problems just very sore:thumbsup:

Apparently I missed the sign up for pit racing. Do we need to register for pit racing or is the gate fee good enough?

Sunday's race was gnarly, loved it. :cheers:

Make sure you have the uniform... black wife beater, antique bell helmet, camel no filter. and a budwieser between you legs in the naked girl coozy cup.. Oh, and show every one how good you can wheelie. You know the type"came for the party, man!"

On a side note the campers next to us, just south of the pissy pants bunch, let a buddy on a, I think late '70's husky(460?). We watched as he borrowed pants, boots the whole outfit. Takes off first time, does a rooster tail left, a rooster tail right, and takes off SCREAMIN. Told the wife "this is going to end ugly" as I ran over to watch the spectacle... He was gone and didn't see him till the next morning.... Broken collar bone 2 places.

Did the Ironman Saturday for the second time. AWESOME time again. Seems like there were way more bikes this year than last, and that the dust was a way bigger problem this year in the afternoon. Pretty much blind at times. The course was ten miles shorter than last year's, but still a hell of a lot of fun.

Interesting sight, though, thanks to the dust. On the second lap we got to the big, steep downhill and were just sick of fighting the dust. Decided, "Screw it, we've got all day, let's just wait it out." So we sat there taking a break for about 45 minutes until the majority of traffic was by and we could see again.

In the process I saw something that made me have to pick my jaw up off the ground: we're sitting across the trail from the exit of the big downhill just kind of watching the riders fighting (and occasionally crashing) their way down it. Suddenly a guy on a KLR650 comes barreling down the hill like a runaway train! He had clearly blown the corner, gotten down the hill too hot, and was heading straight for the cliff like his brakes just weren't doing a thing. About 20 feet form the cliff and at about 20mph he bailed off. It was like watching a disaster in slow motion. We're all sitting there thinking, "We're about to watch this guy get seriously injured or dead" as he rolled towards the edge of the cliff at a pretty good clip. It was horrible!

Then, thankfully, after rolling several times, he came to rest about five feet from the edge of the cliff. The front tire of his riderless bike hit a rock which, luckily for him, laid the bike on its side, buried pointy parts into the dirt, and brought the bike to a stop just short of careening over the cliff's edge. CRAZY stuff!

Eventually, after he shook the cobwebs out, a photographer nearby helped him muscle his bike back up to the trail. he eventually got the bike down to the bottom, but his helmet and bike both looked like they'd seen better days...

In other news, I've got a question:

I've yet to sack up and take on the race on Sunday. I'm pretty convinced that I just wouldn't be up to it. I mean, I'm no fat sack of crap or anything, but I don't exactly have time to do a lot of cardio, either, if you catch my drift. How the hell do the racers do it!? Do they literally race the whole thing without stopping except the pit between laps!? Do they stop and take breaks? Do they ride slower than they otherwise could to preserve energy? At the end of our second lap (so a mere 50 miles in) my brother missed the fact that our group had pulled over to rest and he blew on by. It took me five miles or so to catch him at 4th/5th gear speeds. Afterward I thought I was going to die! That was just five miles without a break. How the hell do people do fifty at that pace!?

Our group finished the Ironman in six hours counting a half hour lunch break between laps and breaks at least every four miles or so for everyone to catch up. And yet today I feel like Mike Tyson's sparring partner! So is that too slow to even bother with the race next year? Or would it not be a problem that I have to pull over and catch my breath from time to time?

Anyway, thanks SJMC!

There was a racer on Sunday that came through the pits after the first lap, standing on the pegs, holding his seat that came off in one hand, no back fender and no back tire, just rolling through on the rim. It was quite a sight.

My buddy who came with me had never been to anything like this (doesn't ride) and saw that guy roll through, and he just started crying with laughter. Said it was one of the stupidest/ballsiest things he had ever seen.

After being there for 10 days (sweeping the Frostbite for one of them) got lots of stories.

Parked the trailer in my driveway this afternoon and will look at it tomorrow. Have no desire to clean it just yet.

Poker run day - a little slower than usual for the sweep teams I put together in terms of injuries. I think the speeds were lower due to dust and deep whoops. Assisted a gal with a knee injury (already mentioned by a prior post) Typical mechanical issues out there so my final sweep with robr54 and jasonlion54 took 3hrs as we assisted and guided people out of the course. Missed my kids in the kids race but heard good raves about the new kids course.

Race Day - on the bike at 6:15...snapped chain at 6:16 so a huge kudos to I-90 for throwing a new chain on my bike.:cheers: Did 30 miles before 8am to make sure key parts of course were ready. Coming back, decided to park my bike and use wiz636 bike as my cam chain was not making a ticking sound, more like a clacking sound. His bike is sweet so a huge thanks to Wiz636:thumbsup:

Both waves gone, proceeded to patrol the course listening and relaying info to sweep teams and assist as needed. More injuries than normal due it being a race not a poker run so everyone was pretty busy. Got to see the top 5 OA several times throughout the course. Final sweep after finish line was closed took 4 hours as we(robr54, jasonlion54 and nillesracing) assisted several injuries and fatigued riders. Crossed the stage at 5:15 so 11 hrs in a helmet, backpack, tool pouch and boots called for many, many beers afterwards. Odometer on my GPS said 124 miles... no wonder my neck is stiff today.

Working on bike this week and heading back out this weekend to pull all those arrows and ribbon that guided you both Sat and Sun. :ride:

I did the Iron Man Poker Run in about 3.5 hours and I was only traveling 20 mph most the time. I did open the bike up a few times on my second lap but still it averaged 20 mph. I stopped for the hotdog but the line was too long and they ran out of cups right as it was my turn to get a drink so I turned around got on my bike and left. By the second lap they must of found cups and they were still giving out hotdogs but I kept riding no stop.

I was going really slow because I injured my throttle wrist 4 weeks ago and it is still fragile. There were times when I felt like taking a short cut back to the trucks but I toughed it out and finished.

I stopped a couple times for a few minutes to let the dust makers get by me.

Figure it out. The Iron Man was 50 miles long this year. A 20mph pace, which is really pretty slow, and no stops would work out to 2.5 hours

Now if you were to keep that same pace in the Desert 100 on Sunday you would finish in 5 hours. That is very doable at a slow pace. We ride long distance in the desert on a regular basis and your body begins to adjust to both the time in the saddle and the distance. You don't have to look like your in great shape to build up endurance (I'm living proof of that). You just have to do it on a regular basis.

This year for the first time I am not complaining about the short Iron Man. If it had actually been 70 or 80 miles my wrist would have forced me to quit.

I know I aggravated a bunch of the faster riders. I am sure they could not understand why a guy on an XR650R was going so slow but then it is a Poker Run not a pre-run for the Desert 100 race. :cheers:

Yeah, I wonder if that's my problem: totally wring it out for four or five miles, then I have to rest ten minutes! Maybe I just need to learn pacing. And endurance training is just impossible to me. With my work schedule and new baby, I'm lucky if I get to ride twice in a month, and that's usually a slog at Walker.

I was in the second wave, about 3/4 around the course a young guy on a blue yamaha tried to pick up the pace and pass me on my right from about ten feet to my side, just as he inched by me he went over the bars big time. right were the helicopter was parked with first aid standing there watching it happen. Hope he was ok, no point in stopping as he had good people right there. Super fun race except that stupid bottle neck section along side the railroad tracks.

Question were can I find a link to were the race results are posted?

Great times, great friends, great weather, great race. Thanks to the Stumpies.

How did you do! I thought I seen you come in on the first lap around 80th or so?

He was VERY lucky. His home with no major problems just very sore:thumbsup:

Glad to hear!

How did you do! I thought I seen you come in on the first lap around 80th or so?

I haven't seen the results yet. Had a good ride. Didn't get the best start, but worked thru the chaos. Saw the kid go into the river, but he saved his bike, only he went in. Guy in front of me stopped to help, I motored on by. I suspect that started a major choke. Somewhere out in the new single track section, I went for a pass on a YZ rider, and suddenly he was in front of me perpendicular to the trail. I hit him broadside at about 40mph, throttle on. My bike cartwheeled over the top and I landed in a heep. The YZ rider was asking if I was ok, said "yeah, think so...how are you?" I coulda swore I broke his leg. He told me the "lord was looking out for him on this one". Ended up breaking the headlight assembly and the odo computer stopped working.

Got back to pits at the 1/2 way mark and it was empty. A bottle of Boston Lager and a shot of vodka, gas and go. Relatively uneventful 2nd lap, just more rocks...only got passed by a few at the last check. I needed some water, so I watched as a few riders got by that I didn't get back. Overall good race I thought.

I wanna thank Travis at TBT...he's the man. Did my suspension 3yrs ago...all I do is change the oil. :cheers:

BTW, the Pirelli Mt43 at 11lbs took everything Odessa could throw at it...at high speed. Not the best performing tire in some stuff, but excels in others. I'm impressed.

... Somewhere out in the new single track section...

So, how did you like that new section?

I might as well slip my ride report into this thread. I got up at 5:30 Saturday morning, got dressed, started the truck and left Quincy for Odessa. I arrived at the Desert 100 site at about 7:15 a.m.. Found a place to park my truck, about as far away from the registration area as you could get, and unloaded my bike, started it and put on my riding gear. It was now after 8:00 a.m..

I rode over to the registration area and signed my life away on the waver table.

1247625539_MPbAe-XL.jpg

I then got in line to pay my fee to ride the Iron Man Poker Run.

1247625536_bZBTc-XL.jpg

This girl was on her phone probably texting with a boy and seemed pretty oblivious to her surroundings:

1247625542_eV9gJ-XL.jpg

I hooked up with Bill and several other riding buddies. We became separated during the first lap and never really saw much of each other after that. Here is the entrance onto the course:

1247625584_RCUfR-XL.jpg

Here are a couple shots from the first two check points:

1247625587_FkpzV-XL.jpg

1247625590_CJ4qV-XL.jpg

Here is the cool hill the Stumpies threw into the mix this year. It is a bit steeper than the pictures appear. There was an alternate route available to those intimidated by this hill, which had signs guiding you back onto the Iron Man course. I went down the hill on the first lap and then took the alternate route because a fellow was bulldogging it down the hill blocking the route. Also there were waves of guys going down around this kid. I don't like riding in a crowd in that situation. So like I said on the second lap I took the alternate and guess what. The alternate was simply the old Iron Man course of past years:

1247625623_FRcKL-XL.jpg

1247625618_z8VTE-XL.jpg

Finally I arrived at the hotdog stand, parked the bike, went over to the stand to get a drink and they ran out of cups as I got to the counter. I looked over at the line that had formed for Hot dogs and decided I wasn't going to wait around. I walked back to my bike, took a few pictures got back on the course. Here are a few pictures at the hotdog stand:

1247625624_xvrrj-XL.jpg

1247625650_qz8vS-XL.jpg

1247625654_6TZhR-XL.jpg

As I was finishing the first lap (it may of been the second) I noticed some guys heavy into conversation off in the distance and decided it would make a nice picture:

1247625656_kX4eo-XL.jpg

During the second lap I thought I would be free of the crowds and dust. Not so, wave after wave of pre-run folks were passing me and I think a couple even tried to roost me (how rude :ride:). So I pulled over onto a grassy area where a few other had the same idea. I took this opportunity to do my part in keeping the dust down by watering some nearby shrubs (that's OK guys no need to thank me).

1247625693_dF9Vy-XL.jpg

1247625709_jrMxz-XL.jpg

As I was standing around so proud of myself for doing my part in keeping the desert green, I looked up in the air and spotted a possible terrorist spying on us. I was sure it might be a WTA inside man. So I took pictures as proof of the dastardly act.

1247625673_j4aYq-XL.jpg

1247625679_zxUMR-XL.jpg

1247625684_qzW3W-XL.jpg

I didn't take any more pictures although the mud at the stream crossing would have made some great shots. A few alternate hill climbs that the Stumpies threw in to make things interesting also were worthy of consideration. This was one of the more dusty Iron Mans to date. There were times when I could not see my handlebars. It was a short course but one of the best designed yet. Great Job Stumpies :cheers:

Edited by Old_Man_Time

So, how did you like that new section?

Awesome stuff. Hard to pass without parking somebody in the weeds. Some big bramble out there. (believe me, I was about to on one guy, until he did it to himself)

Everytime I saw you this weekend, you seemed BUSY! Thanks for all you do :cheers:

BaddAndy,

We did the same thing, rode up the steep hill to only find out that we were to go down it. I almost made it to the top, hit a rock and then dumped it. I guess that is what we get for being in the top 15 to start.

Awesome stuff. Hard to pass without parking somebody in the weeds. Some big bramble out there. (believe me, I was about to on one guy, until he did it to himself)

Everytime I saw you this weekend, you seemed BUSY! Thanks for all you do :ride:

The sage brush are really mini trees out there. Burning it in this past week, I lost how many times my foot got ripped off the pegs or bike shifted into another gear. Jasonlion54 and robr54 did most of the trail burning in all last week.

The busy guys were sjmc_don and wiz636. I got to ride my bike :cheers: