Yet Another Help Me With My Carb Problem Thread

Hi folks,

My 2006 DRZ-400S was running great until I let it sit for way too long (sound familiar?). Carbs got gummed up. Petcock was shot.

I dumped the old gas, cleaned the tank well, installed a brand new petcock. I also pulled the carb, took it apart and cleaned all the jets, passages, etc. I pulled the TPS off, but didn't note the orientation on reinstallation.

Bike starts now and idles smoothly. It revs high with the choke, but it did that before. It will rev slightly when the throttle is cracked a few degrees, but as soon as I open the throttle more than a bit, it bogs and then revs, bogs, revs, etc.

Where do I go from here? What did I miss? Is the TPS an issue? I tried running it with the TPS removed also and it didn't make any difference.

Thanks for any and all help!

Not a TPS issue. Something wrong with the slide or diaphragm. Cut or cracked or misplaced in the groove. Big vacuum leak. The little "O" ring missing. Needle not restrained to the slide.........

Didn't see any cracks in the diaphram. Definitely put the little o-ring back in. When you say needle restrained, what do you mean?

Is it possible I routed the non-fuel hose from the petcock incorrectly?

Thanks!

The bouncing RPM mean it is very lean. Starved for fuel or a big air leak.

The needle needs to be secured to the slide with the retaining clip. Some times the retainer fingers in the slide will break

The bouncing RPM mean it is very lean. Starved for fuel or a big air leak.

The needle needs to be secured to the slide with the retaining clip. Some times the retainer fingers in the slide will break

Thanks again Noble.

The needle was secured, but had some play or wiggle, which I think is normal?

Looks like I'll have to pull the carb again! What a pain that is. Actually, the pulling was OK, it was the putting that had me growling.

you may have swapped the position of the main and starter jets.

Eddie. That's a very good point that I thought about and will check. I was very careful and checked the fiche to make sure I was putting them back correctly. Anyone have a what goes where diagram that is simpler than straining my eyes at the fiche?

If you are pulling it off anyway, why not install the JD kit, extended fuel screw and do the 3x3 mod? It will put a smile on your face:banana:

I've got the extended fuel screw and 3x3 done already. Will have to look into the JD kit.

Thanks!