XR250Y won't bloody start !!!

I'm currently on a cattle station 1/2 way up Cape York, and have the task of getting this piece of crap to run. It's the "soft" XR from Honda, Electric start, steel tank etc.

I have spark, cleaned carby and filled tank with clean fuel, battery is stuffed so am using jumper leads from car to try to get it to go. Air filter cleaned ( side stand switch is disabled). Just won't even fire, even with Aerostart !!

Does anyone have any ideas, and does anyone have a manual as a pdf file that I can obtain to check settings etc. Might have to check valves. Has done 20,000klm, all farm work and maybe subjected to abuse.

All suggestion gratefully accepted.

Thks

You don't state what year model. But this .pdf manual might help.

http://www.flightoftheplatypus.net/2006/09/honda-xr250r-shop-manual-1996-2004.html

If it has a side stand safety switch, does it also have a clutch lever safety switch? Or a neutral safety switch? Recheck your side stand bypass and for other loose/corroded safety switch wiring and connectors.

Are you getting spark at the plug? Check for a loose plug cap. Check/clean frame ground points for the wiring and coil.

Check the stop/kill switch operation.

Yes, definately check/set the valves.

Thanks TR. Got the manual. Mine's a Y model, but i presumed the valve settings would be the same. My carb is different.

Haven't checked the kill switches etc, as I have a good spark already.

I have an XR4 of my own, and have done valves before on that one. I am having a hard time confirming that I have TDC on the COMPRESSION STROKE. I have it where I believe it to be on the compression TDC, and the exhaust rocker has movement, but the inlet is firm.

I got my wife to put a finger in the spark plug hole, ( didn't that take some talking) and we get the pressure build up, but it comes just before I get to the F and then the T mark. Is this normal?

Thks again TR. I rotated crank until i saw the Inlets closing, then continued until the T mark. Checked and adjusted ( inlets were closed right up).

Now going to check timing while it's apart and then re-assemble and see what happens.

If no go, I intend to beat it viciously with a large, knobby piece of wood, kick the remains, and burn the bastard !!!!

Thks