Sign in to follow this  

Which CR250R do I have?

Hey

Just wondering which CR250R I have (year model)

1hyy3t.jpg

the VIN is

JH2MEO3UIXMO - - 469 (the two dashes are were the numbers/letters are impossible to read.

The engine number is:

Also I need to rebuild the bottom end, I've found Wiseco on the web, are they any good? Also is it a good idea to get a wiseco piston aswell?

edit: the service book I got with it was published in 1998, but I realise that it doesn't necessarily mean this bike is from 1998

Edited by clevermetal

10th Character tells you the year. X=99.

I have a 99 also and the seat, tank and plastics are the same as mine.

Great bike! Looks nice and original as well.

Cheers for the reply

isn't 'X' = 10 though? not 99? I'd assume it was standard Roman Numeral's..

edit: I just need to know for certain whether it's between 1992-1996, 1997-2001, 2002-2004 or 2005-2007 so I can get the rebuild kit.

Cheers for the reply

isn't 'X' = 10 though? not 99? I'd assume it was standard Roman Numeral's..

edit: I just need to know for certain whether it's between 1992-1996, 1997-2001, 2002-2004 or 2005-2007 so I can get the rebuild kit.

it not using roman numerals. its a vin number, standard 17 digit number/letter group. if they used roman numerals, you wouldnt be able to make it a standard vin number.

Hey, check for the official Honda engine stamp on the cylinder with these roman numerals: MCMXCVIIII = 1999 :thumbsup::smirk:

But seriously, that's a 99', I have one too. Wiseco is probably the most popular choice of Piston. I run one with no problems. Enjoy the bike!

First gen Aluminum frame for the 250 is 97-99, Gen 2 00-01, Gen 3 02-07. 125's started in 98, but follow the same generational time line.

Although I've not used Wiseco on this application so not in a position to make a direct comparison I would also use OEM.

I've just done a load of work on mine: new right crank case, all engine seals and bearings, piston, 75% of gearbox, linkage bearings, swing arm bearings etc. etc. Mine's totally original bodywork also. I'll post a few pics in a day or so when it's all back together.

Do you have the side plastics? They are still available from honda. I love these older bikes when they are totally original. Only non-original bit on mine is the exhaust - i just need to convince myself to drop $300 on an original honda header.

Guaranteed 97-01. Looks like 99 or 2000.

Edit- Just read the post...What craigs449 said...........bottom end=oem top end=wiseco, or pro x

Looks like 99 or 2000.

Not sure what visual similarities these two bikes have that could make you think one or the other, other than an aluminum frame. I could see if we were wondering between 00 and 01, but not a Gen 1 from a Gen 2.

First gen Aluminum frame for the 250 is 97-99, Gen 2 00-01, Gen 3 02-07. 125's started in 98, but follow the same generational time line.

My mistake....keep forgetting that they changed it for 00-01:bonk:

epic, cheers for the replies guys. Have there been bad experiences with wiseco bottom ends that caused all the distrust in them?

How sturdy are the transmissions on these things? Should i be looking at replacing that as well?

Sorry i'm a bit of a newb when it comes to offroad bikes.

epic, cheers for the replies guys. Have there been bad experiences with wiseco bottom ends that caused all the distrust in them?

How sturdy are the transmissions on these things? Should i be looking at replacing that as well?

Sorry i'm a bit of a newb when it comes to offroad bikes.

at least on the 97-01 bottem end kits there seemed to be. I, as well as some others have had the right side crank snout be machined too long causing the collar and gear to not sit properly. this causes a trans leak into the crankcases.

when i told wiseco about this they offered me a new bottem end kit however i had already ground down the snout to make it work properly.

i wouldnt go replacing any trans parts unless you got problems. those gears can add up QUICK. they are pretty darn sturdy, i wouldnt worry about them.

that doesn't sound good... were they going to supply you with a corrected bottom end or just another defective one?

How much is an OEM bottom end?

I hadn't planned to replace any transmission as it was performing perfectly, but when I replaced the right crankcase I checked everything and found a few nicks, burrs and some wear on the dogs. Couldn't bring myself to put it back together like that and ended up replacing most of the gears. I plan to keep the bike for the foreseeable future so not too concerned about cost.