Best Dual-Sport Bike(or, Best 50/50 Dual-Sport)?

I do not think the ktm's in supermotard trim suck on the street, and swapping back and forth is not very hard
EXC is pretty much the smoothest street bike I've ever ridden. Put heated grips, hid lights, gps, sm wheels, long enough gearing (but not too long) and rejet if necessary. It will cruise 60mph very effortlessly, go anywhere, fuel consumption is 4-5L/100km, plenty of power, pretty comfortable once you get used to it and if you dont there are after market seats. I honestly can not imagine a better small all around street bike. If you need protection from wind then you need to look somewhere else, get a small removable windshield, or go slower. I don't mind the last one because I look for the smaller roads anyway.

Swapping wheels is very easy if brake disks and sprockets are the same size. Grease the spindles and they come out without any effort and swapping is a five minute job. And you can use different size sprockets if you want, just turn the spindle around and there is 2-3 tooth difference. Although I don't think different gearing is needed.

I've also learned that a similar bike with light sx crank, minimal flywheel, big carb, sx cdi and so on is the most uncomfortable bike there is. RFS is a fantastic engine because it can be built to be anything from comfortable commuter to very aggressive racer. Although benefits of the latter are questionable because it's just harder to control unless you want to wheelie all the time and not really faster except maybe in mx. xc4 in 530 is a good compromise, it's very smooth, powerful and fun, but it lacks different configurations because it's only sold as exc.

I do not think the ktm's in supermotard trim suck on the street, and swapping back and forth is not very hard

I agree that a tard is fun on the street, but i guess it depends on what your idea of street riding is. A tard is not meant for extended periods. The other downfall is once you start jacking with gearing, wind protection, lights, storage and the other street things you have a bike that takes forever to convert back over to dirt friendly.

Hmmm, im still not sure as of what I am going to do yet. I just got my permit and am going to take a Motorcycle Safety Course before I get anything. In the meantime I am just doing a lot of research.

At this point, if I do get a dual sport it would probably be the 2008 Kawasaki KLR650, and probably get twos sets of tires, one for street, one for dirt.

The thing that sucks about getting two bikes is that I would have to pay insurance on two bikes(correct me if im wrong here). The dirt oriented bike will still have to be road legal since I dont have anyway to transport it to trails, hence I will have to street ride it to wherever I am going to dirt ride.

Anyways, thanks for the input fellas, and I will keep checking back periodically and let you know what I eventually decide to get. ?

Good on 'ya for doing the MSF course :confused: Take the advanced course too ... it's awesome ... even for experienced riders!

If you can hook up with some owners in your area ... maybe they will let you do some test rides (after your MSF class of course!! ?)

The KLR is a great bike at a great price. So is the DR650 (which is the bike I have) It's also a very good bike. Mine's done nearly 40K miles now, ridden to Baja twice, Moab (from SF Bay area) and back, and lots more.

The KTM's, Huskies and BMW's are all good too ... bit more money and trickier maintenance. More expensive parts and support too. The KTM's and Huskies are better off road ... the KLR, DR650 and Honda XR650L are better ON Road bikes.

(very generally speaking of course)

Do you mean owners of MSF courses or owners of bike shops?

And also I woulod rather get a BMW F650GS but they are out of my price range, so the KLR it would be if I got a dualie.

Neither ... I mean members on this forum or on other KLR or DR650 forums.

Thousands of members everywhere. If you have taken the MSF course and know how to ride .... then there is a good chance someone in your community who owns one of these bikes might let you try theirs out. Dealers? No way.

MSF provides a little 250 Rebel or something for the class. Your bike stays at home.

Oh ok lol. I was wondering why I couldnt understand your suggestion haha. I will certainly try to get in touch with some people after I am done with the course, thanks!

I'm thinking a DRZ400S is closer to a 50/50 bike than the KLR650. Nothing wrong with KLR's, but that's a pretty big bike for trail riding. Would be very nice on fire roads and the like, I'm sure. Heck, I'm sure there are plenty of guys who can ride the wheels off of those things on tight technical trails, but I'd wager that those are exeptional riders.

the klr's dont like being jumped, I've got a bunch of helmetcam of my buddy trying, lots of crashing, on one trail he hit a waterbreak and when he landed it stripped the footpeg bolts out of the frame

Ive had my DRZ400S now for about a year....and use it to go where I want... when I want...how I want...lol...I have numerous fire trails and mixed surface sand/gravel/tarmac routes I take to work/play....I have a dedicated KLX300R for off road only days....but the DRZ is an absolute joy for mixed duty riding.....I've rejetted the carb and added a pipe to it for an extra bump in power. I dont need a fast bike...but it gets out of its own way quite nicely!...I have rode with both dirt and street setup on this bike(SM Wheels/tires) and can honestly say the bike just eats up what ever you throw at it!....its not a MX bike....but its not a cruiser....its exactly what it says it is...DUAL SPORT. 50/50 is where this bike shines!!!...If you are looking for an affordable quality dual sport ride...dont overlook the DRZ400S...I LOVE mine!

d78ef061.jpg

SM Trim...

DRZ400.jpg

I agree. For a newer rider the DRZ is a great choice. Much much easier to manage off road ... and really not too bad on road if you are not planning super long road rides. Excellent bike. (Yes, I owned one)

The DRZ will be far less intimidating than a KLR off road ... and it will crash better and be cheaper to repair. Both bikes have great aftermarket support.

The DRZ is probably 100 lbs. lighter weight than a KLR. The KLR is a better travel bike or commuter ... but the DRZ400S wins just about everyplace else.?

I'm thinking a DRZ400S is closer to a 50/50 bike than the KLR650. Nothing wrong with KLR's, but that's a pretty big bike for trail riding. Would be very nice on fire roads and the like, I'm sure. Heck, I'm sure there are plenty of guys who can ride the wheels off of those things on tight technical trails, but I'd wager that those are exeptional riders.

The more I read... the more maddening it gets!

Klx250s? WR250r? DRZ400?

I ride off road, 98 GASGAS ec250, 85 rm250. In Pa. From coal country to slippery mountain goat trails. Now I want to Dual Sport.

Have the money to buy any of the above bikes new...yet don't want to scratch up a shiney new toy. Can't find anything used since gas hit $4.

I know the answers I would get. "Want great gas mileage you 50/50 rider?" get the KLX. "Want to take on some more challenging course options and still get decent gas mileage?" Get the WR. " Can you sacrifice some gas mileage, and handle a little more wrestling the bike up tight spots??" Get the DRZ400...

Aaaggggghhh..... the choices. It's all up to me, I know. But I'm reluctant to buy a new one, even though I can afford it. Dumping it will just drive me nuts.

Looking for a used DS in S Central Pa... and can't find them. Everybody seems to be holding on to them.

I'll end up sitting out the Dual Sport events this summer, drive my gas guzzler to work, and end up off road riding for another year.

What I need is XANAX...

The more I read... the more maddening it gets!

Klx250s? WR250r? DRZ400?

I ride off road, 98 GASGAS ec250, 85 rm250. In Pa. From coal country to slippery mountain goat trails. Now I want to Dual Sport.

Have the money to buy any of the above bikes new...yet don't want to scratch up a shiney new toy. Can't find anything used since gas hit $4.

I know the answers I would get. "Want great gas mileage you 50/50 rider?" get the KLX. "Want to take on some more challenging course options and still get decent gas mileage?" Get the WR. " Can you sacrifice some gas mileage, and handle a little more wrestling the bike up tight spots??" Get the DRZ400...

Aaaggggghhh..... the choices. It's all up to me, I know. But I'm reluctant to buy a new one, even though I can afford it. Dumping it will just drive me nuts.

Looking for a used DS in S Central Pa... and can't find them. Everybody seems to be holding on to them.

I'll end up sitting out the Dual Sport events this summer, drive my gas guzzler to work, and end up off road riding for another year.

What I need is XANAX...

do you look on craigslist?

http://oneonta.craigslist.org/mcy/2297725506.html

Isnt the link I gave you in Pa??

I believe it is NY, near Albany. That's pretty far....

But I like the bike, and you nailed it as far as something I should look at.

But it would be about a 5hr drive.

If I can be patient...I can find one closer.

But srsly, I appreciate the help.