anyone have problems with an 03 crf450?

Hi, im about to buy an 03 crf450 and i wanted to know if there problems that people had with them. i know that 06 crf450's have gearing problems and i wanted know if 03's had any problems. thanks

I have one ,bought new in 02....and still own it. I know of 2 others I race with, that have an 02 & 03 .

The valves go out at about the same amount of hours. Other than that .....none of the 3 have had the cranks replaced ....or any other major repairs.

Mine has around 120 hours or so....1st valve job at 70-80.....next at 110.....after that I went with Ron Hamp and his ferrea valves....no problems since...of course the other 2 were OEM.

I also went through a set of clutch plates....but basket is still good.

Nice solid bike......In hindsite , I should have sold it after about 12 months....Once the 05's came out the re-sale value dropped quite a bit.....with after market parts / and stuff , I just couldn't ever stomach the money I was going to lose......so that is why I still have it.

I am on a 2 stroke now, 450 is just for fun riding.

good luck on your buy.

Under good maintnence it is a good bike

The auto cam chain tentioner on them stock is not good

clutch baskets were out (not abnormal)

Valves wear out (faster when air filter not cleaned properly/ or when bike is overheated)

If you dont do proper maintnence more severe things will happen...