Yep, another tire thread!

Due to the scorching, dry summer we have had over here in SW Oz, my bike has been pulled down for her summer make over getting ready for the winter. It would have been easily 6 months of no riding for me (Sept-April) and to get her back together again with a brand new tire just releases a whole heap of endorphins with every twist of the throttle.

The definition of love: A brand spanking new knobby, dot approved as well, for the 650R.

Michelin AC10 120/18 to replace the worn out Pirelli MT21. It's a blast to convert a twist of the throttle into forward momentum at last instead of sideways movement from the MT21 and that AC10 looks very impressive sitting in the swing arm.

Don't get me wrong, a slide here and there can be fun but with a brand new knobby, my new LV headers & Flow muffler to compliment the rest of the motor mods, this girl of mine has some serious grin factor.

I was really close to getting the Pirelli XCMH but they didn't have a shoe the right size for my lady so I got the AC10 instead.

Michelin are a little funny with they're sizing, the 120 fits OK, but I reckon I could have gone bigger again.

Just waiting on the XR's only side cover cut-outs and back fire screen, a little jetting tweak and then it's game on ?:thumbsup::cheers:

Due to the scorching, dry summer we have had over here in SW Oz, my bike has been pulled down for her summer make over getting ready for the winter. It would have been easily 6 months of no riding for me (Sept-April) and to get her back together again with a brand new tire just releases a whole heap of endorphins with every twist of the throttle.

The definition of love: A brand spanking new knobby, dot approved as well, for the 650R.

Michelin AC10 120/18 to replace the worn out Pirelli MT21. It's a blast to convert a twist of the throttle into forward momentum at last instead of sideways movement from the MT21 and that AC10 looks very impressive sitting in the swing arm.

Don't get me wrong, a slide here and there can be fun but with a brand new knobby, my new LV headers & Flow muffler to compliment the rest of the motor mods, this girl of mine has some serious grin factor.

I was really close to getting the Pirelli XCMH but they didn't have a shoe the right size for my lady so I got the AC10 instead.

Michelin are a little funny with they're sizing, the 120 fits OK, but I reckon I could have gone bigger again.

Just waiting on the XR's only side cover cut-outs and back fire screen, a little jetting tweak and then it's game on :cheers:?:bonk:

No piccy? Also remember the sizing with a DOT tyre is always going to be smaller then a full blown dirt tyre due to the road handling characteristics ?

Let me chime in on this subject being that I think I found a tire that I may NEVER go away from and that is the IRC M5B in size 140/80-18. Very good tire for just about any terrain, especially the wet stuff we get here in the northwest! And if they made a 150/80-18 I would have it. But nonetheless a great tire for the PIG!

?

Let me chime in on this subject being that I think I found a tire that I may NEVER go away from and that is the IRC M5B in size 140/80-18. Very good tire for just about any terrain, especially the wet stuff we get here in the northwest! And if they made a 150/80-18 I would have it. But nonetheless a great tire for the PIG!

?

That's a nice looking tire, but is it DOT legal?

From my digging around I narrowed it down to the Pirelli XCMH or the Michelin AC10.

If they had the XCMH in the right size I would have got one, looks a nice tire and firmer than the AC10

You could have easily ran the XCMH. The slight difference really doesn't matter much. I doubt you could even tell the difference.

Actually after looking it up the tires both the XCMH and the AC10 are only available in one size and they are the same at 80/100-21. At least that's what I found here in the states.

I'm running the Pirelli MT43 DOT rear that is a trials type and I'm sold on it. The traction is amazing and it's lasting forever.

You could have easily ran the XCMH. The slight difference really doesn't matter much. I doubt you could even tell the difference.

Actually after looking it up the tires both the XCMH and the AC10 are only available in one size and they are the same at 80/100-21. At least that's what I found here in the states.

I'm running the Pirelli MT43 DOT rear that is a trials type and I'm sold on it. The traction is amazing and it's lasting forever.

Is there only one size of that tire? All I can Find is 4.00-18

?

Sorry Cleonard, I'm not sure I catch your angle but I should also clarify that the shop didn't carry the complete range in various sizes, it's just that when I went to see them, all they had was a single XCMH in about a 110, and two AC10's in a 110 and a 120.

If I ordered one in I would have to wait a day or so.

I think Carl was talking about a front tire with those 80-100-21 dimensions. XCMH Scorpion is a very popular front tire with desert riders here in Cali, my favorite front tire, good grip in all conditions, able to withstand sharp rocky areas, and if you are plated -DOT approved.

?

Sorry Cleonard, I'm not sure I catch your angle but I should also clarify that the shop didn't carry the complete range in various sizes, it's just that when I went to see them, all they had was a single XCMH in about a 110, and two AC10's in a 110 and a 120.

If I ordered one in I would have to wait a day or so.

I think Carl was talking about a front tire with those 80-100-21 dimensions. XCMH Scorpion is a very popular front tire with desert riders here in Cali, my favorite front tire, good grip in all conditions, able to withstand sharp rocky areas, and if you are plated -DOT approved.

Yes I thought you were talking about front tire. I just installed a new XCMH front on my bike and that might have also directed my reasoning so to say.

While the XCMH is a bit different is size for the rear it will work fine. Same for the MT43 that is only available in 4.00-18. Yes the MT43 is a bit narrower and a bit taller, but the traction is amazing. In my experience as far as fitting a bike a range of sizes will fit. The tread design and rubber formulation is more important. There are limits. I wouldn't go with anything narrower than 110 on out bikes. Well except for the 4.00-18 MT43. One thing you will find is that the widths kind of vary between the manufacturers. A 120 width Maxxis is almost exactly the same width as a 110 Dunlop for example. Some of the manufacturers list exact sizes on their websites, but some don't. All I'm saying is don't necessarily limit yourself to one particular size.

One time when I was going for a week long ride and my tire had to be replaced the shop only had a 100/100-18 Dunlop 756. My tire was so bad I had to go for it even though it was really too small. I had no time to go somewhere else. The tire actually preformed great.

There's been a lot of talk of guys running trials tires but I just can't get my head around it.

Will that tread pattern suit me in my terrain? Rocks, gravel, hard pack clay? When the clay gets wet it's slippery as snails in a bucket of snot, but does not go to deep mud.

How do they go on hills with rock & clay?