DRZ 400 S Petcock fix - cheap & easy

I have struggled with a leaking petcock and went with the Yamaha WR400 petcock with an off but did not like having to always remember to turn my gas off. I took my petcock to my local Yamaha dealer (Roseville Yamaha) who is fantastic. The parts manager, Josh, took the time to figure out what Yamaha parts would work. For less than $10 (your prices may vary depending on dealer) I had the 2 gaskets (1 - smiley face and 1 big rubber o-ring) that go into the petcock. The two Yamaha part numbers are - 3AJ-24534-01 and 3AC-24523-00. The DRZ petcock no longer seeps gas. It works as it should. Easy fix without removing the petcock from the bike. I am going to start replacing these every couple years. Cheap insurance. ?

Edited by pschiess
  • Like 4

Yes it is the same vacuum petcock as before. I just found the parts that Suzuki does not sell to replace the ones that are in the front of the petcock. You just take the 2 phillips head bolts out of the front on both sides of the face plate then remove the face plate. Under it and on top of the turn valve is a metal spring washer then the turn valve. Pull both out together. Under the turn valve is a rubber o-ring and the "smiley face" gasket. Pull both of those out and replace with the Yamaha parts and reassemble. On the back side of the petcock (now you need to remove the petcock from the tank) is a plate held on by 5 phillips head bolts. Under it is the diaphragm. I have not found a replacement for it yet. If it needs replacing there may be a part out there but I did not need it so did not look. Suzuki does not sell any part individually. But Yamaha does. It just took a very persistent parts person to do the comparing.

• Like 1

great info!!

I took mine off and cleaned the diaphrams and seals a couple of times, and it fixed it, but I didn't trust it so went with the wr petcock. I have trained myself to turn it off and have only forgotten a couple of times, and then only for a few minutes. Remembering to turn it back on is another matter...?

But Yamaha does. It just took a very persistent parts person to do the comparing.

^ what robb said. "my" very persistent parts person, saved me lots of $, sadly for me he retired.

pschiess, TT member from 2k? wow! I thought PC's ran out of time then:ride:

When you say metric "O" ring are you talking the o-ring on the front (lever) side of the carb? That was one of the 2 parts I listed above. If your diaphragm in the back side (underneath the backing plate held on by 5 phillips head bolts) is bad I have not found a replacement part for that yet.

Slowriding is talking about the "O" ring that is attached to the diaphragm (actually diaphragms, as there are two). It deforms over time, taking on a conical shape and eventually will fail to "automatically" shut your fuel supply off.

If the vacuum part is not shutting off properly (still drips gas when bike is not running) try replacing the metric O-ring which is 4mm ID x 2mm thick.

Any suggestions as to where to find a metric o-ring of those dimension? We might be close to solving the entire set of DRZ "S" petcock problems.?