Sign in to follow this  

Idaho NW pics in Dirt rider

It does resemble a switch back as you drop down to Boiling lake in Washingtons Sawtooth and kinda like a switch back on one of the trails in the Lake Wenatchee area just below the old fire lookout station. But it only looks similar, I think.

It does resemble a switch back as you drop down to Boiling lake in Washingtons Sawtooth and kinda like a switch back on one of the trails in the Lake Wenatchee area just below the old fire lookout station. But it only looks similar, I think.

This is Foggy Dew last summer. That is me in yellow. I committed the turn and immediately got on the rear brake. A little pucker factor was going on...

981762624_NzPBD-M.jpg

mx813 what tires are you running there?

Anyway those trails look great anyone ride the hairy trails outside of randle, Wa the goat trails way way up in the hills?

mx813 what tires are you running there?

Anyway those trails look great anyone ride the hairy trails outside of randle, Wa the goat trails way way up in the hills?

Pretty sure I have the S12 up front...rear, I think I had the Desert IT on... looked at my tire stack in the garage and that is what matches.

Looks scary from a distance but is not...

1007626735_kUyep-L.jpg

Will hit this one this year...

1007627297_9PEDW-L.jpg

lots of switchback in the cascades.

1007140827_o52uS-L-1.jpg

1007155904_pd4mG-L.jpg

If anyone wants a real nasty, spend 3 hours going 3 miles over endless steep switchbacks let me know, I got just the place for you and it hardly ever gets ridden / needs ridden. Don't think i will do that trail again. (not pictured here)

1007626735_kUyep-L.jpg

1007627297_9PEDW-L.jpg

lots of switchback in the cascades.

1007140827_o52uS-L-1.jpg

1007155904_pd4mG-L.jpg

If anyone wants a real nasty, spend 3 hours going 3 miles over endless steep switchbacks let me know, I got just the place for you and it hardly ever gets ridden / needs ridden. Don't think i will do that trail again. (not pictured here)

If it's anything like West Fork Teanaway River count me out. Steep with sheer drop offs is fine but I need a 36" wide tread at least. :thumbsup:

If it's anything like West Fork Teanaway River count me out. Steep with sheer drop offs is fine but I need a 36" wide tread at least. :thumbsup:

You need a sidewalk width?

This is Foggy Dew last summer. That is me in yellow. I committed the turn and immediately got on the rear brake. A little pucker factor was going on...

981762624_NzPBD-M.jpg

That one is much easier going up vs. down. :thumbsup:

Sorry if they're a big foggy. :thumbsup:

foggyswitchback.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

PICT0070.jpg

You need a sidewalk width?

No, 12" is fine for tire but need space to walk beside bike. Trail I mentioned doesn't provide that. It can be a bank obviously not part of the tread "flat" width. I rode it and was happy to be done with it. It's prolly a psychological thing. I'm sure if I rode it more than 3X it'd get better. :thumbsup:

as charlz notes, the switchback pis is thumpergirl's, but it's a cool pic and I have posted it before (and hopefully remembered to attribute it to her). I guess it's somewhere near driggs, from a state ride a few years ago. The cliff pic is mine. That's our club's public lands director, riding with a chainsaw strapped to the back of his 400, cuz we did a bunch of trailclearing earlier in the day.

We had another club member get a water-crossing pic published too.

frisbie_cliff2.jpg

1007627297_9PEDW-L.jpg

Pretty sure Devils Staircase is closed to bikes...granola munchers only. Look at the maps that I gave you to see if it reflects that. The turn-off to that is on the left in that nice green valley on the way to the first picture you posted.

Heading over there end of July again:thumbsup:

Pretty sure Devils Staircase is closed to bikes...granola munchers only. Look at the maps that I gave you to see if it reflects that. The turn-off to that is on the left in that nice green valley on the way to the first picture you posted.

Heading over there end of July again:thumbsup:

It shows as a bike trail if you hit it from the back side off the other foggy trail. Then shows it stopping right at the top of that peak. Will not ride it if legal. Love the area don't want to F it up for anyone.

Could someone please order up some warm weather so we can actually get to some of these areas before September?!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

horrible riding, too many rocks. Dont bother

An excellent point. Probably not worth the effort.

1007626735_kUyep-L.jpg

This is Deadman's pass. Safety Harbor trail (coming from the other side) is not really an 'easy' trail. It seems strange that someone who can handle Safety Harbor was unable to ride down Deadmans without skidding down the middle, what a bunch of dorks. Thank these guys when we get kicked off of the last 7,000 foot meadow trail in the state.....

1007627297_9PEDW-L.jpg

That's Devils Staircase, it's definitely not legal for motorized.

This is Deadman's pass. Safety Harbor trail (coming from the other side) is not really an 'easy' trail. It seems strange that someone who can handle Safety Harbor was unable to ride down Deadmans without skidding down the middle, what a bunch of dorks. Thank these guys when we get kicked off of the last 7,000 foot meadow trail in the state.....

huh? Skid down the middle?

That's Devils Staircase, it's definitely not legal for motorized.

did not know that, is does show up on some motorized trail maps but like I said if it is not motorized we will not ride it. Shows it as legal from the other Foggy trail to the summit but not that switchback you can see. Interesting.

Sure not looking to screw anything up there. :thumbsup:

huh? Skid down the middle?

I thought the same thing... while trails aren't too difficult, I just couldn't imagine skidding right now the middle. That is some steep stuff between switchback trails.

pound me in the goat!!! Who in the hell though it would be a good idea to have a trail out there. Any of you folks who would ride that or have ridden that are nuts.

I to think I ride that stuff on a street legal pig. Ran Foggy Dew on the old DR350 a few years back. I had no problems heading up at the wall at all.

Foggy%20Dew%202004%20(67).JPG?psid=1

Foggy%20Dew%202004%20(33).JPG?psid=1

So... any hints as to where the switchback really is? Just like to know so I don't drag some kids down it by mistake... Is it near Driggs? Big Holes?

Pm me if you don't want everyone to know, but, I would hate to get

someone in over their heads.... (ok, me included... :thumbsup:)