Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha is not supporting 2 Strokes

When you buy a new 2011 YZ125 or 250 they take that money and update there 4 strokes for the future. Why do you think Yamaha has not updated there 2 strokes in 5 years? I heard this from a friend but I don't know if its true but I thought I might spread the word

what would be the point of updating their 4 strokes if ppl are buying the 2 strokes,4's would just sit on the floor.Just seems a bit silly to me,they are going to go with what makes them money wether it be 4' or 2's.I say the more ppl who buys 2 strokes are determining the futher of the sport themselves and when sales drop for the others that have no 2 strokes then you will see their tactics change too.Its up to the people but it takes numbers and time,these are just my thoughts but I think it has some logic to it.

thats probably true and etuke

it would be smart because they dont have to make any changes to their bike and people will still buy them and then they can still compete in the shootouts and make more of the bikes that the pro's use, more people buy their four strokes then their 2 strokes and so it only makes sence that they advance their 4 strokes

When you buy a new 2011 YZ125 or 250 they take that money and update there 4 strokes for the future. Why do you think Yamaha has not updated there 2 strokes in 5 years? I heard this from a friend but I don't know if its true but I thought I might spread the word

Well first off, if you don't know if something is true, it's usually a good idea not to "spread the word".

Anyhow, part of what you say is true to some degree. To say Yamaha does not "support" 2 strokes doesn't make any sense. Of course they support them, because they are making them.

What I think you "heard" is that Yamaha is not spending money in R&D for the 2 stroke, which pretty much everybody knows since the bike has been essentially the same for last 10 years or so. That said, many (like to) believe Yamaha will have an updated 2 stroke model in the next couple of years. I sure hope so but we'll have to wait and see. At least Yamaha still makes the 2t unlike some of the others.

You are right and it does suck to keep paying more and more for the same thing. But, they do support the bike because they sell them. That beats Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki right there. The companies are in a mode now of selling fewer bikes for more money. This has happened before. Once they get stuck with non sold non current bikes, they all do this. Then the discounts start to flow, the economy starts to suck, then the warehouses stay full, then the cycle repeats again. Figure this happening ever 10-20 years. A new product will blow up. First it was dirt bikes, then three wheelers, then four, then side by sides.....who knows whats next.

If you check out this book, you can find out exactly what they are doing. http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Motorcycle-Wars-Industry-History/dp/0824833287/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Its more like a text-book than a story.

Look at this chart showing the value of the Yen to the American dollar.

http://www.advfn.com/p.php?pid=qkchart&symbol=FX^USDJPY

With that chart in mind, we're lucky the yz 250 is not 10,000. Development would only push the dollar figure up.

I think the plan now is to keep the doors open. They need a 250f thats fuel injected and several streetbikes. I believe the yz 250 is something making them money right now, so maybe were lucky to get that? With that idea in mind, who and the hell is going to spend money developing a motocross bike without a Professional series to race it in? KTM did, but they have built a company making bikes that were not in a class.

Do a search on "Yamaha PW50". Notice when it was introduced and when it received its last update.

But back to the yz 250. Imagine you are the guy who goes in front of the board asking for development money. Would you ask for the money to develop a new 250f engine, an r1 streetbike, or a model that has sold out for the last five years while going for near list price?

There has been little change and no innovation to the basic 2 stroke engine in decades. Its so simple why screw it up? We have better suspensions, carbs, some overall design improvements but the engine is virtually the same one, with a few tweaks, that was in my mid 80's YZ250.

As far as any conspiracy in Yamaha against the 2 strokes, lets just be happy they are still making them. If you want to talk conspiracy lets talk about why Yamaha and pretty much all manufacturers charge so much for parts when for some there are better after market options for a fraction of the price. Think it could be to encourage the practice of parting out bikes in perfect running order thus removing older bikes from the market?

Edited by ttugrad95

With the way the industry is playing out it is kinda true. But like stated they do support 2t more than the rest of the Japanese companies do, they still produce a bike. When the 4t bandwagon started up everyone buying the bikes went to that so the company put all of their researching efforts into developing and producing better 4t race bikes. All of "us", as consumers drove this change, we jumped onto the big bad 4t game and so the companies continued making the bikes that we "wanted" to buy. Now we are dang lucky that Yamaha keeps this model around to pleasure us with. Maybe they'll add some new higher tech suspension stuff to the bike but unless the 4t market takes a major hit from all of us as consumers 2t's will not be the big dog seller in the market. True the profit made off of the 2t does go to other areas in the company but that's to be expected.

Only the future will tell.

and back in the day when 2 strokes were the big deal, im sure the 4 stroke money was put into developing their 2 stroke and all you 2 smoke lovers were probably real happy then

Around here trying to find a YZ125 or 250 is almost impossible. They are allocated and usually sold before they hit the dealer floor. Finding a left over 09 250f is easy as pie usually in the 4200.00 range with 450's left over at around 4500.00 .getting a dealer to discount a blue two stroke is nearly impossible. My last two KTM two strokes came in at much less than my last Blue two stroke. Why would Yamaha worry about updating the bikes when every one they make sells. Go to one of the local XC races around here with a new backwards engine YZ450 and watch the yawns..........pull up and take a shiny new 2011 YZ250W out of the truck and a crowd gathers. Two strokes at least in the mid south have started to out number four strokes again. I guess I'm not seeing what a YZ250W needs updated? Maybe a nice sixth gear for the long grass track sections.

See I'd like some retro plastics make it look like glover or hannahs rides like a new camaro has

For now, I'd be happy to at least see some updated plastics. Just give it a more modern look and feel.

What would a modern dirt bike look like? Assuming the subject of this thread is correct any R&D innovations they come up with for the 4 strokes that isn't related to the engine could and would be used on the 2 strokes (to streamline manufacturing at the least). As far as looks, has there really been any updating on how ANY motorcycles look in the last decade, including streetbikes? Most innovation I see seems to be in the UTV / ATV area.

What would a modern dirt bike look like? Assuming the subject of this thread is correct any R&D innovations they come up with for the 4 strokes that isn't related to the engine could and would be used on the 2 strokes (to streamline manufacturing at the least). As far as looks, has there really been any updating on how ANY motorcycles look in the last decade, including streetbikes? Most innovation I see seems to be in the UTV / ATV area.

The side panels are still too big. At least make them look similar to the 09 or so 250f. Some of the KTM stuff has a cool look. I don't know really, just some tweaks to the basic design I guess.

The side panels are still too big. At least make them look similar to the 09 or so 250f. Some of the KTM stuff has a cool look. I don't know really, just some tweaks to the basic design I guess.

Sidepanels too big? Cut em

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818437

Really though, if all Yamaha did was update the plastics and nothing performance related, would you really be knocking down your dealer's front door to buy a new bike?

To the original poster - so we aren't supposed to buy two strokes since the money may or may not be used towards 4 stroke R&D? Boycotting two strokes isn't going to make Yamaha put 4 strokes on hold and develop a new smoker, it's just going to kill off two strokes.

yamaha can do whatever they want with the money but for sure they will put the best grips and updated plastics and some new swingarm links for sure

The next improvement for 2-strokes must be EFI and direct injected! It will allow the bikes to run much cleaner and much more efficiently and will be much more user friendly. It's not exactly difficult to change jetting but it can be kind of annoying to have to change it almost every ride in the northeastern USA climate. One day it will be 80-90 and the next it'll be 50.

I'd definitely buy a new blue 2-stroke if it had EFI. Otherwise, not much has changed since '99 or so... sure the 05-newer have aluminum frames, but big whoop. I guarantee i'm the same exact speed around a track on a steel framed bike.

Cool little video about Direct injected 2-strokes.

Sidepanels too big? Cut em

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818437

Really though, if all Yamaha did was update the plastics and nothing performance related, would you really be knocking down your dealer's front door to buy a new bike?

No it would not but it would be nice next time I'm looking new to have that option, I'm just saying that's the least they could do. I've already cut my side panels btw. :thumbsup:

I agree that EFI would be a huge step. It would also be nice if the two strokes could get some of the pull that the 4 strokes have without sacrificing anything from the way they run today. I don't know if that's possible. Seems like a lot of power is wasted on the 2 stroke.