Sign in to follow this  

sould i replace my helmet?

ok, i know these threads are posted often, but im a bit concerned. I spun out in a fast corner and smacked the back of my head pretty good. i had a headache for the rest of the day but i couldn't really see any damage. the helmet is a fox V1 pilot.

replace it. you have to. if your head hurts that bad then it probably already screwed it up and this crash finished it off. the helmet is gone

helmets even the expensive ones are good for exactly 1 crash. the foam inside only compresses once even if the liner looks normal, the foam underneath that is designed to absorb impact is hard as a rock.

Haha, not me. Ive crahed wit my vx pro a feeeeew times.Not a recomendation but a 400doll lid, replace after one crash.lol.NOT. Sure the COs would LOVE this one time deal though.

Haha, not me. Ive crahed wit my vx pro a feeeeew times.Not a recomendation but a 400doll lid, replace after one crash.lol.NOT. Sure the COs would LOVE this one time deal though.

I'm not sure what to think about this one...

I'm not sure what to think about this one...

Actually, in a sick way, it sort of explains its self :thumbsup:

What does a helmet cost?

What does a brain injury cost?

Replace the cheaper of the two.

helmets even the expensive ones are good for exactly 1 crash. the foam inside only compresses once even if the liner looks normal, the foam underneath that is designed to absorb impact is hard as a rock.

this. the shell may be fine but the impact foam on the inside is what cushions your skull, and it's one time use only.

thats why you buy a shoei. take a hit that is questionable you just sent it in the x-ray it tell you the condition and send it back. takes about a week

As much as you may hate it, replace it. You never know how bad the next head banger is going to be, it is best to be well protected.

Search the closeouts for previous year helmets, you can pick up something nice for half the price.

...and now you see the problem with expensive helmets. If you're stretching to buy it, then when you crash, you're way less likely to replace it. It doesn't matter if it's the nicest helmet you can buy, if you've wrecked hard in it, it's effectiveness is gone.

i had a fox helmet i had since i was like 12, wore it till 16, my god, i'd say 15+ crashes,

then my last one with that helmet, man o man.... when you dont wear gear you do crash, its funny how that is, any how i crashed, ripped off visor, cracked helmet shell, did a frontflip 3x he he, then the next summer i used it for that summer, THEN for winter bought me a Thor quadrant,

BUT like many say, if you have had a hard crash when your helmet has cracked, you will want to replace it, and replacing a helmet because you got a head ache after you crashed, well, i dont necesserily agree to that, many people from a simple fall over and bouncing there head get a head ache, ive had a bad crash where like i said, my helmet cracked, i did not have a head ache, just had a dead arm....

any impact hard enough to crack a helmet should be a automatic retirement. the problem is the foam that is designed to give in the crash....take a piece of rigid styrofoam and squish it under you knee......notice how it does not return to its normal shape? that is what is used to keep the shell of the hat from touchingyour head and to absorb the shock. now go kneel on that foam 3x more.......it is flat and worthless.......just like a used hat. you got your money out of it, call and see if they will reline it or go buy a new one and hope you have it on the next time you need it.

i agree.. if it were a shoei, arai, tld. thats differnt but a 150 V1 no ? go buy a new one

Not to be rude but incorrect. It doesn't matter how much the helmet cost, or what brand. An Arai, an Airoh, TLD, whatever $$$$ helmet you want is still designed for ONE CRASH ONLY. There's no magic protection in high dollar lids, just lighter (sometimes) materials, more features, etc.

Replace it now!

I'm with the guy who talked about closeouts. I have a giant head (2x in most brands) and still manage to comb the internet and find good deals on nice helmets.

I just got a Fly Trophy II for $50, $160 msrp. I also got a street helmet, HJC cl-sp for $66, again about a $170 msrp. Gotta do the work to find the deals and save money!

Also, if you find a real solid deal on a helmet that you love, why not buy two? We all crash eventually!