Sign in to follow this  

Is it okay to shift WOT?

I've gotten comfortable enough on my bike now that instead of letting off the gas I will keep it pinned or at desired thottle and just pull the clutch all the way in real fast and click up without letting off. Is this okay? or bad for the bike? I usually just leave clutch out when down shifting as I know there is no harm being done.

The clutch in the bike can take it, it's a professional dirt bike the pro's do it all the time, most times without even using the clutch. I do it all the time.

what brentn said. it is faster to roll of a tad and make a quick clutchless shift.. use the clutch when you have to, not all the time. it is actually HARDER on clutch plates pulling the clutch in, having the rpm's go to the moon.. then let the clutch out and have the plates try and catch up and come together.

I dont even use the clutch at all when shifting, its less strain on the clutch and ive never had a problem with it.

The clutch in the bike can take it, it's a professional dirt bike the pro's do it all the time, most times without even using the clutch. I do it all the time.

they use the clutch almost every shift..

its the best thing to learn IMO fastest shifts=holeshots,higher rpms everywhere,keeps momentem up,etc..etc..

I personally dont hold WOT, i do something simular, kind of with out thinking, ill rip hard, let off throttle Really quick, shift, pin er, its a smooth thing, shifts quick, and no hard loss of rpm's or anything, a nice smooth shift, only time i use the clutch is when im stopping or starting, or slow riding in 1st i might ride the clutch a bit as i trail ride some times

I just blip the throttle off WOT and slip the clutch a little for upshifts. Down shifts blip the throttle and about 1/2 clutch.

isnt it better for the transmition if you use the clutch tho?
Clutchless shifting won't damage your tranny at all. All you are doing when you shift is engaging/disengaging the dog rings, the gears are always engaged. Sequential constant-mesh transmissions are designed to shift with no clutch.