Sign in to follow this  

KX 100 Clutch Problem

Hi Guys!

I have a problem with my 1997 KX100's Clutch. When I pull in the clutch handle there is no freeplay and it is nice and resistance, it also seems to pull the clutch lever (or whatever it is called) on the right handside of the crankcase fully.

But the problem is this :

If I come to a stop in any gear with the clutch handle pulled in, the bike will stall because it is in gear even with the clutch pulled in! The clutch does make a slight difference, but not enough and just causes it too stall. It seems like the clutch isn't working fully.

The actual cable seems ok judging from the resistance and there is no freeplay, and it also seems to move the clutch lever.

What could be causing the problem? Could it need new clutch plates?

Thanks and ATB

James

needs new clutch plates and steels. Also may need a basket.

needs new clutch plates and steels. Also may need a basket.

How do I tell if it needs a new basket?

What would happen if I carried on riding the bike without changing the plated?

Thanks and ATB!

I have looked on eBay and have found the following :

Mitaka Clutch Plate & Spring Kit

Apico Clutch Metal Plate Set - Looks to be cheap and doesn't include as much as the kit above.

Finally, here is a Basket if I need one : KX 100 Clutch Basket - It is off a used bike, but appears to be in good, fully working order. I would rather not buy new because they are £90!!!

What is your opinion on the parts above?

Thanks and ATB!

Your clutch basket gets grooves in the fingers. Then the clutch will not fully disengage. You can file them down smooth one time before needing a new one. My sons kx65 years ago did this. This fixed worked great

Your clutch basket gets grooves in the fingers. Then the clutch will not fully disengage. You can file them down smooth one time before needing a new one. My sons kx65 years ago did this. This fixed worked great

Thanks for that information, that could save me quite a lot of money! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Did you just use a file? Don't suppose you have any photos do you?

Thanks and ATB!

Hi Guys,

I am taking the old Clutch Plates out to check them, and see there thickness and warp.

I am using the Service Manual, but I am a little confused on this part :

IMG_0114.jpg

How do I step on the rear brake pedal if they told me to remove it?:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do I actually need to follow that 'note' or can I just carry on without having to put it into gear?

Thanks and ATB!

yea i used a file then smoothed them out with a scotch brite pad on a high speed wheel. Matter a fact i just did it to my sons kx100 last week when we re-did the clutch. Its best to use a impact wrench. By copper they mean a penny.Use a penny in the gear...

yea i used a file then smoothed them out with a scotch brite pad on a high speed wheel. Matter a fact i just did it to my sons kx100 last week when we re-did the clutch. Its best to use a impact wrench. By copper they mean a penny.Use a penny in the gear...

Ahh, Thanks for that! :thumbsup:

So I just need to put the bike into gear and put a penny in between the primary gear and clutch housing?

Sorry for being stupid, but what is it best to use a impact wrench on?

Thanks and ATB!