Where's The Fork Oil????

That's what I was asking myself this morning when I went to change it out on my 02 300 MXC open chamber forks.

Opened the left fork and found the spring had rust on it and there was water drops on the inside of the cap, awww crap :thumbsup:. What little bit of oil still in the fork was a nasty looking grey/brown and had the viscosity of water. Full dis-assembly (no other issues found) , clean, flush and refilled with fresh oil.

Right fork had the proper amount of oil, but it was grey/silver metallic :thumbsup:. Can't catch a break anywhere. Same proceedure on this fork as I did on the left, no other issues found, refilled to the proper height with fresh oil.

A short ride around the backyard / alley dodging the easter egg hunters indicated MUCH better performance, will give it a good test next weekend. :bonk::cheers:

That's what I was asking myself this morning when I went to change it out on my 02 300 MXC open chamber forks.

Opened the left fork and found the spring had rust on it and there was water drops on the inside of the cap, awww crap :thumbsup:. What little bit of oil still in the fork was a nasty looking grey/brown and had the viscosity of water. Full dis-assembly (no other issues found) , clean, flush and refilled with fresh oil.

Right fork had the proper amount of oil, but it was grey/silver metallic :thumbsup:. Can't catch a break anywhere. Same proceedure on this fork as I did on the left, no other issues found, refilled to the proper height with fresh oil.

A short ride around the backyard / alley dodging the easter egg hunters indicated MUCH better performance, will give it a good test next weekend. :bonk::cheers:

My son's 65 was the same way when I pulled it apart. Unfortunately, some smaller tuners will do this as a "revalve" and give it back to the customer. Of course it will be better, but how much better could it have been???

susp should be serviced once a year with regular riding.

Once a year? Dang, I dont get ride as much as I would like. Did my forks two years ago and they havent leaked a bit, oils good, they work perfect. Why did I decide to have childrend. Babies make for a short ridding season.

susp should be serviced once a year with regular riding.

Ya I know it should be done yearly, I bought the bike in September last year, it had some issues that I have been working on and finally got around to the suspension, I'm going to get another couple quarts of fork oil and change it out again in a couple of weeks.

Why did I decide to have childrend. Babies make for a short ridding season.

Get the little ones out on a bike ASAP and your riding season will get longer :thumbsup:

Ya I know it should be done yearly, I bought the bike in September last year, it had some issues that I have been working on and finally got around to the suspension, I'm going to get another couple quarts of fork oil and change it out again in a couple of weeks.

Get the little ones out on a bike ASAP and your riding season will get longer :thumbsup:

That is one thing I liked about the OC forks, being able to at least change the oil myself. I won't be able to do that any more until I can see what it takes to service the TC stuff.

Yep, the kids may get you riding more, for me, riding less, at least for me. I am pit man for my oldest at this point, and I don't mind. He is racing this year and I can't afford for both of us to race...

My youngest Son and I raced together for a little while, I told him "In the pits you're my Son and I love you, but out on the course you're just another competitor to be used for traction"

He routinely kicked my old butt and used me for traction on more then a few occasions :thumbsup:

I take it you were not riding the bike like that?

I take it you were not riding the bike like that?

Sunday thru Friday it sat in the garage, Saturday however, it was riden in the woods, even did a desert race in that condition.

Two things I learned from this experience:

1. One should always give a new (used) bike a very complete checkout, including ALL fluids once they get it home. :thumbsup:

2. WP shocks sure can take some hella abuse and still perform :thumbsup:

My youngest Son and I raced together for a little while, I told him "In the pits you're my Son and I love you, but out on the course you're just another competitor to be used for traction"

He routinely kicked my old butt and used me for traction on more then a few occasions :thumbsup:

:cheers::lol::bonk::thumbsup::banana:

You know you're getting old when your offspring use you for traction and "hoot" you out of the way during a race!

Great post!

-Jay