Sign in to follow this  

Time for some tt case savers...

f48d18b9.jpg

Fell off the stand about 3 weeks ago. Noticed the dent but after letting the bike sit for the first time since then (love to ride everyday!) I noticed 2 small drops that seeped out over two days. Honestly didn't know it was seeping before. Tomorrow I'll get some jb weld and then order some tt covers to cover the mark.

Can the covers be painted black easily? Rattle can easy?

Anything can be painted , it is all in the preparation . Sand it , clean it , prime it and then paint it and you should be good to go , greg

I found some carbon fibre looking ones on ebay that I thought looked really cool. I cant decide which ones to get. They both work out to around the same price. It would save you from having to paint them

I'd recomend taking Off the stator cover and cleaning all the oil off inside and out before using JB weld. Might consider Putting JB on the Inside case aswell.

I'd recomend taking Off the stator cover and cleaning all the oil off inside and out before using JB weld. Might consider Putting JB on the Inside case aswell.

Will that require draining all the oil? I just changed it hahaha. On my shopping list is red loctite too so I can do all those too. But if I gotta drain all the oil that is going to suck.

I found some carbon fibre looking ones on ebay that I thought looked really cool. I cant decide which ones to get. They both work out to around the same price. It would save you from having to paint them

Link?

I always wondered why guys buy case savers?

Is it because they are stronger than stock ones?

I did notice that after doing some off road that the MX boots did scratch them quite badly, would TT ones not get scratched so easily?

Sorry for the question in your post, cheers.

Will that require draining all the oil? I just changed it hahaha. On my shopping list is red loctite too so I can do all those too. But if I gotta drain all the oil that is going to suck.

I wouldnt worry about dropping the oil. Lay the bike on it's right side. Very little oil in the left case once let sit on it's side to drain to the other side. I use blue lactate on the stator bolts. You can re use the gasket just be careful with it.

the case sides are notorious for being weak and extremely expensive to replace. plus, its only $30 or so for some damn good insurance. The case savers go on top of the case sides.

also look up the price for a replacement radiator, and THATS why most of us have unabikers as well.

If that sort of damage occurred in the garage, imagine what could happen on the street/trail

I always wondered why guys buy case savers?

Is it because they are stronger than stock ones?

I did notice that after doing some off road that the MX boots did scratch them quite badly, would TT ones not get scratched so easily?

Sorry for the question in your post, cheers.

No need to apologize for questions, that's what this site is for. From what I've read it's because the magnesium in the covers is thin and brittle as wel as expensive. I never thought I'd need them because I don't intend on going off road. But a little tip over is all my bike took and now it's broken. The case guards will take the thumps and even if they crack or scratch your engine cases (the ones that matter to keep your engine running) will be fine. And you can replace the guards if they get too bogered up.

707- correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still a noob at this but I learn quick.

No need to apologize for questions, that's what this site is for. From what I've read it's because the magnesium in the covers is thin and brittle as wel as expensive. I never thought I'd need them because I don't intend on going off road. But a little tip over is all my bike took and now it's broken. The case guards will take the thumps and even if they crack or scratch your engine cases (the ones that matter to keep your engine running) will be fine. And you can replace the guards if they get too bogered up.

707- correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still a noob at this but I learn quick.

The littlest drop can yield pricey.... Your not wrong. Be sure if you have yet to already grind down the sharp edge on the back of your shifter. Just by rounding it off can Lower the chances of a crack

I have the case savers but I need to file that lever down any way. It really poked a hole in that cover.

Mine just tipped over. No big deal, broke the clutch lever and the scratch in the case. But now the slow seep of oil from a tiny drop. $36 for the covers vs $125 for a new case...

1f484f49.jpg

So $17 and half an afternoon later she's all good, aside from the jb weld curing. Went with the regular jb weld instead of the fast one for the extra heat resistance.

Did the stator loctite fix too. The 6 bolts attaching the stator to the bike engine ( I forget the name) were wicked tight. The one I got out was already loctited in so I added more and just made sure the others were tight. Too easy.