Stock SM Carb performance?

Hi All,

I am very happy with my 6 months old new DRZ400SM.

I know the stock carb isn't great hence everyones jetting and FCR etc.

The bike is very crap at going slowly.

You basically can't drive slowly in 1st gear e.g. round a round-a-bout (traffic circle) without using the clutch. The bike sort of lunges as you crack the throttle open. Whereas by mates 400e is very smooth at low speed.

So, is that just how it is or should I be looking at some minor carb adjustments? I don't want to fiddle if that is just how the stock carb is!

Thanks in advance.

I have a stock brand new one as well and I feel the same way you do. The throttle and clutch feel way different than what Iam used to. I have been riding for 12 years and cant remember the last time I have ever stalled a bike and I have already stalled this one a few times. Iam hoping this is normal and will just take some getting used to.

Bryce , read up on the pair valve and solenoide removal , but more importantly get the 3x3 mod and rejet done . This is what is causing it to run like crap . The jetting from the factory is set to pass emission controls not to have fun on your new toy :thumbsup: . When I took my bike for it`s demo ride I didnt notice any of the surging and stumbling , but once I bought it , didnt I ! :bonk: It was a pig on and off the throttle and it surged all the time at constant throttle in the lower gears . This is something I didnt do when I took it for the demo as I was the first person to ride it once it was wet down and I used the mototune method for demo ride :cheers: . Once you open up the air intake and change the needle and jets you will notice an enormous amount of difference and it will run nearly as good as your mates "E" , but with the exhaust , cams , compression and carby the "SM" has , this will never quite be the same , greg :thumbsup:

you know you can spend $600 on a new carb but its still a DRZ.... not an RMZ...450 or 250. IMHO not worth $600.

you know you can spend $600 on a new carb but its still a DRZ.... not an RMZ...450 or 250. IMHO not worth $600.

Well, I recently added the FCR to my S and I'd say its worth the $600. Throttle response is so much better it really improves the rideability of the bike.

was it worth 10+% the price of your whole bike?

Since I only paid $3600 for my bike its more like 17% of the purchase price. Still worth it.

I did the rejet with the JD kit and it was a big improvement over stock. Still a little abrupt coming off a closed throttle, at low speed, but it is a CV carb and I don't think there is any way to stop it completly. The FCR has a pump that gives a little squirt of gas as you crack the throttle, that should eliminate the issue.

Hi All,

You basically can't drive slowly in 1st gear e.g. round a round-a-bout (traffic circle) without using the clutch. The bike sort of lunges as you crack the throttle open. Whereas by mates 400e is very smooth at low speed.

So, is that just how it is or should I be looking at some minor carb adjustments? I don't want to fiddle if that is just how the stock carb is!

Thanks in advance.

What do you think the RPMs and speed are when you are going round the round-a-bout? Remember, the E has lower gearing, so for the same speed and gear, the E is running higher RPMs.

My real question is, are you lugging the engine?

What do you think the RPMs and speed are when you are going round the round-a-bout? Remember, the E has lower gearing, so for the same speed and gear, the E is running higher RPMs.

My real question is, are you lugging the engine?

I hear what you are saying regarding the E gearing.

Don't know what the RPM's are as no rev counter.

I am not lugging the engine.

When the dealer unpacks the bike and assembles it do they need to trim the carb settings or do they just put it all together?

From reading the replies it is probably just that this is how the stock carb performs but am still wondering if some gentle tweeks may help a little?

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

I had the same issues with lunging in 1st, I rejetted with JD kit and 3x3 and it is much better. Still can't coast with the clutch out in 1st with no throttle like on the bikes I trained on but believe me it's worth the $80

I hear what you are saying regarding the E gearing.

Don't know what the RPM's are as no rev counter.

I am not lugging the engine.

When the dealer unpacks the bike and assembles it do they need to trim the carb settings or do they just put it all together?

From reading the replies it is probably just that this is how the stock carb performs but am still wondering if some gentle tweeks may help a little?

The dealer just puts on the mirrors and install the battery, and get it out the door.

I've never seen a dealer fiddeling on the carb of a new bike

I'd go for the FCR. I Just bought my '07 SM and before I even put it on the road or rode it I threw a full RS2 Yosh and FCR on it. I can't ride a bike that sounds like a sewing machine. The FCR felt like it really woke the bike up by just revving the bike. Look around, I got about $350 into my used FCR with jetting, $415 for the exhaust and $100 in graphix (Cuz stickers add HP too).

The FCR is best way to go...but the stock BSR can be made better by doing the 3x3 mod and putting a $50 jet kit in it with the proper jetting. I was quite satisfied with my BSR after rejet...until I got the bug to go faster.