Sign in to follow this  

Refreshing the exhaust system

So I got the birthday discount and Im going through and replacing all the gromets, bolts and nuts along the the exhaust system. I found just about everyone of them however, there is a bolt Im missing and I cant seem to find it on the exploded view. It is the nut and bolt that goes through the frame connecting the metal piece that comes off the bottom of the expansion chamber to hold it in place. Anyone know which one it is?

You mean the one in the black bracket in this pic?

IMAG0155.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I lost it a long time ago but I could of sworn it went through frame and came out the other side. The exploded view doesnt look like that.

Maybe I don't understand what your doing but pretty much every bolt on these bikes can be found at the local hardware store..

They both thread into captive threads, the bigger, 7mm I think it is, threads into the frame, the smaller 6mm into the pipe.....at least on mine it does.

Maybe I don't understand what your doing but pretty much every bolt on these bikes can be found at the local hardware store..

While that is true, I am buying the grommets and brackets with it and I like to support the website that gives me a place to talk about dirt bikes for free and tolerates the posts I make in TS.

They both thread into captive threads, the bigger, 7mm I think it is, threads into the frame, the smaller 6mm into the pipe.....at least on mine it does.

What year is yours? I dont think there was any threads on my frame but I did only try a 6mm that was too small and a 8mm was too big. Thanks for the help and Ill make sure to check that.

So I just went to check it out and now I know why the bolt is missing, the threads are completely missing. I mean its not that they are damaged, I mean gone. Its amazing the crap I find here and there on this bike that was damaged in one way or another by the previous owner. Now my question is, anyone have an idea for what I could do to attach that bracket? There isnt enough material to recut the threads however. If I could possibly find a metric bolt long enough to put a nut on the other end that would be helpful but 100MM long 6mm bolts are hard to come by.

try a threadsert or riv-nut. it is a nut that sets like a rivet

Hi there

and how about welding the thread hole shut, drilling a 5mm hole and cutting a new thread into that?

Regards

Arnego2

Possible, Ill have to talk to the guy at work that welds for that one. Nice thing about having a steel frame is it will be simple.

try a threadsert or riv-nut. it is a nut that sets like a rivet

That sounds interesting but what about when I change exhausts? Would the rivnut come back out?

Hi there

it can be done also with the alumium frame :thumbsup:

Good luck

Arnego2

While thats true, welding aluminum is harder than welding steel.

Possible, Ill have to talk to the guy at work that welds for that one. Nice thing about having a steel frame is it will be simple.

That sounds interesting but what about when I change exhausts? Would the rivnut come back out?

No.....it is there till you drill it out.

You could tap it oversized and use a Allen bolt too.